Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Twain Lake is excited to announce that the newest facility in the Archery Park is complete and available for use by archery enthusiasts. The Elevated Archery Stand offers a simulated hunting experience by providing an elevated position for archers to shoot 3D targets at distances ranging from 10 yards to 35 yards. We hope that visitors using the facility enjoy their experiences.

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
November 19, 2015, Mark Twain Lake, MO - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Mark Twain Lake is pleased to announce the receipt of a $20,000 Handshake Partnership grant for the development of an archery park in the Frank Russell Recreation Area. The project will be developed in collaboration with the Mark Twain Lake Friends of Recreation and Environmental Stewardship Council (FOREST). The Frank Russell Archery Park will fulfill customer demands, promote quality outdoor experiences, and support the environmental and recreational missions of the Corps of Engineer

· Registered
70,866 Posts
How do they keep the 3-D targets from walking off during the night (high fence area?) and just how do they keep shooters safe when the targets are sprinkled like in the photo in an open field at different yardages?

15,013 Posts
How do they keep the 3-D targets from walking off during the night (high fence area?) and just how do they keep shooters safe when the targets are sprinkled like in the photo in an open field at different yardages?
This isn't KC, they have rules, when others are around, you shoot 3 arrows, wait until everyone is done and put their bows down, then go get your arrows. I usually ask how many arrows someone is shooting and do the same. There are targets butts to the left of the photo.
I stopped by the other day, looked pretty nice, they close the gate at night

Not sure about the rules on the elevated part, at Lake 370, they say one person on the elevated portion at a time. Which most do not, sometimes 3 guys are shooting at same time, other wise it would take forever....looks like this is set up for more then one.

· Under appreciated
93,225 Posts
I’ve done their walk-thru course and its pretty good also... LONG shots.

15,013 Posts
did not notice the course portion, as they had a crew working on stuff

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
It's a range Bill.....range rules apply to shooting safely, just like at any other target range. Theft is a concern......stuff does have a habit of walking off in parking lots etc around the lake. Access to this is somewhat controlled but if someone wanted to get in there late at night and pack off a target or ten I'd say they probably could.

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
The range I shoot at has target butts only and you shoot and pull your arrows as a group. Shoot a few and pull. The range is not manned or gated but we are trying to get it fenced with a gate.
The type of targets don't change range rules and courtesy. Dumbasses that shoot while others are pulling arrows can happen at any range. I had to stop a guy at Landahl Park range last time I was there for the MDS shoot.

· Registered
70,866 Posts
This isn't KC, they have rules, when others are around, you shoot 3 arrows, wait until everyone is done and put their bows down, then go get your arrows. I usually ask how many arrows someone is shooting and do the same. There are targets butts to the left of the photo.
I stopped by the other day, looked pretty nice, they close the gate at night

Not sure about the rules on the elevated part, at Lake 370, they say one person on the elevated portion at a time. Which most do not, sometimes 3 guys are shooting at same time, other wise it would take forever....looks like this is set up for more then one.

We have the same courtesy you speak of at our range but I was confused with the layout of the targets in the above photo. How does more than one archer shoot those....one archer per target that shoots a few arrows and then pull? I just don't see any shooting lanes in the photo is all.

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts

We have the same courtesy you speak of at our range but I was confused with the layout of the targets in the above photo. How does more than one archer shoot those....one archer per target that shoots a few arrows and then pull? I just don't see any shooting lanes in the photo is all.
Ugh.

Look at the first two pictures. There aren't any lanes. You shoot from the elevated platform or from under the platform. I see no reason why several shooters couldn't shoot at once then all go get arrows at the same time. Wouldn't be any worse than a 3D shoot. Maybe keep it at 4 or less arrows per target to minimize arrow damage.

Reactions: Dafish

· Banned
11,379 Posts

Can you circle each one in red so we can see them?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.