Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to Missouri as I have just graduated college and accepted a job in St. Louis. As a hunter from Michigan I’m excited to try new areas.

Without sharing all your secrets, can anyone point me in the right direction for public land that is worthwhile? I have bow and rifle.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Area/County will you be residing? How far are you willing to travel? Welcome To The Show Me State!
Thank you! I will be living in St. Louis County. For typical weekend hunts I’d be willing to probably drive as far as 1.5 hours, but if I take time off work I’d be willing to go maybe 3 hours give or take. Hope that narrows things down. Maybe as far west as Columbia. I’ve also heard that the hunting is better to the north than the south?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I’ve also heard that the hunting is better to the north than the south?
That's a Quality versus Quantity argument in my opinion. Hunted up north for quite a few years and saw bigger deer but on my property in the Ozarks I've gotten many more opportunities.

There's a booklet that lists all of the public areas and the regulations whether it's bow only, antlerless, alternative methods..etc and the MDC website has a lookup tool to find spots. The lookup tool doesn't show you all the places to hunt and only lists 3 in the whole state for some reason but that booklet is gospel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a Quality versus Quantity argument in my opinion. Hunted up north for quite a few years and saw bigger deer but on my property in the Ozarks I've gotten many more opportunities.

There's a booklet that lists all of the public areas and the regulations whether it's bow only, antlerless, alternative methods..etc and the MDC website has a lookup tool to find spots. The lookup tool doesn't show you all the places to hunt and only lists 3 in the whole state for some reason but that booklet is gospel.

Thank you, I have mainly been looking on Onx or google maps and just scanning, so this booklet is very helpful!

·
2,213 Posts
You may want to be mindful of which CAs are in CWD culling zones . I’m in a culling zone in Franklin county, but I only hunt private ground . So far it really hasn’t affected me as far as quality of hunting because nobody in my neighborhood is killing deer or allowing MDC to kill deer come post season culling time . Long Ridge CA a couple miles away is another story, some deer move back in each year don’t get me wrong, but MDC sure seems to whack and stack in there in February and March . I can’t imagine the quality of hunting being nearly as good as it was in years past

·
Quack
5,509 Posts
Take a drive around lone elk park

Reactions: kgdog

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, I’m in EXACTLY the same position as you IE New here, deer hunter (I only do rifle, but I I’m a consumate rifle shooter)
Meybe we can scout some spots together?
I live in Kansas City, I’ve been checking out Salem MO, as a good area, and then there’s the Mark Twain national Forest, which is 3,000,000 acres
I’ve been watching Amazon prime a show called Hunting Public, lots of good tactic information anyway I’m already off opening day which is November 12. I plan on starting scouting in two or three weeks if you’d like to get together two can hunt better than one.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
1,190 Posts
Hey, I’m in EXACTLY the same position as you IE New here, deer hunter (I only do rifle, but I I’m a consumate rifle shooter)
Meybe we can scout some spots together?
I live in Kansas City, I’ve been checking out Salem MO, as a good area, and then there’s the Mark Twain national Forest, which is 3,000,000 acres
I’ve been watching Amazon prime a show called Hunting Public, lots of good tactic information anyway I’m already off opening day which is November 12. I plan on starting scouting in two or three weeks if you’d like to get together two can hunt better than one.
Since you live in KC might check out Corp land around Truman Lake. Lots of average to hunt and lots of deer.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
1,190 Posts
Walk in, thousands of acres around the lake. Get yourself a map of the area. Lots of places you can pull off road and hunt.
No permit needed other than your tag of course. If you happen to have a boat you can really access some remote areas. There is corp ground right across road from me. I don't hunt it as I have property in SE Benton county

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to clarify Mark Twin is 3 million acres in 7 sections but 1.5 million of that is private property. Not many welcome hunters trespassing. The are apps out to help you figure out what is public vs private. Please respect fences and purple paint/flags for everyone's safety. I've have had people walking in the brush behind my shooting range, not a good thing.

Be careful out there.... and best luck finding a good area to hunt.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The US Forest Service, National Park Service, US Corp of Engineers and US Fish & Wildlife Service are all federal agencies that have public land in Missouri. Most of it is available for public use, to include hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, in one way or another. Also, most of these agencies have their own unique set of rules for use and knowing what those rules are are absolute must or you will likely receive a written invitation to federal court.

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources State Parks and Historical Sites also has state owned property in Missouri. Most of the DNR property is closed to hunting except under special short managed hunts by drawing only. The Missouri Department of Conservation has property in the state in blocks from very small to tens of thousands of acres and most of it is available for outdoor opportunities like hunting and fishing. Research is the key to knowing the "lay of the land."

Reactions: eagle1
1 - 19 of 19 Posts