Putting down other peoples deer

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by citori, Nov 8, 2010.

1. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Why do some people insist on putting other hunters down over what they kill?

I feel that if what someone shoots is both legal and ethical then you should be happy for the person who killed the animal!

I just see this too often both on here and in life. What are others feelings on this?

thanks
    citori

2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Couldn't agree more.

If you don't have something positive to contribute to someone's experience keep your mouth shut. Those are generally pretty good words to live by here and in life.

If you have some kind of proof to rebut something someone says, feel free to say something, otherwise there's no point.

Bashing other's legal harvests is uncalled for. I understand there could be ethical issues that may not necessarily make a harvest illegal, and maybe that's a different story.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    The great thing about Missouriwhitetails is the vast membership... almost 5000 members!
    With these kinds of numbers, you will have a WIDE variety of interests, experience and OPINIONS. There is a real possibility that someone may have an unpopular opinion or view but demographically speaking, its not likely to reflect the majority opinion when it happens.

I certainly dont think the norm is that folks here put down someone elses deer. Quite the contrary, I think the vast majority of people who post here are congratulatory. In fact, in many cases the cordial friendly atmosphere is what keeps most people coming here rather than some other places.

You know the old saying, "one bad apple dont....." :cheers:

4. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    All three of these of these replies look pretty immature and would have been dandies next year.:claphands:

:scared:

5. Deerhunter46

Deerhunter46 New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I think that there are 2 kinds of deer hunters as well, meat hunters and trophy hunters, and a lot of times people have a problem understanding that. I happen to be a meat hunter that is waiting for the trophy to walk in. I always have people telling me that im crazy for shooting young deer, but when it comes down to it i am a college student and that meat helps make ends meet during the school year.

6. Stud Hunter

Stud Hunter Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Blue Springs, Mo
    Lets face it with 5,000+ members your gonna have some guys on here that have a ton of property to manage and can pass up those 130+ bucks that most of us would shoot in a heart beat and then your gonna have other guys/gals that if they shoot a forkie there happy so who gives a rip!

You shoot a deer be proud and show it off!! Were here for ya!!!!:cheers:

7. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Sarcasm has become overused today. That is one of the reasons I so strongly value the relationships I have made with many of the members here. Some of the people I work with have too much fun being sarcastic with every word they say to someone. It has gotten really old to me to a point where I don't care to hang around them much anymore. There, now I'll get off my :soapbox:

8. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    I am in complete agreement, like holiday's and so many other things today, hunting has gotten commercialized. Its become more about the trophy than the hunt. I am a "trophy hunter" of sorts as well. I pass on young deer in hopes of shooting bigger more mature deer and tryin to manage my property, but some people are more fortunate in the places that they have access to hunt and the quality of deer. So if someone is happy to shoot a deer, everyone should be happy for them. Not to mention it's supposed to be about the feeling you get hunting these overgrown goats, when I lose the feeling I have whenever a shoot a deer, buck or doe, thats the day I'll hang it up, the nervousness I get and anticipation is what brings me back, it isn't someone slapping me on the back cause I killed a monster. To kill a deer in bow range is a feat in it's self, so I say ANY DEER, killed with a bow is a TROPHY, regardless of sex or age of the animal. And with a gun, its at the hunter's discression, if its a trophy to him/her, it's a trophy period. Its gotten to the point where I think (In my PERSONAL opinion) that many on here show pictures and s

9. Bones-N-Beards

Bones-N-Beards Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Centralia,MO
    and say what will he score, because they are so worried bout what might be said if they shood a deer someone else wouldn't

10. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I couldn't agree more. Luckily, I don't see this on MWT. This is agood place to be.

11. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Kill what makes "you"happy,they all make me happy,especially when I get that call tellin me your cleaning out your deep freeze makin room for this years kill.:D

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    One thing is for sure, they all have potential!

13. inkwithattitude

inkwithattitude New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Caro,MI
    ???Hmm, last 5 deer I shot dropped in there tracks, 3 gun and 2 bow:wave:

14. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I must miss a lot of these posts. Everything I've read lately has been positive. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

15. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    Yes, this is one of the best sites on the WWW in my experience. I was just wondering about why some people insist on putting others kills down.

SNA2STL

This is a whole nother thread....and I am afraid it will turn ugley really fast.

later
    citori

16. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1885737&tid=131379&author=SNA2STL]In my former life, working, I used to tell pilots that if I did not tell them the "negative" then it would rob them of the opportunity to make it a positive! That of course is if they wished to keep flying for me.

I think constructive criticism is more of what it is.

Hoyt/Parker, I am pretty surprised at how harsh your words sound to me on this. To me, that is saying something you feel that makes me learn. Most of us listen twice as much as we speak, I do.

As for ethical, in who's mind?

Is it ethical to watch something bleed to death, rather than a clean, quick shot by a firearm? I believe it is in each individuals mind.

Bow hunting is nothing less than shooting an animal, and watching it bleed to death. That is the method of the kill. Please before you flame me on this, think about it! Who do you know first hand that put an immediate KILL shot on an animal with an arrow?

Ethical, to whom?

:thinking:[/rquote]

I dont think that they were referring to rifle hunting being unethical. Quite the contrary really....I think Hoytshooter was talking about legal kills that for one reason or another someone might view as unethical. It probably happens as much with arrows as rifles actually.

17. TATER

TATER Active Member

[rquote=1885715&tid=131379&author=Gutpile]All three of these of these replies look pretty immature and would have been dandies next year.:claphands:

:scared:[/rquote]
    :rof2: X 100000000000000

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1885755&tid=131379&author=seth_turner_04]I must miss a lot of these posts. Everything I've read lately has been positive. :confused::confused::confused::confused:[/rquote]
    I thought the same thing seth.

There was a recent thread regarding ethics and shot placement but no one in that thread degraded the authors deer.. .just had opinions regarding the shot placement.
    Thats the only thing I can think of. :confused:

19. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    [rquote=1885755&tid=131379&author=seth_turner_04]I must miss a lot of these posts. Everything I've read lately has been positive. :confused::confused::confused::confused:[/rquote]

Right there with you Seth. And I don't I've missed many posts.

20. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008

Almost all post-kill responses are positive. :2thumbsup:

What I see more is when someone posts trail cam pics and they are excited about getting the chance to kill a particular deer and others say, let him walk...let him grow...etc. That takes a little of the satisfaction away from the hunter if he does get a chance at that deer.