Question about 20 guage on turkeys

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by riverbottomhunter, Apr 26, 2006.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Went out scouting this morning looking for a bird for my fience to shoot tomorrow and had one work really good. A couple years back she went hunting with me and took my 20 guage. It has been a couple years since we patterned it for turkeys and I can't remember how far out it held a good patern. I won't have a chance to shoot it today so does anyone have any ideas what the max range it will have?
    Rem 870 3" with a modified choke. I might have a chance to get to the store today & pick up a full choke, that is if they have any.
    I am guessing with a modified choke 20 guage the max distance will probably be only 30 yds?

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    yep w/ mod choke, i wouldnt push it more then 30... maybe even 25ish... oh and the reason i say that i have practically the same gun, my wife was gonna hunt last year and i patterened it and after 25 yards it started blowing big holes in the pattern regardless of the shells used...

3. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Did you get a chance to try it with a full choke?

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    unfortunately i didnt, i wished i had... just assuming but w/ full id say youd be safe out to 30.. maybe 35

5. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    Rbh,

I've got an extra full choke you can use if you like.

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    My 20 ga is a fixed full choke and I don't think I'd try it past 30. Even with 3" mag copper plated 6 shot the pattern was REALLY starting to spread at 30 yds. The bird I shot Monday was at 28 and it dropped him pretty good.

7. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I would take you up on that, but we are heading out in the morning. Maybe I can talk her into shooting my 1187 3" 12 guage. That will have alot less kick than my 835. She has shot clays with my 1187 & it seams to fit her pretty good.

8. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    If she gets a shot at a bird she wont feel the kick at all. :D

9. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Thats what I keep telling her.:cheers:

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'll be in town on friday afternoon, and I have a remington 20 xxfull choke tube if you want to try it for the rest of the season!!! I'll bring it with me just in case...My appointment is at 3 that afternoon, in Salisbury....

11. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yep, I agree with 25 yards with a modified. Bring your decoys into about 15 so that you get them into range for sure. Cfraz used my 20 pop this morning. She plastered him at 10 yards. We had the decoy at about 15.

I've got an XX full choke in that gun, and I 'accidentally' killed one at 40 yards with it last year.

Parker