Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range this morning, to check the zeros on my rifles, and to play around a little (I never get tired of shooting). My .223s are showing signs of distress and hard livin':roll2:. The barrels are about done, and that's no kidding:whinging:. I think I may have to lay off a year and spend some money at the gunsmith's for barrel replacement. I can do the Savage myself, at a buddy's place (he has all the neat tools to do a Savage) but the Howa has to go out of town, as there's no point in not doing it right. I'm thinking of a Pac Nor barrel, they aren't too expensive and the quality is excellent. The chambering has me stymied, back to .223, or .204, or .17 Remington, or .221 Fireball, or .20/221 or...... You see, the list is practically endless, and all have merit, one way or another. I could give myself a headache thinking about it all. I did get some good groups today, but got more bad ones than good, with my PD loads. I guess I better ponder on it awhile, but I may have to pass on next spring's festivities, and look after the "kids" a little better.:banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know yet, that's something to worry about for next spring! I DO still have one rolling around here, from when I swapped out the old .223 barrel for the new .204 barrel, last spring. It was pretty worn, then, and still is! It's not quite ready for fence post status, but I wouldn't think it would be much of a barrel for anything useful. Most gunsmiths that rebarrel, have drums of the old barrels off in a corner someplace. So do most BR shooters, come to think of it. Being a rookie at this type of thing, I only have one barrel floating around right now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
glennasher1 i have a 223 thats got about 2000 rounds shot through it, what is the life span of a 223? i really like the gun but i wasnt for sure how many shots you can get through one. its a remington model 700.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
well personally i think you should just sell the non shooting wore out howa to me and go buy your self a good gun;)

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trapper, if not used Pdogging, they should be good for 5000-6000 rounds, if not shot very fast or furious. I'm guessing that many went thru mine, and they have been shot pretty hard. Remingtons have hammer-forged barrels, which will last longer than a Savage's button rifled tubes, too. I wouldn't worry about it until it quits shooting good enough to satisfy YOU, in any case. I am kinda fussy about those danged PD rifles, if they won't average under 3/4", I got antsy about them. The military figures on 10, 000 rounds thru an M16s chromeplated bore, but their standards are lower than mine, as their targets are bigger and shoot back.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
WOW glen, you've been doing a lot of shooting. but it does seem that in your line of playing things get accelerated by shooting so many so close together. would a .22 hornet ever be considered for play in the PD world?

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Originally posted by glennasher1
I guess I better ponder on it awhile, but I may have to pass on next spring's festivities, and look after the "kids" a little better.:banghead:
who are you trying to kid, us or you.:D

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, Hornets work okay, but are kind of a pain in the neck, to reload for. The .221 IS the modern Hornet, only a bit better, and I already have one of those, but AM thinking about a heavy barrelled one, for some reason! They are a hoot to shoot, recoil is more than an HMR, but not much!:D A buddy of mine has one of the Ruger #3s, in Hornet and he loves it, but is thinking of selling it for a new Savage Long Range Precision Varminter, the latest and greatest in the Savage line. Knowing how he feels about his Hornet, he got the PD bug, real, real bad! He just got back yesterday, from his first PD shoot, and is pretty enthusiastic and worked up. Hornets can be good up to about 200 yards, (so's the HMR:cool:) so I don't take it too seriously. The .221 Fireball uses HALF the powder of a .22/250, for 3100 fps with 50 grain bullets (.22/250s will touch 3850, so you can see how efficient they are!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.