Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about Grandpa\'s Gun.............

All that I know about this gun is that it is a Mosseberg 12 ga C LECT Choke and can shoot 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. It is also a bolt action shotgun. I also check in the inside of the barrel and it is showing that it is .730. What choke is that?

Thanks for any and all information on this gun.

:cheers:

[file]45033[/file]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chad here is some of the damage that I was telling you about lastnight on the phone

[file]45034[/file]

·
Registered
69,522 Posts
By your measurement of .730 the charts say it is an improved cylinder. Good rabbit and quail gun. My Mom has my Grandfathers shotgun that is very similar to yours. I can't remember what the make is but I do know it is a bolt action and has a clip. If memory serves me it was a 16 gauge. Yours looks like it has been refinished and as for the crack....IMO it shouldn't hurt to shoot it with lighter loads for hunting. As Chad said above....get it pinned if you can. Pretty simple to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mailman I am going to have Chad take it to his buddy and have him do it when I get the extra funds

Any idea on how old it is or maybe what model it could be.

The serial number is 388057

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
a pure open bore on a 12 ga (pre overbore models) is .728" to .730" depending on models and the europene models sometimes were a tad smaller .725". if your's is .730" i would say it is a cylinder bore. an improved cylinder should be .010" less than the open bore(or .720" in this case). a .005" restriction would be a skeet bore. if your true bore is a true 12 ga bore of .728" then your .730" would be considered a slightly negative bore.

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Originally posted by looking_for_guns
Mailman I am going to have Chad take it to his buddy and have him do it when I get the extra funds

Any idea on how old it is or maybe what model it could be.

The serial number is 388057

We may just be able to do it ourselves. Let me do some checking.:thinking::thinking:

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Originally posted by JimH
a pure open bore on a 12 ga (pre overbore models) is .728" to .730" depending on models and the europene models sometimes were a tad smaller .725". if your's is .730" i would say it is a cylinder bore. an improved cylinder should be .010" less than the open bore(or .720" in this case). a .005" restriction would be a skeet bore. if your true bore is a true 12 ga bore of .728" then your .730" would be considered a slightly negative bore.
Not sure what i was thinking on the modified. That makes sense what jim posted. Like i told ya yesterday, i figured it was a cylindrical, for shooting slugs. Thus, the sights on it. :cheers:

·
19,117 Posts
pretty simple fix on the stock, if your unsuccessfull in getting it done let me know, i'll tackle it for ya, i have all supplies on hand from doing 3 other shotguns split through the grip like that

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
Originally posted by yankee
pretty simple fix on the stock, if your unsuccessfull in getting it done let me know, i'll tackle it for ya, i have all supplies on hand from doing 3 other shotguns split through the grip like that
I figure we can do it. Im pretty handy at about everything. But some info and guidance would sure be a help..:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
ok after re-reading the post i have a couple questions. you mention that it states it is a C-Lect Choke, which i thought was something similar to a polly choke. (adjustable choke system) and then you state you checked the inside of the barrel. was that at the muzzle, truely giving us your choke dia? or was that inside the barrel down from the muzzle, thus giving us your true barrel bore dia? any chance you could snap a photo of the end of the barrel at the muzzle?

·
Registered
13,334 Posts
ok after re-reading the post i have a couple questions. you mention that it states it is a C-Lect Choke, which i thought was something similar to a polly choke. (adjustable choke system) and then you state you checked the inside of the barrel. was that at the muzzle, truely giving us your choke dia? or was that inside the barrel down from the muzzle, thus giving us your true barrel bore dia? any chance you could snap a photo of the end of the barrel at the muzzle?
Thats what i thought when he said it was a c-lect. I have seen those mossberg bolts with both poly chokes, and chokes that screw on the outside, as well as the standard fixed barrel. I thought the same thing. Another thing that threw me off was that it has rifle sights on it. :thinking:

·
19,117 Posts
Originally posted by Chad
Originally posted by yankee
I figure we can do it. Im pretty handy at about everything. But some info and guidance would sure be a help..:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:
any questions fire away, on those i did, i did not pin them, i split em out the rest of the way, used a small drillbit and made tiny holes all over on the split halves. coated good with accu-glas, and aligned the 2 halves and clamped em together with 3/8in surgical tubing letting em set overnight, was quite effective and the split could not be seen unless you knew where to look

·
19,117 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Originally posted by Chad
yes, that other type is like a Cutts Compensator system.

Thats what i thought when he said it was a c-lect. I have seen those mossberg bolts with both poly chokes, and chokes that screw on the outside, as well as the standard fixed barrel. I thought the same thing. Another thing that threw me off was that it has rifle sights on it. :thinking:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the outside of the barrel JimH

[file]45050[/file]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts