question about mounting a duck

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by Pastor, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    No I dont have one yet but would love to get a wood duck mounted. How do you know if the feathers are ok for mounting. I read something about the feahters being not ready for a while after a molt. The article said that they would fall out or something.

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Maybe someone in the Taxidermy forum could answer this...

3. Yahoo

Yahoo Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Pastor,

Call Robert, 314.423.8980, tucker brothers taxidermy. He knows more about bird anatomy than anyone I know, its what he does. I am sure he'd be glad to answer any questions, and I know he is working tomorrow.

--Jim

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Only way to know for sure is get the bird to the taxidood, it takes a physical inspection.

:cheers:

5. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    [rquote=1873920&tid=130462&author=Rebel]Only way to know for sure is get the bird to the taxidood, it takes a physical inspection.

:cheers:[/rquote]

What is it that he is looking for (just for educational perposes)

6. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    A bird in hand is worth more then 2 in the bush.

Sorry I count resist.

7. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

I shot a beautiful drake woodie and a hen yesterday that I am getting mounted, I will ask the taxidermist about it and let you know what I find out. I hope you knock a good one down! They sure are pretty birds!

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1873928&tid=130462&author=Pastor][rquote=1873920&tid=130462&author=Rebel]Only way to know for sure is get the bird to the taxidood, it takes a physical inspection.

:cheers:[/rquote]

What is it that he is looking for (just for educational perposes)[/rquote]

Pin feathers, overall condition of bird etc.

Lots of factors that a good taxi will look at before accepting your bird because if it doesnt turn out good, well you wont be happy nor will they.

9. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    Taxi told me that he wants want that looks like he died of a heartattack and landed next to your blind.

10. What ever you do if its a mountable duck do not ring the neck and take care of the wings

11. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    [rquote=1874256&tid=130462&author=greenheadsmoker]What ever you do if its a mountable duck do not ring the neck and take care of the wings [/rquote]

that's easy for you to say
    you've usually got a pillow handy to smother the poor creature
    :stirpot:

12. Just because you rung your woodie doesnt mean everyone else has to :D

13. Two thumbs to the chest boys, it aint that hard.

14. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    twasnt my first...that one i took before you were born & ducks were worth points :D

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1874995&tid=130462&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]twasnt my first...that one i took before you were born & ducks were worth points :D[/rquote]

Was nice killin 10 teal a day :whistle: