Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/mich...37/115638779349120.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

Professional hunting tour won't use tranquilizers
8/23/2006, 10:41 p.m. ET
The Associated Press

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) â€" An organization that is creating a competitive international hunting tour said Wednesday that it is dropping plans to shoot deer with tranquilizer darts in the competition and will kill them instead.

David Farbman, commissioner of the Southfield-based World Hunting Association, said the competition will use a traditional harvest format because of criticism from the hunting community.

"Over the past two months, we have met one-on-one with fellow hunters, major hunters' rights organizations, industry leaders and top outdoor journalists from all over the country to gain their perspectives. Consistently, their major concerns centered on the proposed use of nonfatal darting," Farbman said.

The WHA's inaugural season is set to begin Oct. 5 in Gladwin, at the Lost Arrow Ranch.

Farbman, a real-estate executive and hunter, announced the creation of the WHA in June and said the first two tournaments will feature more than $500,000 in prize money.

The association says its goal is to make hunting competitions popular like bass fishing and increase participation in the sport.

___

On the Net:

World Hunting Association: http://www.worldhunt.com

·
5,631 Posts
GREAT news!!! They made the right decision. And kudos to us sportsmen who made it happen!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You betcha McGuire!

And on another front. Can you imagine how absolutely idiotic "hunters" look now? Up in arms about using a tranquilizer gun to stun animals but it's OK to kill them for the competition.

:bangin:

Great logic!

·
5,631 Posts
I see your point, Kurt.

But I have a real hard time giving a rat's :***: about what people think of me. I'm probably not the most objective judge of the situation.:D

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I wasn't taking a shot at you personally McGuire. Not at all.

But I can if you'd like. Your an easy target.

Seriously though. The whole "uprising" was just stupid in the first place. I'm glad they are carrying on with this if for no other reason out of spite. :cheers:

·
5,631 Posts
What was stupid was turning our way of life into a freaking childish game of "TAG". It was demeaning to our sport. :withstupid:

:smiley:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Originally posted by cfrazee_mo
The WHA's inaugural season is set to begin Oct. 5 in Gladwin, at the Lost Arrow Ranch.

Farbman, a real-estate executive and hunter, announced the creation of the WHA in June and said the first two tournaments will feature more than $500,000 in prize money.
So are they still hunting a high fence ranch? You're going to have to place to have your hunt paid for! :D

:bangin: I'd rather watch the Primos boys shoot a little 8 pointer than this stuff.

Parker

·
19,585 Posts
So, since this is referred to as a "sport", does this mean we're all athletes now?

If so, that may be just the ticket ~ to get out of jail, or not even go to jail! Just sign a few autographs, and you're on your way... :D

That's what other professional athletes do ~ right?!

:neuspeuter:

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
You betcha McGuire!

And on another front. Can you imagine how absolutely idiotic "hunters" look now? Up in arms about using a tranquilizer gun to stun animals but it's OK to kill them for the competition.

:bangin:

Great logic!
Exactly what I was thinking DSG, make us all look like we WANTED them to kill the critters for the blood thirsty moroons that we are ! (yes I misspelled it on purpose!)

And besides that he's too late to be the first, what does he think Dream season and Campbell outdoor challenge is ?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Maybe I'm being overly causcous, but I can't see anything good coming out of this. It looks like bad PR no matter how it's done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.