Product Review of Uncle Mikes canvas holsters

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Mailman, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    A year or two ago my Uncle Mikes holster for my Smith & Wesson model 19 357 Mag broke while I was wearing it in the woods. I heard something hit the ground and I turned to find my revolver and holster laying on the ground. I first thought that my belt had broken or had come unbuckled and the holster had fallen off....NOPE....the plastic belt slot on the back of the holster had broken I'm guessing from getting brittle with age. Thinking back I'm guessing it was 5 or 6 years old. Bought a leather replacement for it and all is good...so far.

Tuesday I was carrying my Smith & Wesson model 15-3 38 Spl in a different Uncle Mikes canvas holster and the same thing happened. This one was only 3 years old. Sting me once...sting me twice....not gonna be a third time for this guy. Going strictly leather from now on. Uncle Mikes Holster 1.jpg Uncle Mikes Holster 2.jpg

2. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Thanks for the reminder. I have one that is over 20 years old and it must be better built because it isn’t trying to crack yet.

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    It's not like they are laying on the dashboard baking in the sun. One was kept in my safe and the one 3 year old was kept in the my glove box in my truck.

4. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    Your love handles must weigh too much!

5. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Mailman are those made overseas?

6. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    20180201_192950.jpg 20180201_192931.jpg
    The Sidekick is made in the USA and the other is made in Vietnam. (If I'd of known that I wouldn't have ever bought it).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  8. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    No pic,but I have one that did the exact same thing.

9. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
  10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    If i get one of those if I'm right handed....should I wear it on my right side behind my hip or wear it as a cross draw on my left side? Mine is a 4 inch barrel S&W 15-3 if that matters. It may be easier for a cross draw worn on my left side if I order one ya think?

11. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    @Mailman what length barrel? These is a leathersmith in Branson that makes some sturdy leather holsters at a good price. I'll look today and see what he has in stock for a Smith 15 and 19.
    A few years ago I bought a Kydex holster for a Sig, wore it a couple of months, took it off and tossed it unceremoniously in the box of other crappy holsters that either don't work or fit like they should. Nothing but all leather for me since then.
    IMHO, Kydex is uncomfortable, noisy when drawing or holstering and seems to be harder on the blueing as far as holster wear. It looks "Tacti-cool" but not practical for my needs

12. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Not a fan of them..... :wave1:

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Thanks Arlen. I'd much prefer leather myself especially for comfort and wear on the blueing. Both are 4 inch barrels.

14. radioactive

radioactive Active Hunter

Jan 25, 2012
    If he doesn't have any made, he can whip them out fairly quickly. These are more of a "utility" grade holster that are somewhat molded to the gun, but not a full on custom job, hence the much cheaper price. You want outside waistband I presume?

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Yes...outside the waistband. I have three that take the same size holster (K frame) that I wear the most. None are for CCW but for a walk in the woods. I do have one leather holster (see attached photo) that I really like how it functions but it is strictly a vertical worn holster with no angle choice at all. Smith and Wesson fire power.jpg Smith and Wesson Model 19 #4.jpg