Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you like catching catfish, I'd HIGHLY recommend you get your butt down below Truman dam ASAP. They are running 50,000 cfs, which includes all 4 flood gates, and the fish are stacked up. The shad are as thick as I have ever seen them. I literally threw my casting net one time, and caught 30 - 40 shad all between 4 and 6 inches.

I was using a 4 ounce weight and a 7/0 circle hook with a three way swivel. Bait up, chuck that sucker as far as you can, and hold on. Right at the end of the drift - every cast - you'll get bit.

I caught three that were in the slot - nothing over - and went home with 10 nice eaters - all about 16 - 18 inches (threw back a bunch that were bigger - the smaller ones don't have that red meat).

In the evening, I packed up the catfish gear, and got out the crappie rig. Was fishing 1/16 rubber jig with a 1/16 curly tail jig below. In two hours, I caught about 50 crappie and white bass. I stopped when I had my fifteen 10" crappie.

Lots of rain in the forecast - so not sure if they will continue running water like this - but as long as they are, it is non-stop action, and a great chance to stock up the freezer!

· Registered
70,866 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.