Question about overdraw

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by deer_slayer, Feb 20, 2006.

1. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    If the longer brace height, the more forgiving a bow is, then does having an overdraw take away a little forgiveness?

:confused::confused:

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

3. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    I agree with Steve, the basic rason for the overdraws was to be able to go with a small length of arrow and to get more speed out of a bow. They are pretty much obselete these days with the new risers and cams systems that most newer bows have. Just my .02

MoBowman ```---------->

4. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    Reason I ask is because Mathews has a rest that you can get with a 0 or 1" overdraw. I was trying to decide which way to go if I get one. This would be on a Switchback XT (33" axle to axle, 7.5" brace height). Right now I'm thinking the 0 would make more sense, since the axle to axle is so short and the brace height is average. I think the 1 inch might make the bow a real challenge to shoot.

Any thoughts?

5. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Yes it does make a difference, But with the 1 inch overdraw you should be ok depending on your shooting form.

6. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I myself like the drop away rests. I just put a Cobra Diamondback on mine and my groups have gotten tighter and my arrow won't fall off as easy. I'll also bet it is quite a bit cheaper than the Mathews rest. If you got a drop away you won't have to worry about the amount of overdraw.

7. D.R.N.18

D.R.N.18 New Member

Feb 13, 2006
    I would have to agree with every one else. The extra 7-9 grains on the arrow you would save for speed, isnt going to do any good if you cant put the arrow where you want. With the speed of the Switchback, I think you could afford to lose a couple F.P.S. just for the forgiveness. As far as rests go, I would seriously look at drop-aways. They seem even more forgiving than standard rests, I dont know if that is an option you are considering. But If it was between a 6.5 brace height and 7.5, I would take the 7.5. Good luck with your set-up.

8. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    If I were you, don't mess with an overdraw. They do take away forgiveness...bottom line. Simply shoot carbon arrows, full length. You cant go wrong!

9. deer_slayer

deer_slayer New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    High Ridge, MO
    The Mathews rest I was referring to IS a drop-away. But it sounds like I should still go with 0 instead of the 1" overdraw.

10. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

The only thing I know about overdraws is that I've heard people have had the arrow fall off the rest and stick in their wrist a little. Once that happens, if nobody is nearby to help you have to release and shoot yourself through the wrist.

I don't know if that's true, but if it is I'd sure think twice about getting one. :eek:

11. thh058

thh058 Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Jefferson County
    if you're shooting a drop away rest with an over draw, i don't think it will make a difference in forgiveness.

the brace height also affects the power stroke of your bow (how long the string is pushing the arrow). the longer the arrow is on the string, the less forgiving (but faster) the bow will be.

however, if you are NOT shooting a drop away rest, i think it would not be as forgiving.

:cheers:

12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Man, that just scares the crap out of me! Bad mental images. OUCH.

13. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    I think i would try and knock the Nock off first! any thing but shoot myself in the hand

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I just dont see anymore overdraws used nowadays. Are folks using them more than I realize??

15. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Like it was said, overdraws are obsolete, and can be dangerous on newer bows. I'll have to see if I can find the high speed footage of a bow being shot. The string travels about an extra 3 inches or so forward of its relaxed position. So........4 in overdraw on a bow with 6" brace height might = KABOOM!

16. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    I dont see them on newer bows. But still know people that shoot them on old bows. You really dont need them with todays bow technology.:cheers: