Question about Power Inverters

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by membergone, Mar 16, 2006.

1. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, I expect 1400 responses to this topic as well. :rotfl: :roll2:

In all seriousness, I am thinking about getting a power inverter for the boat so I can fillet fish at that lake and not have the mess all over the place.

ALL of the 12 volt fillet knives are trash, so don't make that suggestion. PLUS they are just as expensive as a power inverter that can be used for something besides filleting fish or cutting up the thanksgiving turkey on the tailgate of a pickup.

My question is; there is an 800 watt model with two plugs for 44 bones at Wal-Mart. Does anyone with experience with these things think it would run two 110 volt fillet knives for say 45 min? IF not, what about running 1 for 45 min?

Thanks in advance for any input! :cheers:
  2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

It all depends on how much you used your trollling motor that day.
    You could always plug that inverter into the truck and start it up midway through the session. I would have to think that a fresh trolling motor battery could run a knife for 45 minutes. Heck try it and see, if you don't like it you can always take it back - it IS Wal-Mart.

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    WOW! Hayzer.......I never thought about that! That's the ticket, try it and take it back if I don't like it!

Frankly, I was thinking of hooking it up to the cranking battery on the boat and leaving the motor running. The motor may put back as much as the knife/knives take out.

Aside from that, I can't imagine that the knives would be as much of a drain on a trolling motor battery as a trolling motor running all day. But I am NO electrician.

I'm gonna get one and try it. NOW to catch some fish to try it ON! :cheers:
  4. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Hmmm, this is sounding like the 110v drains a battery a lot faster than I thought it would.

Maybe I am gonna have to just use a 12v knife. Man, but they lack horsepower. AND they get hot in your hand quick which I know cannot be good!
  5. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Try it with your truck runnning now and then. You can clean 'em on the tailgate and whip right through them.
  6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

You better wait and try it up here though DSG. I've got your knife AND an inverter to test out this weekend. HA
  7. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    My unsolicited advice would be

To buy the smallest one available that would carry the load.

The reason being that the inverter itself is a drain on a battery as it consumes energy without a load on it just converting 12v to 115v.

Check the knife if it draws 175w buy a 200w continious load with a 400w surge capability.

That advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

8. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    we use a big one when we go to Canada, it powers a Small TV/vcr for my daughter to watch movies on the drive. with the car off it will run for a while. i cant answer your questions completly but i dont think you will have any problems. the good thing is your knife wont run constant,, only when you press the button.

id go for it.
  9. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    thanks MrWonderful! That sounds logical. In other words, this is one of those cases where "buying a bigger one because it costs more has to be better" is not neccesarily true. I'll check the knives to check their draw.

And then again, if I wanted to run TWO knives, it might be better to have two smaller ones than one bigger one.

Thanks for your input! :cheers:
  10. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I use to run an inverter in a service vehicle, the power switching on and off would kill them pretty fast. We ended up buying a much bigger inverter than we need to make them last. Buy extra fuses if you get one.
  11. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Well----I have cleaned limts for 4 people and this knife stays charged for that chore---------

Rapala ProGuide Rechargeable Cordless Electric Fillet Knife Set

12. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Not to rain on your parade or anything, but this is straight out of the wildlife code.

3 CSR 10-6.405 General Provisions

(3)(C) Regardless of where taken, no fish less than the specified minimum length limit shall be possessed on the waters or banks thereof to which length limits apply. The head, tail and skin must remain attached to all fish for which length limits are established while those fish are on the waters to which length limits apply or until the fish have been checked by an agent of the department.

Didn't know if you were aware of this or not. Do with it what you want. Just thought I'd pass it along.
  13. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Droptine, Yes, I knew of that regulation. I'm talking about dressing them once the trip is completed. I suppose if some upstart agent wants to debate where the "banks" end I'm willing to fight that battle if I have to. :cheers:

Pman. I've tried that knife too. It's handy yes but short on horsepower (for my preference) to do a quick job. :cheers:
  14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  15. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Rick, now that looks like the ticket, and reasonably priced too.
  16. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County