Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
GMB, you still use sabots or not?
Not that I shoot that much, but I've never shot anything but .45's in my .50 (with various sabots).
Obviously, I'm giving up some mass there.
I got away from them mostly in the 45s. I shoot them exclusively in my 50 and 54. A few years ago the selection of 40cal bullets for 45x40 sabots was pretty poor. Sabot selection still sucks. You have 3 to choose from and if your bore is larger you are pretty much screwed.

Enter sabotless, with the same 45cal bullets you shoot in a 50cal with a sabot. HUGE difference. No wait time for the barrel to cool like you must shooting sabots if you want better accuracy. This is no secret at the inline shooting matches. Not one sabot shooting 45 has be able to compete with the sabotless shooters. Justin with Knight has done ok at some local matches but not on a national level with sabots.

Sabots part 2
Now we got Pittman Accumax, CEB and Fury Custom Bullets StarTip 40cals. Big improvement in quality and construction vs bullets we shot years ago in sabots. Pittman offers a big bump in BC. Fury offers a bonded 40cal in 250gr and good BC increase. CEB offers a 240gr solid copper. Also with a better BC.

But we are still stuck with 3 sabots and they are all rather short for the new longer bullets that will shoot great in a fast twist 45cal ML. About 250gr is close to the most you will get to work in any of them. They were never intended for bullets that long or heavy.

So what CVA is doing now is another $2 a pop plated bullet to compete with what guys have been doing for years in 45cals. I can get a 275gr or 300gr Parker BE for less in bulk but the BC is a tad less. They shoot great in my rifle though. Right around 2100fps without the need for JUMBO loads of BH209. I can get even better bullets for $77ish/50.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Some would argue that when you are shooting a low KE weapon to begin with, a pass thru is a waste of valuable energy that could have been delivered to the deer instead of a tree in the other side. Perhaps a bullet that delivers ALL of the KE by mushrooming flat and partially fragmenting is actually delivering more killing power than a pass thru. I know that deer shot with a cup and core bullet from 06 seem to die much quicker than those shot with a copper Barnes from my 338.
I think the massive hole in both sides and a heart torn to hell says it all. That exit hole is far larger than .458. Internals were mush when i gutted that deer. The Barnes did exactly what a Barnes is made to do. That load is right at 1900fps BTW. Pretty much the same as if it was shot from a 458SOCOM.

That deer went maybe 40 yards tops.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I shot another that day also with a 50cal 300gr FTX cup and core. No in and out pic but here is the heart from it. Virtually the same performance as a 50 Beowulf.

Its the top heart. Barnes is the lower heart.

I would say out of those 2 bullets shot at a very similar speed the Barnes did a better job of destroying tissue.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The Fury bullets for $75/50 plus shipping. When sized correctly these are great bullets for a fast twist 45cal. BC has been verified at .295. Not stellar but a very well made hunting bullet.

This is the 45 1-20 barrel i will have today unless UPS screws up. Notice how you can load it with a sized bare bullet and the speed you get from just 78.5gr of BH209. He is shooting the bullets i usually have. Parker Ballistic Extremes.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Another true premium bullet for 50cals that dont need a sabot. These are $80/50 (tipped) $50/50 (no tip) and the smaller one should shoot fine in a common 1-28 twist. Larger ones will probably need a heavier load to shoot as well.

He offers a small sizing pack $6 so you can order the size you need for your bore too
https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/208/muzzle-loader

Really shows how over priced a Powerbelt Plat or ELR really is compared to other premium priced bullets.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Exactly how is something designed for a Powerbelt and pellets? Its a 50cal 1-28 twist barrel just like the vast majority of barrels from other companies.

Lets use some common sense here. Fact is there is nothing that makes it DESIGNED to shoot them. BPI/Dikar owns both CVA and Powerbelt and they want you to buy their overpriced plated bullets at a huge mark up over the cost to make them. Harvester PT Gold are another pointy plated bullet. You can buy those for $26/50 or less.

You have been duped into a sale pitch and spending more but getting less for your $$$$s.

The standard CVA breach plug fires loose powders like Triple7 or Pyrodex just fine. You are kidding yourself if you think they wont. Again you are paying more and getting far less for your $$$s. 100gr of loose Triple7 gives you more speed than 2 pellets and cost MUCH less per shot.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Exactly how is something designed for a Powerbelt and pellets? Its a 50cal 1-28 twist barrel just like the vast majority of barrels from other companies.

Lets use some common sense here. Fact is there is nothing that makes it DESIGNED to shoot them. BPI/Dikar owns both CVA and Powerbelt and they want you to buy their overpriced plated bullets at a huge mark up over the cost to make them. Harvester PT Gold are another pointy plated bullet. You can buy those for $26/50 or less.

You have been duped into a sale pitch and spending more but getting less for your $$$$s.

The standard CVA breach plug fires loose powders like Triple7 or Pyrodex just fine. You are kidding yourself if you think they wont. Again you are paying more and getting far less for your $$$s. 100gr of loose Triple7 gives you more speed than 2 pellets and cost MUCH less per shot.
But the fact remains that there's not much easier than dropping 3 pellets down the barrel, pushing a PB down easy as cutting warm butter, shooting MOA out to 200yds with an Accura, and watching crits crumble. Bullets are always the cheapest part of hunting. My motto is "I didn't come here to save lives or bullets!"

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

That's what the paperwork will said Don't care what you think, know or say!
Priced the components when I first got the front stuffer
Thought Bass Pro in St. Charles was high till I went to Walmart.
About a third more per shot at Walmart.
Things might have changed over the years, but would go to Walmart now if it was free

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
And yet ive never seen 3 pellets and a PB shoot MOA at 200 yards. Not once and ive seen tons of people try.

I can dump loose powder from a tube just as easily unless im laying down. If you are not carrying your powder or pellets in some kind of tube while hunting you should be. Pellets start to go bad from the minute they are put in boxes. They dont seal worth a crap. Who knows how long they been on the shelf at Wally World before Cletus and Bubba come around to buy a box.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
That's what the paperwork will said Don't care what you think, know or say!
Priced the components when I first got the front stuffer
Thought Bass Pro in St. Charles was high till I went to Walmart.
About a third more per shot at Walmart.
Things might have changed over the years, but would go to Walmart now if it was free
Actually they recommend IMR WhiteHots. So now are you gunna run out and buy a box of Whitehots?

WHAT IS THE BEST BULLET AND POWDER COMBINATION FOR MY GUN?
Several blackpowder substitutes are available on the market. Each has different properties, advantages and disadvantages. You may want to try several to fi nd the best one for you based on your individual needs. However, after extensive and long-term testing, CVA has found that, in terms of accuracy, cleanliness, and ease of use, IMR®WhiteHots® is the best performing and most highly recommended pelletized propellant for use in CVA muzzleloaders. Use in conjunction with PowerBelt™ Bullets for absolute best results

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
And yet ive never seen 3 pellets and a PB shoot MOA at 200 yards. Not once and ive seen tons of people try.

I can dump loose powder from a tube just as easily unless im laying down. If you are not carrying your powder or pellets in some kind of tube while hunting you should be. Pellets start to go bad from the minute they are put in boxes. They dont seal worth a crap. Who knows how long they been on the shelf at Wally World before Cletus and Bubba come around to buy a box.
You didn't even read my post.
I wouldn't go to Walmart if it was free.
I also wouldn't use a Acura for anything!

·
Banned
7,228 Posts

My 45 does, all day. And with pellets I can keep my powder, bullet, and primer all in the same speedloader tube. Very handy for Target rich environments.
Plant Plant community Tree Carnivore Outdoor recreation

Reactions: Bob58

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I stocked up on platinum power belts a few years ago after the season when Wally World had em on clearance $9/15 packs.

·
2 Corinthians 5:10
1,676 Posts
@GMB54-120
I bought some Hornady 200gr HP XTP .44 with sabots for my .54 caliber years ago. Didn't get them all used up before I switched last season to a .50 caliber ML (CVA Wolf). My question is - what is your thoughts around using this bullet with .50 cal sabots? I see mostly heavier bullets being talked about here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That's what the little foam pad is for on the top, duh!
You really think that little maxi pad in the box does squat? You are gullible if you believe that. Cases of those pellets ship in cardboard boxes. Ive seen a full case. I know of Ultimate ML shooters who bought them that way and switched to BH209. God only knows how long they sit in a warehouse before they even go on a shelf. There is nothing even remotely as well sealed as a bottle of powder about them.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts