Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's start off by saying that I'm not looking for someone's honey hole. Our farm just really doesn't have many birds, so looking to see if we can find a few elsewhere.

That said, I'm thinking I will be taking a day off work, maybe Monday to take a buddy and kids out to chase some public land birds.

First, is pressure going to be so crazy that it completely is frustrating/unsafe? Really not looking for a circus.

Looking to the West and North of St. Louis just because it's easier than heading southward. Considering all public, CAs and MTNF.

General public comments are welcome. Specifics would be better in my opinion via private message.

Appreciate the insight.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
OOS hunters usually prefer the second week so they can kill x2 birds.. That being said I haven't been seeing as many Arkansas/Mississippi/Oklahoma plates in and along the MTNF ....

· Registered
32,997 Posts
Our local CA has been dead. Maybe 8 people, including myself. Birds have been tough to come by though. I'm sitting today out due to the rain. Probably hitting private ground a couple of times before I head back to public.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
Theres young ,indian creek ,Pea ridge glassberg closer but they are loaded with people ...MTNF more room
Meramec Forest, long Ridge

· Registered
4,740 Posts
You have a farm to hunt, however you want more birds and little pressure on public ground within 1.5 hours of STL? Good luck with that.

Reactions: 170BC

· Registered
17,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He has a farm with no turkeys.. he can sit on his front porch with the same result as hunting his place.
Exactly. I'm going to try this weekend, but I don't think it will change my mind.

Bad hatches have taken a toll on the neighborhood's turkey population.

· Registered
17,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Habitat ,,what county is your farm in or general area ? southeast etc
Ralls. We normally don't have turkeys winter on our place, so we have to wait until say the first week of April until they show up after they start dispersing. So, if the don't need to spread out as much due to a lower population, they just don't make it as far as our place. At least that is my theory.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.