Pricing question

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by rh44mag, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rh44mag

rh44mag Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Independence
    I always hate these kinda questions but I am going to ask anyway. My dad has decided he is unable to hunt any more and wants to sell off a couple of the non-plinking guns. He wants to sell his TC hawkins. It has a couple of handling marks but is in great condition. It is about 25 years old but never really shot much. I have no ideas where to even begin with a price. I looked on the auction site and the prices are all over the place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Got nothing on suggestions on a price....but you can always come down in your price....:shrug:

3. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    Unfortunately the Hawkens probably aren't worth much online, people are just spooky buying used muzzleloaders over the internet, and for good reason. I got burned on one. If you got $200 for one I think you would be doing pretty good. I think your best bet would be selling them local, maybe take out a classified ad, ask high and come down based on the offers you get.

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Used muzzleloaders (especially sidelocks) just tank in value. It's like a new car :D

This is a T/C Hawken or a T/C Renegade? The Renegade generally brings in a little more money. Kits are worth a lot less than the factory guns unless it looks just like the factory gun.

Prices are all over the charts on the internet and imo only fools pay the expensive prices concidering someone else will post the same gun in a month for a lot cheaper.

Like Kev, I was thinking that $200 is pretty much top dollar rational buyers will pay and that's because it's a T/C. I think you could probably get that price if you advertise it well and hold out. In the end, you may end up selling it for as low as $150 though. If it's in the condition you say it is, it should bring that so I wouldn't go lower.