Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt Officers ACP will not feed. Bullet lodges against bottom of barrel end and will not scoot into barrel. Bullet is Blaser 230 gr ball. I believe the problem to be the clip. Any suggestions? Help please.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
If it's the magazine, easy fix, swap it out for another. It could also be the profile of the ammo, if the round nose hits the slide stop, that will cause it to lock open. I agree that it should be throated and polished, an easy operation if you know what you're doing. If it's a factory Colt magazine, throw it away and buy a Wilson.
I'd strip it down, and check out the bushing and the whole thing, the bushings on OMs are prone to breakage, which will tie things up, too. I'd bet seriously on the magazine, though, Colt used a cheap, bid-outsubcontractor's magazine.
The last thing, and I mean no disrespect, is called limp-wristing, which will also cause hangups. If the pistol isn't gripped solidly, the movement of the hands will not let the pistol work properly, as it has to have something to work against. All that takes to fix is a firm grip on the pistol.
I'd wager it was something simple like a bad magazine or grip, though, since Officer's ACPs are usually throated pretty well.

·
19,586 Posts
Try spreading the lips of the clip a little, to allow the round to come up a bit further while feeding...

I had the same problem with my Colt Officers ACP, because of the type ammo I was trying to shoot.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears that thr foreward end of the carrier?(clip top) needs to be bent upward almose 1/16 in to launch bullet into alignment with bore. It won't even load when hand racked.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
You could replace the follower of the magazine, but the lips are still gonna be "off" and it's pretty difficult to get them bent correctly. It sounds like it's new magazine time! Cheap insurance is a new Wilson magazine, the feed lips are correctly shaped to feed SWC, HP and, yes, ball ammo, too. I seriously recommend replacing the factory magazine. Look closely at the top/rear of it, where the cutout is, there are square corners there. What you want is a radiused corner, the square ones WILL crack eventually, and that causes problems, too. Since you know the follower is bad, you might as well scrap it. More malfunctions are caused by magazines than anything else, and Colt magazines are notorious for causing trouble. IF it's got Colt's rampant horse stamped on the magazine, put it in the box for possible resale value enhancement (which is stupid for bad magazines, but dealers like to see them) and buy some Wilsons or Shooting Stars, both are as good as it gets.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a new mag on order. Will also see my gunsmith tonite. I want to make some smoke with this thing-lots of smoke.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Visited gunsmith today. He tried 2 more mags in the pistol and each time it jamed when hand racked. Left it with him.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GG its already been throated and looks slick as can be. I am perplexed.(is that the right word?)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 5 auto pistols in my armory. Four of them are very dependable. This one was a gift from my wife. She knew I had wanted it a long time. I know the previous owner and the gunsmith that did all the work on it.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds scary doesn't it. Fortunatly I have confidence in both of them and their work. Hope I still feel that way in a few days.

·
19,586 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
I still say throat and polish. :wave:
Anybody have an idea of what that would cost (guesstimate)?

I need to have it done to mine, 'cause I have the same problem. I should be receiving my CCW permit soon, and I'm thinkin' this is the pistol I want to carry.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
T&P usually cost about $30 or so, it's simple to do. I'm surprised that a new magazine didn't fix the ailment. Have the smith check the extractor tension, if it's too tight, it won't let the round feed properly, and just for fun, have him check the breechface dimensions. I have seen a Colt slide, marked .45 ACP, clear as a bell, with a breechface milled for 9mm/.38Super, it happens. Luckily, the victim's father was a pistolsmith, and milled it out without any expense. THAT GUY could do a throat and polish, after he worked on my pistol, it would feed cigar butts and used Yugos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.