Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on what most of you do. This will be my first year, so if I'm lucky enough to get a deer I plan on having it processed. If you do get it processed, anybody know somebody that does it good between Liberty and Polo? I live in Liberty but hunt up in Polo.

If you take it to be processed, do you do anything other than field dress it?

thanks

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
self

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
self You can make it as simple as keeping the backstraps and loins for steaks, and grinding the rest, or cutting everything up into their individual peices.

Parker

·
Your Local Know It All
7,020 Posts
Self, don't like the meat after it's been to the locker, and the prices are too high anymore.

BTH

·
2,842 Posts
As many deer as my family harvests each year, it is cost prohibitive to take them to the locker. We have always done our own and once you do it, it is very simple and you will have much better tasting meat. It doesn't require any expensive equipment, and after a little practice you can do a whole deer in less than an hour. Do a search, there are some good instructions on the net. I learned from an old article my dad saved out of outdoor life in the 60's. Boog

G

·
I keep a day pack in the toolbox with a fillet knife, skinning knife, two tie down straps, and some plastic bags. The pack is big enough to put a deer in after its boned/cutup. Find two trees about six feet apart and process em where they fall. I only carry out what I'm going to eat. Buzzards and coyotes get the carcass. ;) It occurred to me years ago that it was alot of work to gut, drag, skin, cut up, then load up the carcass and haul it off, so I started this method. I usually dont gut em. Just skin, remove shoulders, backstraps and hams with the fillet knife, and let the rest of it hit the ground.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
it all depends on if I have the time and place to do it. I've taken them to lockers before because of the location I lived at. my suggestion to be is if you have the place try to find someone who was done it themselves and ask for some help. After the first one you'll know how to do it.

·
Under appreciated
92,571 Posts
no question.. do it yourself. Like boog said, lotsa resources on the net I'm sure.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Well we used to bring it to a buddies deer camp and process them ourselves, but he moved....

Since that, I've just gave um to the processor to take care of.

But if we actually get a cold day that I take a deer on, I'll be trying to process myself!!!!! :D

G

·
you don't take the tenderloin out on the inside of the spine?
Yep, forgot that. When you start cutting the hams off the pelvis the inside tenerloins are exposed. In order, hang the deer, pull the skin down over the shoulders, then with fillet knife, cut off the shoulders, then the backstraps, then cut around the ham/pelvis ball joint, take out tenderloins, cut hams off at the pelvis letting the carcass fall, then remove the hams at the knee. The intestines will fall out of the way, but you dont have to cut the diaphragm.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
Family deer are usually home-processed. Our visitors usually like to take their deer or turkeys to the processor due to time constraints. My favorite place for processing is:

http://westerns-smokehouse.com/

They will take a field-dressed deer or the primals and make some of the best smoked meats and sausages I have ever tasted. Their smoked turkey, pheasant, duck, etc. are out of this world.

I have take them some of the lesser cuts (shoulders, neck, etc) for making into sausage, salami, jerky, etc. and then have given them as gifts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Generally, it goes to the butcher shop...our neighbor's butcher shop. I don't have the time, $$ or energy to mess with it right now. Maybe when my son gets older and doesn't want to play football, basketball, soccer, monster trucks, fish, shoot, etc. I'll have time to process my own deer. Until then...I'm enjoying being 7 again! :banana:
But, if we're just cutting up steaks, roasts and chunk meat we'll do it at the house. Burger, brats, summer sausage, spicy steaks, hams, etc, all come from the butcher.

·
6,643 Posts
Used to do it ourselves, but with the warmer seasons we have had I just drop it off at the butcher. Holt Butcher Block is decent, but hard to get a hold of on a Sunday during bow season. Think I might be heading to cfrazee's this season though!! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.