Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
I'd say 'water resistant' not water proof. I don't like the sound of that call personally.

I've found that the quick easy way to waterproof a box call is to carry it in a gallon zip lock bag.

I'd try out some friend's calls and see what sounds good. That little bit of coating on that call is not worth buying....IMO

Just my .02

Parker

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I agree with Parker. My favorite box call maker is M L Lynch. A lot of lumber has been wasted on box calls over the years. If at all possible try to play the particular call you intend to buy.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
At this point, I carry an H.S. Strut Field Champion "Natural". The reason I like this call is because it has a 'stopper' on it that keeps it from making any noise when not in use.

I only use box calls for locator cutting though. I prefer a slate and a mouth call for regular calling.

Get you a call that you like, and get after 'em! :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
got a penns woods waterproof for my birthday a couple years ago. sounds alright when you are by it not anywhere near my favorite but get out about 100 yards and it sounds great.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
No wooden box call is waterproof, period. If the call absorbs any moisture at all it isn't gonna sound worth a hoot. I've tried these waterproof calls and they just don't have a good two note yelp to me. If you want something waterproof go for a glass or aluminum friction call with an acryllic or carbon striker. Or the ole standby a mouth yelper.

Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.