Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year bowhunter and need help. I just got permission from a landowner to hunt and don't know where to put my stands. I saw 6 nice bucks, biggest was 16 and smallest was a 10, all together in a group right at sunset and now have permission to hunt the land. The land is 40 acres with the following features: 1/2 is timber on a hill overlooking a hayfield, other half is the hayfield. The field and timber is divided by a small creek. I saw the deer in an opening near the creek on the field side on 3 different evenings but they mowed it and haven't seen the deer there since. Along the field side of the creek is a ton of thorns and small thicket trees covered with deer trails but the timber also has a ton of trails. The hayfield has two small ponds in the open with a lot of small deer tracks and some pockets of trees close. Thinking I should focus on the trails in the thick thorns next to the creek since big bucks like heavy cover and rarely leave it. All of the small dried up bamboo like weeds have been bitten in half already but no rubs yet. Any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! Chris

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time

Well, I work in Law Enforcement and will be really busy up until season. I lit up the field the other night (looking for criminals haha) and saw two does bedded down where the bucks had been and this was after it was mowed. The landowner said the bucks rarely make themselves visible and stay in the woods and also follow the creek area alot. He puts food out on his back porch and said only does will come up to eat unless its near the rut and then the bucks will chase. I guess I can start hunting the creek are and move my stand if I don't have any luck or start finding rubs. When do they start making rubs anyway? Thanks, Chris

· Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome aboard Chris!!!

40 acres and 1/2 being open hayfield... I would limit most of my scouting to binoculars from a distance... I would be very careful not to bump the bucks out of there first of all... Next try to piece together the surrounding properties and what they have to offer deer and then decide how your spot fits into that equation... Ask yourself What are they doing? How are they doing it? and Why?

If the creek is holding some water in some spots and it stays this dry you might look there first..

Good Luck....

· Registered
42,104 Posts
Originally posted by ccso640
He puts food out on his back porch
Problem solved... have him slide his recliner out on the back porch... ;)

But like you said, if it were me, Id stick to the thicket so to speak... atleast start out there and change as needed...

good luck my friend and we like pics, hope to see ya get a big'n

:cheers:

· Registered
5,362 Posts
:wave:
Walk the creek and find the trail (s) that have tracks going both ways, Put a stand close to the edge of the field for your evening hunts (deer coming from bedding) and a stand or 2 100 to 200 yards back in the woods for morning hunts when the deer move from the field to the woods. If the deer are using the field to feed they are bedding close by, most likely on your hill. stay off the hill as much as you can before the season and try and watch whear the deer enter the field in the evening and leave it in the morning and you are close to being set up. Sounds like a hot spot! Good Luck...:eek:

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen alot of deer but never 6 shooters all together. Freaked me out and feel lucky to have permission now. There's so many trails its hard to tell what they're doing. Not much for crops in the immediate area but I did find a nice trail in the woods near the creek at the bottom of the hill where it basically looked like a cow trail, no cows there for the past 3 years per the property owner. Think I'll set one there and another one near the field in the thicket. Thanks everyone! Looking forward to bowhunting, might leave the gun in the case and hunt the real way from now on! Chris

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Welcome aboard! Thank goodness there is someone on here that is a rookie to archery as well, although you probably have experience hunting. Anyway welcome and be very afraid of the Rebelcj7, he wears his pants backwards, not that there's anything wrong with that.
:rotfl:

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
better get them quick before they spilt up and start heading for their own turf.:cheers:

· Registered
1,151 Posts
You know an awful lot of details about the woods for just getting permission so I will assume you've been spending some time in there. That's why you're not seein' them anymore. Keep your stinky self out of there until season and scout with binoc's as the others have recommended. You have almost a month to hope they forget about you. When season begins, hunt evenings only and try to intercept them coming to the field where you've seen them enter it FROM A DISTANCE. Hang a stand near the creek so you can walk it out of there after dark without bumping ANY deer. Try to hunt a spot where you can see up in the timber a ways to see if any patterns develop......preferably where you can see a thicket or two. Around the end of Oct. start hunting mornings if you can figure out a way to get in there without bumping the deer in the field. When they start chasing, hunt all day at the edge of the thickets or just inside them(you have to get in early and leave late). If you ever see a big one, keep a log on where, when, weather, etc. Unless he's being chased, there's usually a reason he was there then. The most important thing to remember is that it's very easy to burn out a 20 acre piece of woods so be careful about bumping deer and watch your scent. Ok, I'm done rambling.

· VECtor Custom Calls
41,488 Posts
Well, I work in Law Enforcement and will be really busy up until season. I lit up the field the other night (looking for criminals haha)
Impressive........

Parker

· Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stands

Thanks for all of the advice. I've only been on the property once which is the other day. It borders a main highway so its easy to see the layout so thats how I know about it. Going Saturday to put up 2 stands then I'm outta there until season starts. Would it be worth it to dump some corn feed in a few areas close to my stands to get them coming to the area and used to the new stands? It would be gone by Sept 15th so baiting would not matter. There's a nice trail on the woods side of the creek at the bottom of the hill that goes along the creek then crosses over to the field. Going to put one there and another in a totally miserable place covering a small thicket of thorns, 8 feet tall weeds that itch like crazy, plus a ton of old fallen brush. They have trail right through that stuff and there's a few nice birch trees for another stand. We'll see, guess I can always move one if I have to when I start finding rubs later on. Chris

· Registered
5,362 Posts
Dont move your stand to the rubs! when scrapes open up maybe move it to them, although by then you should have a better pattern, Im not to high on scrape line hunting and the rubs just tell you he is or was in the area, I would concentrate on bedding to feeding areas. Again Just my $.02 Rubs are a real confidence builder & I love to see them but resist the temptation and hunt the travel routes.

· Registered
598 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Well, I work in Law Enforcement and will be really busy up until season. I lit up the field the other night (looking for criminals haha)
Impressive........

Parker
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that, but hey we are civilian citizens.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
welcome to MWT:wave::rotfl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.