Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, this may cause some heads to bump but its my personal opinion...

IMO the reason land cost so much to lease in Missouri is because Non-Residents can lease land, and can come over and hunt guarantee'd for little to nothing compared to other states. I know we have non-resident members on this site, and Im not against you hunting in Missouri, but why dont Non-resident hunters have to draw for a firearms tag, like we have to in other state?

My personal opinion is because Missouri is about making as much money as it can. We have good hunting, cheap out of state tags, and anyone can come over and hunt.

Where this makes land hard to come by is that non-residents know they can lease a farm and travel up here during gun season and are guaranteed to hunt, and it dont hit there pocket so hard... Where as if we lease land in Iowa or Ill. we are takin a gamble. Yea we can bow hunt, for $400 or so but, we may not get to gun hunt it. Its a risky chance so many non-residents dont lease land in them states.

Im not sayin there is no land in Missouri to lease, but land in Missouri is much harder to come by, and the lease rates are high.

Now ill get off my soapbox.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
[rquote=1493614&tid=104311&author=Montauklunkerhunter]Again, this may cause some heads to bump but its my personal opinion...

IMO the reason land cost so much to lease in Missouri is because Non-Residents can lease land, and can come over and hunt guarantee'd for little to nothing compared to other states. I know we have non-resident members on this site, and Im not against you hunting in Missouri, but why dont Non-resident hunters have to draw for a firearms tag, like we have to in other state?

My personal opinion is because Missouri is about making as much money as it can. We have good hunting, cheap out of state tags, and anyone can come over and hunt.

Where this makes land hard to come by is that non-residents know they can lease a farm and travel up here during gun season and are guaranteed to hunt, and it dont hit there pocket so hard... Where as if we lease land in Iowa or Ill. we are takin a gamble. Yea we can bow hunt, for $400 or so but, we may not get to gun hunt it. Its a risky chance so many non-residents dont lease land in them states.

Im not sayin there is no land in Missouri to lease, but land in Missouri is much harder to come by, and the lease rates are high.

Now ill get off my soapbox.[/rquote]

Are you sure land in MO is hard to come by? Only 7 % of land in MO is Public. That leaves a wopping 93% to be had. :stirpot:

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
Again, there is nothing wrong with our seasons and methods as others have stated. Come one come all. :D

The NR's do bring in a lot of money to local businesses so they have a lot of good to bring with them...although I think it's a smack in the face that really the only place you see a "Welcome Hunters" sign is on a bar or place to buy beer with a beer label smacked right on the sign. :toilet:

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Disagree....... Look at the prices nationwide and you will find that Missouri is in the Middle....

Compare it to Texas also... :pop:

·
Button Buck Aficionado
1,194 Posts
Why is that a smack in the face letemgrow? Only reason I ask is because I sell the beer...and make a lot of those signs during early nov...

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
The reason land (purchase or lease) cost so much is the commercialization of hunting. It's big business and big businesses exploit that.

If you didn't have everyone chasing trophy deer, you wouldn't have 30 dollar an acre leases on good land and 10 dollars an acre on ozark rock outcropings.

Time and time again we do it to ourselves, then wonder why it happened, and try to come up with an alternative explanation.

·
Button Buck Aficionado
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't really consider it 'big business' -- most operations are small businesses just trying to get by themselves...I don't know any overly prosperous guides. The NRs have to play a big part in that as I've never known a resident Missourian use an outfitter. What if hunting is just exorbitantly popular in Missouri, thereby driving up the price of ground? What landowner/land seller wouldn't ask a premium price on that ground in their own best interest and if that is the market price?

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,323 Posts
As a non-resident I can give you several different reasons why certain things in your post are non-factual but as I'm really not in an arguing mood today I'll simply state the most obvious which is lease price. Simply log on to several different leasing agencies and compare MO leases to IA, IL, WI, KS, etc. MO, is certainly not higher than these areas unless you get around some of the major cities.

As far as comparing tag prices and draw results in other states while I agree it's not fair, I believe you're looking at it from the wrong angle. It's not MO who's doing it wrong it's KS, IA, and IL. There is absolutely no reason that tag prices should be that high, and MO shouldn't change a policy they have in place that's a good policy just to get even with the surrounding states that have bad policies.
As a KS resident I hate the fact that tags are around $500, I hate the fact that even though we own ground in IA that I can't draw a archery buck tag every year but I still have to pay taxes...These policies weren't put with the right idea in mind. I would prefer the tags to be cheaper..it would allow realatives and friends to visit and hunt with me, it would bring more money into the economy, it would bring more funding to the different divisions of Wildlife Dept. thus giving them more resources to improve game populations.
I've lived and hunted in almost every state in the mid-west including MO, in my opinion your DNR should be praised with all the great policies they have put into place instead of constantly criticized. Trust me the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its supply and demand.... There is a bigger demand in missouri than in other states such as Ill and Iowa. Look at the number of tags sold every year in Missouri vs. Ill... I know several people in Ill that lease several properties reasonable, not through a broker. In missouri you can find it but its few and far between. So year maybe hunting has become a marketing buisness, but by all means, the land in MO is marketed more than in other states. With the exception of Pike County Ill. :D

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1493679&tid=104311&author=bowhuntKS]I can give you several different reasons why certain things in your post are non-factual but as I'm really not in an arguing mood today I'll simply state the most obvious which is lease price. Simply log on to several different leasing agencies and compare MO leases to IA, IL, WI, KS, etc. MO, is certainly not higher than these areas unless you get around some of the major cities.

.[/rquote]

Exactly, that land is all going through a broker, so it is being marketed.

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,323 Posts
[rquote=1493655&tid=104311&author=curtism1234]The reason land (purchase or lease) cost so much is the commercialization of hunting. It's big business and big businesses exploit that.

If you didn't have everyone chasing trophy deer, you wouldn't have 30 dollar an acre leases on good land and 10 dollars an acre on ozark rock outcropings.

Time and time again we do it to ourselves, then wonder why it happened, and try to come up with an alternative explanation. [/rquote]

And I second most of this post....every time we buy a hunting video, by a Drury sweatshirt, etc, then we give the big companies more money to buy or lease more ground thus driving up prices. Although I still by the videos and I still complain.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1493690&tid=104311&author=bowhuntKS][rquote=1493655&tid=104311&author=curtism1234]The reason land (purchase or lease) cost so much is the commercialization of hunting. It's big business and big businesses exploit that.

Time and time again we do it to ourselves, then wonder why it happened, and try to come up with an alternative explanation. [/rquote]

And I second most of this post....every time we buy a hunting video, by a Drury sweatshirt, etc, then we give the big companies more money to buy or lease more ground thus driving up prices. Although I still by the videos and I still complain.[/rquote]

Agreed, and I also agree that its ridculous that you own land in IA and cant draw a buck tag, yet you still gotta pay taxes

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I think you may be off on your assumption that lease price are higher in Mo. ILL and Iowa leases are extremely expensive. Ground is more expensive in both states than Missouri too. I would really like to know where you are getting information showing that Missouri has the highest lease rates???

There is plenty of land you can hunt for free in Missouri too. Just need to knock on a few doors and do not be discouraged by "no". All it takes is one "yes" and you may have your own free place to hunt.

bowhuntKS - I totally agree with you. We are very lucky to have the access and resonable prices we have. I love that my brother who lives in FL can come back and hunt our farm each year without having to see if they can draw in.

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,323 Posts
[rquote=1493682&tid=104311&author=Montauklunkerhunter]Its supply and demand.... There is a bigger demand in missouri than in other states such as Ill and Iowa. Look at the number of tags sold every year in Missouri vs. Ill... I know several people in Ill that lease several properties reasonable, not through a broker. In missouri you can find it but its few and far between. So year maybe hunting has become a marketing buisness, but by all means, the land in MO is marketed more than in other states. With the exception of Pike County Ill. :D[/rquote]

Just want to make sure I'm understanding this, you're saying that land in MO is marketed more than Buffalo county WI, South Eastern KS, Southern IA, the Milk River in Montana, along the Platte in NE, and the entire state of Texas? Where exactly are you getting these numbers from?

·
Button Buck Aficionado
1,194 Posts
Well, what is the cause of the recent hike in land prices and leases regionally? Any facts/opinions? I just know that rec land has spiked as of late-- although I may be wrong -- but I know guys that were buying land for $500-$1000 an acre not too long ago and now we're seeing $1500-$2500 an acre....the curve is to steep not to be attributed to something other than inflation or a weak dollar...

·
11,357 Posts
There is no knocking on doors in my area... I wish there was, but it is just unheard of anymore. EVERYONE either hunts themselves, Leases, or doesn't believe in hunting period. I am a surveyor and get to network with landowners A LOT and in my area, there is VERY little exception to what I have said above. I am not saying other parts of the state aren't different though, just think it depends on where you are at:cheers:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1493698&tid=104311&author=Heart shot]I think you may be off on your assumption that lease price are higher in Mo. ILL and Iowa leases are extremely expensive. Ground is more expensive in both states than Missouri too. I would really like to know where you are getting information showing that Missouri has the highest lease rates???

[/rquote]

Like ive stated, I have a buddy that leases 3 prime farms in Ill. Peoria area. A total of 2100 acres and he spends $6,000 a year.... Good luck findin that in Missouri.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1493719&tid=104311&author=Montauklunkerhunter][rquote=1493698&tid=104311&author=Heart shot]I think you may be off on your assumption that lease price are higher in Mo. ILL and Iowa leases are extremely expensive. Ground is more expensive in both states than Missouri too. I would really like to know where you are getting information showing that Missouri has the highest lease rates???

[/rquote]

Like ive stated, I have a buddy that leases 3 prime farms in Ill. Peoria area. A total of 2100 acres and he spends $6,000 a year.... Good luck findin that in Missouri.[/rquote]

Good luck finding that ANYWHERE.

Geesh, the state of KS pays a little more than that to landowners for WIHA rights.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
[rquote=1493707&tid=104311&author=Drenalinjunky]Well, what is the cause of the recent hike in land prices and leases regionally? Any facts/opinions? I just know that rec land has spiked as of late-- although I may be wrong -- but I know guys that were buying land for $500-$1000 an acre not too long ago and now we're seeing $1500-$2500 an acre....the curve is to steep not to be attributed to something other than inflation or a weak dollar...[/rquote]

The land and housing market was at a premium. Prices inflated. $1500 - 2500 for land is cheap in my area. You can find land going from $3500 - 6500 per acre around here.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Anyone looking for leasing partners?:wave:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts