protesters coming to Kokomo

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by hunter7x, Mar 2, 2006.

1. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Bikers drown out funeral protesters

By Ryan Lenz
    Associated Press

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. — Wearing leather chaps and vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls from one soldier’s funeral to another in hopes their respectful cheers and revving engines will drown out the insults of protesters.

The motorcycle club members calling themselves Patriot Guard Riders are trying to shield mourners from cruel jeers by adherents of a tiny fundamentalist church who picket military funerals to reflect their belief that U.S. combat deaths are a sign God is punishing the United States for harboring homosexuals. Some protesters’ signs said, “Thank God for IEDs,†the improvised explosive devices, or homemade bombs, that kill many U.S. soldiers.

“The most important thing we can do is let families know that the nation cares,†said Don Woodrick, the biker group’s Kentucky captain. “When a total stranger gets on a motorcycle in the middle of winter and drives 300 miles to hold a flag, that makes a powerful statement.â€

Across the nation, Patriot Guard Riders number more than 5,000. They show up at soldiers’ funerals to chant patriotic slogans and wave red, white and blue flags in hopes of overshadowing backers of a Kansas clergyman named the Rev. Fred Phelps.

Phelps and members of his Westboro Baptist Church have caused such a fuss that at least 14 states are considering laws aimed at the funeral protests. During the 1990s, church members were known mostly for picketing funerals of AIDS victims, and they have long been tracked as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Project in Montgomery, Alabama.

The project’s deputy director, Heidi Beirich, said other groups have tried to counter Phelps’ message, but none have been as organized as the Patriot Guard.

“I’m not sure anybody has gone to this length to stand in solidarity,†she said. “It’s nice that these veterans and their supporters are trying to do something. I can’t imagine anything worse, your loved one is killed in Iraq and you’ve got to deal with Fred Phelps.â€

At a recent memorial service at Fort Campbell, church protesters and sang vulgar songs condemning homosexuals and soldiers. The Patriot Guard was also there, cheering to support mourning families across the street as community members came in a freezing rain to chant “U-S-A, U-S-A†alongside the bikers.

“This is just the right thing to do. This is something America didn’t do in the ’70s,†said Kurt Mayer, the Patriot Guard’s national spokesman, referring to the era when protests against the Vietnam war were common. “Whether we agree with why we’re over there, these soldiers are dying to protect our freedoms.â€

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a daughter of Fred Phelps and an attorney for the Topeka, Kansas-based church, said neither state laws nor the Patriot Guard can silence their message that God killed the soldiers because they fought for a country that embraces homosexuals.

“The scriptures are crystal clear that when God sets out to punish a nation, it is with the sword. An IED is just a broken-up sword,†Phelps-Roper said. “Since that is his weapon of choice, our forum of choice has got to be a dead soldier’s funeral.â€

The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ extended family. A small group of them appeared last month in West Virginia outside a memorial for the 12 men killed in the Sago Mine disaster. They held signs reading “Thank God for Dead Miners†and “Miners in Hell.â€

Kentucky, home to sprawling Fort Campbell, was among the first states to attempt to deal with Phelps legislatively. Its House and Senate have each passed bills that would limit people from protesting within 300 feet of a funeral or memorial service. The Senate version would also keep protesters from being within earshot of grieving friends and family members.
    The Indiana Senate has passed a bill intended to prohibit protests within 500 feet (150 meters) of funerals. The House is considering the measure.

The bills were written to protect families of soldiers such as Pvt. Jonathan R. Pfender, 22, of Evansville, Indiana, a soldier from Fort Campbell’s 101st Airborne Division who was killed in January by a roadside bomb in Beiji, Iraq.

Westboro church members protested at Pfender’s funeral, screaming profanities at mourners as they passed. Family members were shielded from the insults by the rumble of Patriot Guard motorcycles.

“We were glad that the Patriot Guard Riders were there,†said Jackie Pfender, the soldier’s stepmother. “This group of protesters wanted to put something negative on Jonathan’s funeral. In actuality, it became a positive thing because of the support we had.â€

Patriot Guard members only show up at funerals if invited by family. Richard Wilbur, a retired police detective, said his Indiana Patriot Guard group came to the Pfender funeral at the family’s request after protesters announced they planned to attend.

“No one deserves this,†Wilbur said. “If I were burying my loved one and they were out there yelling anything close to what they yel to the families of these soldiers, I know my temperament. I probably would not handle it very well.â€

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Rickey E. Jones, 21,
    of Kokomo, Ind.; sergeant, Army. Jones was among four soldiers killed Wednesday when their Humvee struck a roadside bomb while on patrol in Hawija, Iraq, north of Baghdad. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division at Ft. Campbell, Ky.

These scum bags are coming to Kokomo to protest this young man death. His funeral is Monday the 6th.
  3. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Is throwing water balloons at people considered assault?
    I really can not believe that some people are so inconsiderate. I would not be able to handle it. I would be calling the local police telling them that some one is about to get shot!:sniper:
  4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    be time to kick some religous :ass:in my book
  5. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    Put on your steel toed boots and give them a swift kick in the nads. Protesting at a funeral is just plain ignorant.
  6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    This kinda cr@p makes me sick......

Even if you don't agree with the politics of why we're over there, it really has nothing to do with the individual soldier that gave his life for his/our country. To terrorize the familys of these brave men during a time like this, really is one of the worst acts of cowardism, and insensitivity I've ever seen...

And some how, hollywood types will probably portray them as some type of hero.....
  7. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Some people have no respect for others.
  8. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    The gov. Matt Blunt, made it illegal last week to protest at a funeral here in MO. Hope other states follow.
  9. Reed

Reed New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem, MO
    OK folks, here's a link you may want to visit. The funeral mission for the Patriot Guard Riders (PGR) is going to be one of the biggest. The UG's (uninvited guests) the WBC out of Kansas is going to be there.

Fortunately, we in the Guard are non hostile. We position ourselves as so the family is shielded from this group of self righteous ass holes. We do not yell back at these people or do we get into any confrontation at all with the UG's.

The WBC and their affiliates have been using harassing phone calls to the SGT. Jones' family and have even stooped to vandalizing his family's home. The Guard is expecting the largest mission yet and the staging area has been moved to a high school.

You do not have to be a biker to join our group. Anyone with our mission statement at heart is welcome. We have now over 11,000 member nation wide. YOU ARE NEEDED IN THE GUARD.

The Guard only goes to a service person's funeral when invited by the family. You may see all this type of info on the website, . Make sure you read some of the letters the Guard has received from families. Have some tissue ready.

Yesterday at 2:30 pm, Gov Blunt held the ceremonial signing of "Eddies Law" that prohitbits protesting 1 hour before and 1 hour after a service persons funeral. The Guard was there and well represented. Cut and paste this link to read all about it.

Patriot Guard Rider
  10. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Awesome Reed !

Are you coming to this one in Kokomo ? If so look me up. Depending on what high school I'm not far from the South Campus.
  11. Reed

Reed New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem, MO
    Wish I could, but one of my fellow RoadKing Riders member is attending on my behalf. This one should make the news nation wide.

The WBC is just unreal. They take their 8 y/o children there and have them sing "God Hates America". They do things that I just can't type here without getting absolutely raging mad as hell kick-a&&, fuming, etc, etc, (you get the point):mad2:.
  12. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I joined I am hunter7x on there.

Looking forward to riding to help honor this young man.
  13. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Thanks hthrly7 and Reed. I can't say what I want too but I am sure everyone has the same idea.
  14. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    lets all get some of those DEER butt tools(cant remember the name) and all mee there.

bunch of freaks.
  15. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    If they hit you it's a battery not an assault.
  16. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Ride on, Steve & Reed! :cheers:
  17. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    That prick Phelps has been in the St. Louis area a couple times this year. Missouri recently passed a law banning cemetary demonstrations but I seriously doubt it will pass Constitutional muster.

It would be delicious irony if he and his followers died in a fiery crash driving to a protest. :mad:
  18. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Hundreds expected for soldier’s funeral

Tribune staff writer

Monday’s funeral for Sgt. Rickey Jones, the Kokomo soldier killed Feb. 22 in Iraq, will be moved to Crossroads Community Church, according to Kokomo police Lt. Don Whitehead.

An estimated 300 to 500 veterans from around the country are expected to be on hand for the funeral, which had been scheduled to take place at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home in Kokomo.

The 10 a.m. time for services has not been changed, nor has the young soldier’s final resting place, Memorial Park Cemetery, Whitehead said.

Many veterans are coming to the funeral to pay respects to the family and honor Jones, and to show support of the family in the event protesters show up at the services.

Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., has announced several protests around the nation in coming days, including plans to picket at Monday’s funeral here and the funerals of other servicemen elsewhere.

The church’s Web site said Monday’s protest in Kokomo will be “like the IED America bombed [the church] with in a terroristic effort to silence our anti-gay Gospel preaching.â€

“IED†stands for improvised explosive device.

Sgt. Jones, a graduate of Kokomo High School and a member of the Army’s 101st Airborne Division, was killed when a roadside bomb blew up his vehicle.

Other demonstrations were planned this week for the funerals of Marine Capt. Bryan D. Willard in New Kingstown, Pa., Thursday and of Army Spc. Jessie Davila on Saturday in Dodge City, Kan.

John Ayres, commander of VFW Post 1152 in Kokomo, said veterans plan to keep the event peaceful. Veterans groups recently were on hand at the funeral of Spc. Matthew C. Frantz, 23, of Lafayette, who was laid to rest Jan. 30.

“We succeeded over there, and there will be a lot more vets here than there were there,†Ayres said Wednesday.

Groups expected to attend the funeral to show support for the soldier’s family include the Patriot Guard Riders, who have received national media attention for their attendance at military funerals. American Legion riders from Lafayette and numerous Vietnam veterans also are expected to attend the funeral.

Jerry Brown, director of Region 3 ABATE of Indiana, said members of the group, as well as other motorcyclists, have planned to attend the funeral since learning of the soldier’s death.

He said they will not be there under the umbrella of ABATE, but rather as a group of individuals representing humankind.

“We’re there to take care of the family and show them there are people out there who respect what he died for,†Brown said.

He said the many people slated to turn out for the funeral are extremely patriotic and plan to show that pride, not to contend with protesters.

“We can’t have any trouble,†he said. “All it does is give the protest group there 15 minutes of fame, again.â€

Supporters of the family plan to show whether the protesters do or not, he said.

Brown said the patriotic people showing up at funerals are getting “a bad rap†and the national media are sensationalizing what they are doing. There is no human barricade, he said. They line up, play patriotic music and fly American flags.

The actual crowd could be much more than estimated now because of local residents planning to attend.

The post is at 920 N. Washington St. For more information, call the post at (765) 452-9953 or 452-1521.

“The best thing people can do is to act like [the Westboro group] is not even there,†Ayres said. “By confronting them, you’re playing right into their hands.â€

The church, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps, describes itself on its Web site as “an Old School (or, Primitive) Baptist Church. In short, we adhere to the teachings of the Bible, preach against all form of sin (e.g., fornication, adultery, sodomy), and insist that the doctrines of grace be taught publicly to all men.â€

The church has gained notoriety in recent months for acts similar to those planned this week and in Kokomo on Monday.

Police first became aware this past weekend that the Westboro group might be planning to picket the funeral when Jones’ family reported vandalism at one of their Kokomo homes.

Relatives said they received anonymous phone calls from someone saying, “We’re glad your son is dead.â€

Police Chief Russell Ricks, Howard County Sheriff Marty Talbert and funeral director Jeff Stout met Wednesday to discuss Monday’s funeral, including security precautions.

Ricks, Talbert, State Rep. John Smith, R-Kokomo, representatives of the Indiana State Police and others will attend a press conference at 9:30 a.m. Friday to talk about arrangements.

Family members have requested no press be allowed in to services, Whitehead said.

Misty Knisely, night editor, contributed to this report.
  19. spm26191

spm26191 New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Mexico, MO
    The sad thing is that there are people who actually think what they are doing is right. Some of the human race scares me.:peepwall: