Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me what the going rate for deer processing is. this will be my first deer hunt in kansas near lake lacygne. and i dont know how to process it myself(if i get one). any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Well last hunting season rates near Farmington Mo were as fallows. 75.00 dollers to take hide off. 100.00 dolers to proses deer into berger ( no pork or beef included ) if u wanted pork it was .49 and for beef to be aded .39 per pound. Options were you could have some stakes made or roasts and rest into berger still cost you 100.00. If u wanted vac sealing of prosed meet it was .50 sents per pakadge.

If u wanted sasudge made out of your harvest it was an aditional charge of 3.75 for regular recipie per pound. ( no pork or beef in there origional recapie. )
even if u wanted whole deer into sasudge u were still charged 100.00 prosesing fee and 75.00 dollor skining fee.

Neadless to say i did not take any deer up to miller meets in Bobe Tair Mo unless I had done the prosesing befor hand.

I see on and off at sporting good stores little booklets on how to field dress deer and how to proses deer. At one time there was a link on the MDC site in abot reader formate on how to field dress and proses your deer.

If you are going to get it all made into berger its real eassy hange by back feet cute around rt below the knee joint and then make a verticle cut on the inside of the leg, starting at the cut you made below the knee and cut verticle untill it reaches the end of skinn at the field dress spot at its groin area.
When making those 2 inicial cuts ( which are the hardest ones do to ) you want to take care not to cut into the meet. once those 2 cuts are made you simply start at one corner of the hite at the knee area lift lightly and with light preshure slide your sharp knife between meet and hide. pulling on hide as you go it will peel away.

You want to keep any hail off the meet. If any gets on remove as sone as posible. I wear a neapren glove that lets me pick hair off the meet and simple blow the hair off the neapren glove. Using a skining knife IE one with a rounded tip verses a pointed tip blade will help in eleminating cuting holes into the hide. The sharper the knife the better.
Once u have the hide off both leges and hafle the body the waight of the hide will pull it down off the meet to the front legs.
Once at the front legs it just takes some time but you do not make a slit to that knee area to limit hair to meet. Just skinn to the knee area acheaved by simple inserting stiff fingers under the hide all around the leg ultimatly reaching the kneww area make a circumfrence cut above knee area and cut front legg off using hack saw below the knee. then slid leg ouf of the hide and continue to skinn hide past the neck area cut off the head below neck line using hax saw.

Inspect the skind deer to make shure no hair is on it. Remove the hide to a nother area so non will get blow onto meet.

Starting with the front legs. grab the leg at knee are and pull side ways on it. you will see the musle pack of the leg wher it meets the body. You cut where leg meets body down to the joint. do both legs. then cut out the back strap by fealing for the spine line and making a cut just to the side of it from but end to head end. Just let the knife scrap against the bone so you dont lose any meet you will get a long tube of meet. depending on the size of the deer 3 feet long or longer. It is the best meet on the deer after the fish. ( the 2 small musels packs on the inside of the deer around the spine area usually no biger then a foot long. Located towards the but end of the deer. Normally removed at field dressing and eatten that night. )
Cut the neck from the deer by starting at the spine line and just cuting all around.
Next is the rear legs simple cut where leg musle pack meets body ( this bone joint slightly toufer to get cut lose) I usually chip away at the ball joint till it can be worked out of the hip socket. Once rear legs are off carcase falls to the ground. discard carcase and hide.

To debone the legs siple start seperating musle packs from each other. There is a gland in the meet in both rear legs. You will find it in the mucasy looking fibers ( actually clear stuff that I dont know the name of it. its not wet just looks diferent from the fat u will see. Cut out the gland and the clear stuff and discard. )
Since the meet from the rear leg verses front leg is toufer alot of ppl have berger made out of the rear legs and there steaklets out of the front legs musel packs. you can also make roasts out of the big musle packs of the rear legs. So it is sugested you keep the meet seperated so you dont lose track of which leg it came from.
If you are going to have it all made into berger ask the location of where you going to take it to on what sise of the chunkes they would prefer. Oberly does not like the chunks any smaller then 3 inch bubes. Often stating no nead to cut the packs up at all.

If you want cuts out of the back strap ( highly recomended ) simple cut then 2 inches thick and then recut them in half but stop 1/4 inch from cuting all way threw. spread out ( called butter fly cuts ) and packadge then how ever menny will be eatten in a setting.

Front leg meet if you are wanting cuts made simple but the musle packs up into 1 inch thick cuts. CUTS AGAINST THE GRAIN GIVES U TENDER MEET. CUTS WITH THE GRAIN GIVES U A TOUFE CUT.
Any peices to small to eat gets put in scrap bin to be aded to be bergerized.

The neck meet is often made into berger or stew meet.

You have several options on how to pack your prosed meet. I recomend a vac sealer so less chance of meet getting frosted in freezer. But using layers of saran rape between cuts and then raping in butchers paper and taping workes for some ppl. zip locks bags work for others. What ever method you use just pack them in serving sizes for one dinner so you not have exes defrosted that you wont be cooking tht meal. I often pack them in multiple sises. exaple serving of 2 for breakfast for me and son, 3 person serving for dinner for wife son and me. and a guest packadge for when we have compony who wants to try out venasin.

Of the 17 deer i prosed last season, all was prosed into cuts I saved the trimings untill the end and then took them up to miller meets to get sasudge made.

I know its a daunting taks befor you do it a few times. But bear this in mind I only have use of one hand and get mine prosed. Though i do nead help in a few of the stages. sawing the legs off at knee and the hoisting of it it self.

I have on hand 6 flat cooky sheets to put the meets sections on as i remove threm from the carcase. keeps contamination down. a skining knife a filet knife or butchers knife a blade honner to touch up sharpness, cutting bord, 4 pots to put the cuts in. and a meet scale to mechure the packaged meets. pernament marker to label each pack of meet befor plasing in freezer. A big apetite.

Sorry this was such a long winded responce to your question. And sorry my grammer and spelling are not any good. It took me a couple of hrs to type this had to put all the steps into words, normally I proses a deer in reflex mode.

·
5,632 Posts
$100.00 basic processing fee and $75.00 to skin it?!?!

I've seen how they skin those suckers around here and it only takes about 2 minutes. They just cut the legs off at the knee joints, cut up the inside of the leg, cut around the neck. Hook a piece of hyde to a chain that's bolted to the floor, chain around the deers neck connected to a hydrolic hoist. Send the hydrolic hoist to the ceiling. Hyde comes clean off in no time! They're seriously ripping people off unless they don't have a quick way of doing it!

The last time I had a deer processed, it was about $50 for basic processing...roasts and burger. I do it myself now. I know I'm getting MY deer and I save the cash.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
They use the chain method u mentiond on a tow truck whench. Dur to there prising even thouhg they partisapated in the hunters feeding the hungree. the 35 dolers the mdc payed to reinbers hunters there fee was still to great for any one to donate a deer via them. Since regulations state the whole deer has to be donated with hid on it. At the end of the season when i droped off my scrap meet to be made into sasudge i asked them how menny deer had been donated for the program and anser was non. ( I wonder why? ) I know why. 175.00 minus 35.00 is 140.00 to donate a deer to the needy.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I generally see it range from around $65 for the basic processing up to hundreds for sausages and all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Around the KC area you can figure around 100-125 skinned for a deer up to about 150 lbs. $6-7 a pound for sausage. They will add beef or pork soot to the ground for free, usually about 7-10%.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
some places are 80 and up for processing,some charge more after 100 lbs,ex. 140 lb deer, first is 80 dollars and the your charged for each additional lb,

make calls now to places before you need them, get prices and check out their practices for making sure you get your deer back,some just weigh in the deer and throw it all together and then seperate,stay away from these places,dont want someones deer that they didnt field dress properly or properly prepare the carcass before taking it to them

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but my .02 is to learn how to do it yourself. It'll save you a ton of money.

Make it easy. Get some good sharp knives, a lot of ziplock freezer bags (double bag it) and watch/help someone else do it a couple times.

The steaks are in the backstraps, loins, and the clean peices of red meat in the hind legs. Grind everything else.

Parker

·
Registered
835 Posts
Depends on what you want, but if you can, process it yourself. Here is a link to a processing video. That and one of the many books found a local book stores should get you through the process. Last year, I blew up a cheap grinder, but not before I put 1.5 deer through it. This year I am going to buy a nicer one. So, buy a book for $15 and a cheapo electric grinder for $29 on ebay and have at it. Cut your straps and make steaks. Cut up a few roats for stew meat, and grind the rest, or take it to have it alone made into sausage. I have done 3 deer in 2 years, and have saved probably $300. The first one was rough, but each time I do one, I get better organized and know what I want out of the deer. This year's plan: More steaks, stew meat (I call it stew meat, but use if for a variety of things), and some ground, and homemade breakfast sausage.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/video/deerfield.wmv

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Between our family, and the other family we hunt with, we average about 16 deer a year (12 being about the lowest, and 27 being the highest year). 8 people hunting. We've been shooting that many a year for about 12 years, since my brother and I started hunting in the group. That's an average of 192 deer taken in that time. Figure up the processing cost on that! :eek:

That's why we butcher our own. Trying to make the meat cheaper than beef.

Parker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.