Quail everywhere and now 2 confirmed pheasant sightings

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by deep woods goat hunter, Aug 22, 2017.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter I'm not crazy, I just want it more than you.

I have seen lots of quail around my farm, now this is the second pheasant sighting within a mile or so of my farm. I'm not much of a bird hunter but I love seeing and hearing these guys. I saw a hen also a few weeks ago.
  2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    That's got to make you feel good!

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

The pheasants have shown up southeast of you too. I would say between you and David A trapping the area as much as you have along with the good habitat things are going the ground nesters way . :tup:
  4. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    The quail at Hazelville seem to be very happy this year. while the chief egg sucker has not did to the quail and pheasant what he did to the turkey HIS OUT OF CONTROL POPULATION PROBABLY HAS LIMITED WHAT THE QUAIL AND TURKEY COULD DO.iT APPEARS THAT THE QUAIL ARE HAVING A NESTING SEASON LIKE NONE I HAVE EVER SEEN HERE.
    it appears a young yote pair have moved in. I DO NOT KNOW about yote love but they seem pretty happy with each other or it could just be puppy love.MY neighbor has been up the last couple of weeks and did not hear the coyote signing every where. That might mean that shoot on sight killing 9 and knowing of another 3 taken by dogs plus the good efforts in the area of the dog guys has set them back for now. It could mean another myth is busted.
  5. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

I saw a big covey just SW of you last weekend when I was food plotting. I tried to snap a pic, but the lil' buggers ran off to quick...:D
  6. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
  7. Phil in MO

Phil in MO White Gold Prostaff

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    That does make a guy feel good, love having them around.
  8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

How cool is that? You have made a wildlife paradise in a short time.. I tip my hat to ya sir...sorry you'll be missing Tony's wedding this weekend. I'd like for ya to meet the wife & me yours.
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Quail must have had a good hatch this spring. Around here it is definitely NOT good quail habitat and even here I'm seeing and hearing several. Good on you for your efforts!!!
  10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    We flushed two coveys at the inlaws farm last weekend. Seem to be on a steady rise, nice to see.