Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would bet that many of you, like me, grew up fishing with a Zebco 33. They weren't the sexiest thing around, but they were inexpensive and reliable. If they started acting up, a good cleaning, grease the gears, new line, and it was as good as new. Well I've bought new Zebco 33s for Little Booche's and Baby Booche's, and they are no better than shiny 202s. Rough workings, line tangles easy, and one broke - yes I said broke, during it's second use. Anyone else experienced this?

Any advice on inexpensive reels for a couple of boys? I may see if I can find some old 33s somewhere and rehab them. However, I don't think I'm going to buy anymore new Zebcos.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Those are dandies CP. Booches, Daiwa also has some inexpensive reels that are pretty decent reels.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The February issue of Field and Stream has a great field test of some spincast reels. The Zebco Rhino RSC3, and Daiwa Silvercast 100 Plus both got high marks. And if you don't mind dropping 50.00, I can personally recommend the Zebco Omega series.

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
I still buy and use the Zebco 33s and the Classics. They have been hit and miss over the past 5 years or so. Sometimes you get a good one that lasts, and then others just dont last more than 2 or 3 times out. Not sure what it is.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have used the old zebco 33's for a long time. Have had several 202's never really cared for them that much. I picked up a old johnson rod and reel awhile back really like it might have to check out the ones you posted GH.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The quality of the 33 has been declining for over 20 years.

I bought some in the early '80's and they were already showing sub-par quality when compared to my '70's models.
They have just gone downhill from there. I don't buy the Zebco brand anymore (maybe except for some of the better Quantum models).

·
Registered
675 Posts
I just bought a lighting rod yesterday, to go with my old Johnson real! grew up usin the old 202,404, and 808s, they were good reels, i own 3 johnsons reals and would not trade them for nothing!(still own zebco's) i believe on the box of the last johnson reel i bought, 5-6 years ago, they said guartee a million cast or your money back....im gettin close i think!just a smoking crappie reel, nice smooth drag!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.