Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about stands on public land. I haven't read the full law, maybe I should, I am just trying to satisfy my curiousity. I grew up in Michigan and the las there was if you hand a stand on public ground it was there if public use. So in theory if someone beat you to your stands or blind they had the right to hunt it. Now you would have to have a pretty big set to refuse to leave if someone told you , you were in their stand. What is the law here in MO on that? What is your opinion about sitting in someone elses stand?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
It's not something I would do to another hunter, but I'm sure there are those that would sit someone elses stand. I don't know the rules on it for sure, but I suspect that if it's left on public ground, it's open to the public.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I don't know the law either. Personally, I won't hunt anywhere close to someone I know is there. I have set up before only to hear someone close to me who was anything but quiet. I like to be off by myself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is an interesting topic. I hunted one place out in KS that a guy literally had about 15 stands on this one ~500-1000 acre tract of land. They were in ALL the good spots I found while scouting (he had been hunting there for decades and really had it covered). I tried hunting away from them but they were everywhere the deer where and obviously he couldnt hunt them all. In the end I either ended up hunting right next to one of them or sometimes in one. I felt weird about it too. I did finally run into the guy while scouting and talked to him about it. He said he didnt "like" if someone did it, but it was the law there. Plus he acted like he understood that he had the place blanketed.

I cant say I would like it if someone was in my stand when I got there, but I always understood that was a possibility. I mean it IS public ground. If I was ever to be in someone else's location I would always politely back out if they came in, which was rare.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
I can't how anyone with a lick of sense or common courtesy could sit in someone elses stand without permission but I'm sure it happens a lot. I have had people know full well I was hunting in an area and set up a hang on stand not more than 20ft from my stand.

I had asked before and I'll ask again, What if you find a four wheeler or UTV out on public ground, is it legal to take it for a joy ride cuz it was on public ground?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
[rquote=1491677&tid=104201&author=blevely]I can't how anyone with a lick of sense or common courtesy could sit in someone elses stand without permission but I'm sure it happens a lot. I have had people know full well I was hunting in an area and set up a hang on stand not more than 20ft from my stand.

I had asked before and I'll ask again, What if you find a four wheeler or UTV out on public ground, is it legal to take it for a joy ride cuz it was on public ground?[/rquote]

Fire that puppy up & get after it Brett. They aren't allowed to have them in there anyhow. If he says anything, just tell him you were taking it back to the truck for him so he wouldn't get in trouble.:rof2:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,976 Posts
[rquote=1491677&tid=104201&author=blevely]I can't how anyone with a lick of sense or common courtesy could sit in someone elses stand without permission but I'm sure it happens a lot. I have had people know full well I was hunting in an area and set up a hang on stand not more than 20ft from my stand.

[/rquote]

There were many things I saw while hunting public land, that most sane people would say a person with a lick of sense would never do, but guess what... they do..... A big reason why I bought my own place, but I still have to put up with road hunters and tress passers... Things, a person with a lick of sense should never be doing either.

I hate to say it, but it seems that a good 10-20% of the people out there trying to kill whitetails, are just plain idiots. Note, I did not refer to them as hunters.......

Every dirt road around my place was buzzin with guys on 4-wheelers road hunting this year..... Lazy **%^$*'s need to get off their fat butts and hunt like a man.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
[rquote=1491682&tid=104201&author=pinwheel][rquote=1491677&tid=104201&author=blevely]I can't how anyone with a lick of sense or common courtesy could sit in someone elses stand without permission but I'm sure it happens a lot. I have had people know full well I was hunting in an area and set up a hang on stand not more than 20ft from my stand.

I had asked before and I'll ask again, What if you find a four wheeler or UTV out on public ground, is it legal to take it for a joy ride cuz it was on public ground?[/rquote]

Fire that puppy up & get after it Brett. They aren't allowed to have them in there anyhow. If he says anything, just tell him you were taking it back to the truck for him so he wouldn't get in trouble.:rof2:[/rquote]

Actually the Forestry ground in Shannon & Texas county you are allowed to use ATV's. Which makes this interesting on what stipulates when a person's personal possessions become "public property"

With everyone spoiled by these Cadillac ATV's these days I don't have to worry about my Big Red 3 wheeler :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran into the same situation that bhanks55 ran into. A person setting stands in all the "good" spots as early as possible so they will have the bases covered. So if you want to hunt a saddle or creek crossing the same person has stands everywhere. I know it is well within their rights but seem a bit rude but I guess that is life.:boohoo:

·
Registered
743 Posts
I hunt public land and had people using my stands so I asked the local Agent how it works. He said, if you put a stand on public land, then it is okay for anyone to use it if you are not using it. But, if you arrive and someone is in your stand, they have to leave it. Not that it will happen that way. I always had my stands plainly marked with all of my personal information, but someone was always pulling the tags off. So, now I have a dogtag made with my info and use pop rivets to install. Chris

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
Ok guys, I asked my buddy whose an agent this question. Here was his response to me.

Treestands are private property. There is no law in Missouri that allows someone to use another person's treestand without permission.

Treestands on public property need to have the owner's name and address on them, or their conservation number. I would recommend putting this on their permanently, not just with a piece of paper.

I would also suggest locking the stand to the tree. Kind of like I would suggest locking your truck when you get out at the grocery store to go shopping.

As far as one hunter setting their stand right next to another hunter's stand on private ground, that would be something you would have to work out with them.

I have had it happen before, and the other hunter wasn't budging, so I took my stand down right then, and left and went to another location.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I hunt mostly public land and I always bring a climber with me. It allows me to move to a different area if someone is already in the area I want to be at.

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
[rquote=1491778&tid=104201&author=pinwheel]Ok guys, I asked my buddy whose an agent this question. Here was his response to me.

Treestands are private property. There is no law in Missouri that allows someone to use another person's treestand without permission.

Treestands on public property need to have the owner's name and address on them, or their conservation number. I would recommend putting this on their permanently, not just with a piece of paper.

I would also suggest locking the stand to the tree. Kind of like I would suggest locking your truck when you get out at the grocery store to go shopping.

As far as one hunter setting their stand right next to another hunter's stand on private ground, that would be something you would have to work out with them.

I have had it happen before, and the other hunter wasn't budging, so I took my stand down right then, and left and went to another location.
[/rquote]

No offense to your buddy, but I would like to see the actual written law on the "tree stands are private property" statement. Again, no offense meant, it's just that I have been burnt by taking legal advice from LEOs because even though it made sense at the time, it wasn't what the law said. He may be correct, I'd just like to see it myself...

As for me, if I put a stand up at Platte Falls, for instance, and I only hunt there on the weekends, it don't matter to me one bit if someone hunts it during the week and kills a deer out of it. Just leave a note so I can get a couple logs of sausage from ya!:D

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i was in a guys stand on public land this year. he walked up at 7am after i had been there for an hour. what a tool! he said hey thats my stand. i said i didnt see your name/tag on it. he said stand up and look under the seat. i said no problem ill be happy to move. afterall, it was HIS stand. respect.

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
I have hunted someone elses stand on public land before..... I will not move... First Dibs as far as I am concerned...

I have even had guns pointed at me...... Didnt see a name on it....

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
[rquote=1491840&tid=104201&author=JustBob]i was in a guys stand on public land this year. he walked up at 7am after i had been there for an hour. what a tool! he said hey thats my stand. i said i didnt see your name/tag on it. he said stand up and look under the seat. i said no problem ill be happy to move. afterall, it was HIS stand. respect.[/rquote]

I think I'd use that term tool loosely in this case if it were me. I'd be more inclined to call a guy a tool that felt it was his right to sit in my stand after I had spent the money buying it & had put the sweat equity into scouting the spot & doing the work to put that stand up there.:stickfight:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
[rquote=1491811&tid=104201&author=Detrhoyt][rquote=1491778&tid=104201&author=pinwheel]Ok guys, I asked my buddy whose an agent this question. Here was his response to me.

[/rquote]

No offense to your buddy, but I would like to see the actual written law on the "tree stands are private property" statement. Again, no offense meant, it's just that I have been burnt by taking legal advice from LEOs because even though it made sense at the time, it wasn't what the law said. He may be correct, I'd just like to see it myself...

As for me, if I put a stand up at Platte Falls, for instance, and I only hunt there on the weekends, it don't matter to me one bit if someone hunts it during the week and kills a deer out of it. Just leave a note so I can get a couple logs of sausage from ya!:D[/rquote]

Reread his response to me, then show him the statute that allows someone to use another person's treestand without permission.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Agree, if someone got into an argument with me because they were mad that I wanted to sit in MY stand, that I bought, scouted, and put up, then we would have a problem. I always tag my stands in alot of places. As far as "You didnt see a name on it". Well, you knew for a fact that it didnt belong to you so you have no argument in my opinion. Chris

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
[rquote=1491858&tid=104201&author=ccso640] Agree, if someone got into an argument with me because they were mad that I wanted to sit in MY stand, that I bought, scouted, and put up, then we would have a problem. I always tag my stands in alot of places. As far as "You didnt see a name on it". Well, you knew for a fact that it didnt belong to you so you have no argument in my opinion. Chris[/rquote]

How am I suppose to know that someone didnt put it up for meor anyone to use????:stirpot:

There are some very generous and giving people in the world today..

1 - 20 of 107 Posts