quaker boy waterproof box call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by deep woods goat hunter, Mar 21, 2006.

1. has ne one used the quaker boy waterproof hurricane box call. Pros and cons thinking of buying one....

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I'd say 'water resistant' not water proof. I don't like the sound of that call personally.

I've found that the quick easy way to waterproof a box call is to carry it in a gallon zip lock bag.

I'd try out some friend's calls and see what sounds good. That little bit of coating on that call is not worth buying....IMO

Just my .02

Parker

3. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I agree with Parker. My favorite box call maker is M L Lynch. A lot of lumber has been wasted on box calls over the years. If at all possible try to play the particular call you intend to buy.

4. parker and poor valley thanks for your 2 cents i was wondering about the coated paddle and how long it night last

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    At this point, I carry an H.S. Strut Field Champion "Natural". The reason I like this call is because it has a 'stopper' on it that keeps it from making any noise when not in use.

I only use box calls for locator cutting though. I prefer a slate and a mouth call for regular calling.

Get you a call that you like, and get after 'em! :cheers:

Parker

6. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    got a penns woods waterproof for my birthday a couple years ago. sounds alright when you are by it not anywhere near my favorite but get out about 100 yards and it sounds great.

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    No wooden box call is waterproof, period. If the call absorbs any moisture at all it isn't gonna sound worth a hoot. I've tried these waterproof calls and they just don't have a good two note yelp to me. If you want something waterproof go for a glass or aluminum friction call with an acryllic or carbon striker. Or the ole standby a mouth yelper.

Jack