Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Pretty cool morning

407 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hunter79 
#1 ·
Got down in the woods behind the house this morning and jumped a deer on the way in. Got fairly disgusted that I did that, but from the sound of it, I didnt spook it to bad. Only took about 3 bounds. Never saw the flag it was so dark.

Decided to sit there for a little while and see what was around at daylight. Nothing.

About 7:30 I could hear deer RUNNING at the bottom of the hill in the woods, but couldnt see it. I'd imagine a buck was doing some chasing.

Around 8:00 I decide to go to the side hill pasture and see what was around. Nothing. I get down to the bottom of the hill and look down the dam and there is a buck coming right at me! 80yds off. I figure he's going to keep coming up the road right at me, so I just tuck in some weeds and sit and wait.
Caught a few glimpses of him on his way but lost him. I figure, he's going to the pond, so I get up and do the low walk to the woods between me and the pond.

About halfway there I realize he already came thru the woods and was in the pasture 40 yds from me to my left and uphill. Mind you he and I both are in a wide open pasture. Grass is maybe 6" tall, so needless to say, we were both caught with our pants down.

He puts his head down, I had the wind dead in my face, he still hasnt seen me so I said to heck with it. Close the distance and try to get off a shot. I make it about 10yds and he finally looks over and sees me. He's completely broadside, upwind and uphill. I slowly rotate my bow into position with him looking right at me. He turns straight at me and starts walking my way! :eek:

As I lifted my bow arm he stopped and started to go broadside again at about 10yds away. I drew back and he bounded a couple bounds. I let the string down just as he stopped 20yds away and went broadside again!:stickfight:

I ended up chasing him literally all the way back to the house. Always just a little out of range.

He was a young 4 point, just after the wemenz I reckon. Didnt respond to the grunt call at all.

All in all it was pretty fun. Wasnt mr. big, but woulda been tasty. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
:eek:: story even though you didn't get him. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.