private gun sales????

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by huntforfunnfood, Mar 15, 2006.

1. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    had some one ask me the other day about buying/selling handguns privately or from person to person.

i really had to admit i didn't know what the proper steps were to be honest. i know its all good with long guns.

i think one (the buyer) has to get a permit to purschace a handgun from there sheriff just as if you were buying from a dealer? is this correct? if so what is the "punishment" if one was to buy or have a handgun with out getting that "permit to buy?"

2. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I think you're correct about the permit requirement to do it by the book, but not sure if there is anything else required.
    Not sure what the punishment would be.

3. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    the alst time i checked (2 years ago) sales of pistols to private individual from another private indavidual was no back ground check neaded at all. It was advised thouhg that I make shure i know the person as it is elegal for a person to sell a gun pistol or long to sertin convicted criminals. Also sellign private to private there is no proff that u sodl it so if new person uses a gun registerd to u in a crim well you get that drift. I always photocopy the persons drivers lisence when perchasing/or selling a gun from/to private indavidual, and amke a bill of sail only to be used if gun i sold used in a crim and they come looking to me. If the day came and guns were forcable confiscated papers woudl disapear. Sorry mister law man i sold that gun years ago. And i am hopping that the ppl i baught guns from private to private will do same in that situations.

But since gun laws are always changing and ignorance of the law is no defence check wiht your municipality u live in. Just call the cort hosue where you have to do pistol back ground checks if perchasing from dealer.

4. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I sold a Glock to one of my buds recently, and he talked to the Sheriff in his county, and he said that all that was needed was the pistol permit from the county that the buyer lives in. (of course this is MO res. to MO res. too.)

I signed the permit as the seller, and he signed as the buyer, and everything has went through.

I typed out a bill of sale that we both signed that accompanied the permit too.

Parker

5. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    Private sales of handguns require a purchase permit from your county sheriff. There is legislation in Mo congress right now that will do away with a purchase permit if you have a CCW license. Hope it passes. Boog

6. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Missouri has two laws dealing with the transfer of firearms. I have pasted them below. In essence if you transfer any firearm to someone you know is a dangerous felon, drunk, druggie or lunatic you're possibly committing a D felony. If you transfer a handgun without a permit you're on the hook for an A misdemeanor.

Unlawful transfer of weapons, penalty.
    571.060. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful transfer of weapons if he:

(1) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who, under the provisions of section 571.070, is not lawfully entitled to possess such;

(2) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a blackjack to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian, or recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, RSMo, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers any firearm to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian; provided, that this does not prohibit the delivery of such weapons to any peace officer or member of the armed forces or national guard while performing his official duty; or

(3) Recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, RSMo, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to a person who is intoxicated.

2. Unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section is a class D felony; unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivisions (2) and (3) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A misdemeanor.

Transfer of concealable firearms without permit unlawful--exceptions --permit valid for thirty days--violation, penalty.
    571.080. 1. A person commits the crime of transfer of a concealable firearm without a permit if:

(1) He buys, leases, borrows, exchanges or otherwise receives any concealable firearm, unless he first obtains and delivers to the person delivering the firearm a valid permit authorizing the acquisition of the firearm; or

(2) He sells, leases, loans, exchanges, gives away or otherwise delivers any concealable firearm, unless he first demands and receives from the person receiving the firearm a valid permit authorizing such acquisition of the firearm.

2. A permit to acquire a concealable firearm shall only be valid for thirty days after the issuance thereof.

3. Subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to the acquisition by or transfer of concealable firearms among manufacturers, wholesalers or retailers of firearms for purposes of commerce; nor shall it apply to antique firearms or replicas thereof; nor shall it apply to curio or relic firearms as defined in section 571.010.

4. Transfer of concealable firearms without a permit is a class A misdemeanor.

7. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I hope so too. That would save us from a big waste of time.