quail on your property?

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by Bowkil, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i had a good population of bobwhites on my property last year. i say about 25. then all the sudden they all vanished. i hunted my property for and predators didnt call in any or see any tracks. i went down the my foodplot earlier today i climbed up into my treestand observing the trees i was going to cut for bigger food plot. when i heard them. i tried to call them in closer to see how many there was, but they only came it to about 60 yards, i didnt see them though. my question is can someone tell me what to do tokeep them here? if any of my neighbors see them they gonna shoott hem, so their safe at my property. but what can i plant to keep them here??? or just keep throwing out crackcorn?
    thanks for any advice.
    oyeah i hunt them during season, but i only use my bow.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005

3. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    More warm season grasses, and, in my opinion, we need to start doing something about the protected predators. I'm all for protecting endangered species and certain beneficial predators, but, in my opinion, one of the biggest problems we have with the current quail and rabbit populations is the growth in population of the red tail hawk and owls. I see a lot more hawks and owlsthan I ever used to see as a kid. We have great rabbit habitat, but no rabbits to speak of. We have a few quail, but our neighbor stocks them, so I think most are not native to Boone County.

I remember manu of my redneck kin shooting "chickenhawks". Now, everyone understands they are protected. Now there are few quail and rabbits. The habitat hasn't really changed. The only thing that has is the numbers of birds of prey in the area.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I agree booches.. I see more hawks nowadays and less quail/rabbits.

I had a hotshot conservation guy tell me one time that hawks rarely kill rabbits..they mostly eat mice, voles and the like.

Heres a pic I took of a redtail that I was able to walk-up to bout 20yds. He had his back to me and was obviously feeding. I watched for about 3 or 4 min and he finally spied me and took off. Heres the pics I took...

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005

here he is flying off... he had what he was eating in his talons for a bit but dropped it right away..

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005

Heres what he was eating.. now, you tell me. Does this look like a field mouse, vole or snake to you??

7. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    gotta like the graphic pic!!!
    thanks for the links.
    alot of birds of prey out here and a few owls too. i wish there was something we could do about this to rise rabbit and quail population.

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I think there are enuff red tailed hawks that they should let us buy a tag and open a season on em!!!! Would make an awesome mount fo sho!!!

9. xxx

xxx Guest

or........ follow the 3 S's in the hunting world....... Shoot, shovel and shutup.......... NOT.... just kidding.

I agree with you guys on this. The hawks have taken over. I am lucky because we have a large portion of our farms in switch grass. It allows rabbits, quail and small animals to move about and not be seen by all the high flying critters.... Our population has been pretty steady since we planted it over 8 years ago. Where we only have clover and other small grasses the rabbits have disappeared though. Where we could get 20 to 30 a season, now we are lucky to get 3 or 4. Looks like it's time to tell the endangered species lovers to take a hike.......:cheers:

10. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006

right on mrb.
    not many quail around here a lot of hawks,and too much fescue.
    been seeing a lot of pheasant's though,courtesy of one
    tornado, and heigemmeyer game farm.
    :banana:

11. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

The warm season grasses is a good idea. It's not a quick fix though,,it takes a few years for a stand to establish. Korean lespedeza is a good quail food, but you need a small grain crop too, so they have food available during snow cover periods (if that ever happens here again). It helps to have your food sources along the edge of brushy cover, so the birds have nearby escape cover from predators. You may want to check with the county ag office to see what is available with the quail restoration programs this year.

:cheers::cheers:

12. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i wanted to buy the quail bundle that the forest serice had, but they sold out. i went down there today and threw a bunch of oats, maybe some will grow.i just hope all the doves and other birds dont eat all of it, once the quail eats som of those seeds , they'll know theres food on my property and no danger. too many doves, man there was at least 20 eating all the cracked corn.

13. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

One of the best and easiest things to do is disturb ground or spray it near some brushy cover such as a plum thicket. common ragweed is at the top of the qails food list other than korean lespedeza and this is something that is easily found in disturbed areas so either break out the disc or spray you some 30 yards strips around good quail cover and you might be suprised how many quail you will end up with

Another thing that spraing and discing does is also get the clovers going which in turn attract insects a quail chicks main food.

As stated many times before native grass is another excellent thing to do for quail and many other animals. I would prefer big blue for quail espically since it stays more in clumps as opposed to switch grass or indian grass. it will take a few years for the stand to really take off but once it does look out.

Make sure if you do any improvements that the quail can actually get to it i.e. I would not spray a patch in the middle of a 100 acre fescue field. Spray along draws and other areas that quail might already be residing in.