predator reg change??

Discussion in 'Predators' started by tinker, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Wow.... dense.

2. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Wow.... dense.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Yes you are , but we are used to it. Lol

4. henry

Dense would be making a statement like this and then later admitting you were actually pheasant hunting. :confused:

5. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Please read genius....

6. henry

7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    We were talking about hunting turkeys like upland birds. Catch up... or maybe just go lie some more

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    “Like” upland birds eh? :D

9. henry

I don't think shooting a turkey while pheasant hunting is hunting turkeys with dogs. I shot a coyote while quail hunting once , but I wasn't hunting coyotes with setters.

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Where is the "going right over his head" smiley????

11. birdman

birdman Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Just for the heck of it I went and looked up the bowhunter survey results for Camden county from twenty years ago. In 1998 hunters in Camden county saw 591 turkeys/thousand hours. In 2016(the latest year the results are in) hunters in Camden county saw 210 turkeys/thousand hours. Yep, no doubt about it, you all have just as many turkeys as ever. We're just to blind to see them.

rat likes this.
  12. birdman

birdman Active Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Just for your information, the average turkeys sighted on the bowhunter survey from 2000 to 2005 was 667/thousand hours. In 2016 it was down to 251/thousand hours. That's a 62% decline in sightings statewide. Not quite 75%, but there's no way hunters are seeing this many fewer birds without a huge decline in population.

rat and 20' like this.
  13. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Screenshot_20180212-075904.jpg

14. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    When THE ONCE GREATEST ON EARTH TURKEY POPULATION OF ADAIR COUNTY TANKED concerned citizens arranged a meeting with mdc experts.They were told that they still had all the turkey , i guess even thou no one could see or hear them no longer. MDC did a airplane census that winter.The finding was that there were few turkey left.
    i was looking at the county breakdown of bob cat harvest in 2016.Knox County reported 9 bobcat. THE STRANGE THING WAS THAT 4 OF THEM CAME FROM MY farm and another WITHIN 3/4 OF A MILE FROM MY FARM. Four of the nine came off of 388 acres.The bow hunter survey of racoon sighting in Adair and Knox county were among the highest in the state BUT the small counties to the north were just average.

15. henry

Looky there fellas. All you gotta do is dog around and find a graph that knocks 7 years off the turkey population and thinks don't look so bad. Lol.

Birdman. After the last 2 years things will be looking worse. I had hoped our previous trend would last but 2 years at less than one phr is going to hurt.

16. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    We are not below the previous lows indicated on the statistical population reconstruction graph I posted.

17. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

That is interesting stuff right there, turkey hunting is what I would consider very good ther, but if what the people who hunted there 20-30 ago say is accurate it would have been turketbheaven!

18. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    So, it may not be the best time to consider doubling the spring hunting season in terms of hours??? And please don't give me that males birds don't matter

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Anytime is a good time for that. When it comes to turkeys more opportunity is better. .ale birds are short lived and expendable, harvest of jakes is extremely low, and MO has the largest population of birds in the nation.

20. henry

Mo doesn't have the largest population of birds on the nation. Lord.