Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got me one today. We kicked up a nice sized covey of about 8 birds. My hunting partner for the day Eric got one and I got one. One shot One Bird. It was a nice sized quail too.

[file]82929[/file]

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
:claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:

thats a male too, you didnt damage the pool :D:cheers:

yum yum eat em up !! :woot:

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by knockemdeadd]

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
:eek::

The only quail(s) I've ever killed came while rabbit huntin.

I need to find someone with a bird dog around me....I saw at least 2 different covys everyday while deer huntin...
And every morning you'd hear them calling right at light.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
[rquote=1501053&tid=104740&author=SHEDHEAD]:eek::

The only quail(s) I've ever killed came while rabbit huntin.

I need to find someone with a bird dog around me....I saw at least 2 different covys everyday while deer huntin...
And every morning you'd hear them calling right at light.
[/rquote]

Shoot PHHunter a U2... He makes a trip up to Braymer every year and takes his Btittany's...

I sure he would mind stopping by....:claphands:

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
The farm that I deer hunt on is in a Quail restoration program and has been for the last 7-8 years. Large amounts of birds, honestly have seen coveys of up to 40 birds. Gonna let it go one more year and then we begin to hunt it :banana-man-yeah:

Spent alot of my childhood hunting quail in the same area, that was back in the day you didn't need a dog to hunt. No problem getting your limit.:2thumbsup: The season always opened on Nov 10th, which is my moms birthday, so dad and us boys would load up , head to the farm and quail hunt :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Joey,

I finally got up to our place to quail hunt. Didn't see a single bird. I know we have quite a few and for the life of me I don't know why we didn't find them.

Congrats on the birds. He'll be tasty.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dan

the farm we hunted was in shelby county. Just north of you guys. i think the town was emden.

the farm wasn't much of nothing special like your guys farm. it was just a wood strip deal and the birds were on the edge. and I later jumped another after they spread out it was a single but I gave him a pass. One was enough for me. I cleaned him when I got home and boy the meat looks so nice and it was real meaty to also around the legs. I got one earlier in november and with this one makes two so I can have a meal now.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I'd keep trying to knock a few more down. You need about 5-6 to make a meal. :cheers:

BTW, our grass is really stinking tall this year again. Makes hunting it pretty tough. Add to the fact the ag field is all sparse milo plants, weeds, clover, and wheat stubble, and it makes it unpredictable on where the birds are.

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by HabitatMD]

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ohh.....didnt know that. I rarely ever see them. Lucky enough to have gotten that one.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i think his texter is broken

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
[rquote=1501332&tid=104740&author=HabitatMD]I'd keep trying to knock a few more down. You need about 5-6 to make a meal. :cheers:

BTW, our grass is really stinking tall this year again. Makes hunting it pretty tough. Add to the fact the ag field is all sparse milo plants, weeds, clover, and wheat stubble, and it makes it unpredictable on where the birds are.

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by HabitatMD][/rquote]

I guess you gave them so much habitat they can hide from anything including you:D

You use a dog Dan?

·
5,092 Posts
aren't quail on the endangered species list in Missouri? I used to hunt them until both my dogs died of cancer. I never got back into it. Hunting quail turned into more of exercising the dogs. I sure wish we could get back to the good old days of 12 covey's a day. I don't think I'll live long enough to ever see it though. I'm glad you found some success. :cheers:

[Edited on 12/11/2009 by citybowhunter]

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
not enough quail around these parts for me to justify banging away at them anymore. as a kid i used to sure think i put a dent in the population.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
[rquote=1507091&tid=104740&author=Heart shot]I guess you gave them so much habitat they can hide from anything including you:D

You use a dog Dan?
[/rquote]

I think that is the case to tell you the truth. We litterally could spend most the day on one side of our farm and just get it covered. My bro has a German Shorthair that we use. Maybe he was having an off day. :whiteflag:

Winger, you can grow a local population to a huntable state in just a year or two if you manage for them.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by HabitatMD]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts