Powder coating bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by bulletman, Jan 5, 2018.

1. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    @sharps4590

Have any of you powder coated your cast bullets, or even heard of people doing it? I don't live in the cast world of bullets but did read an article regarding it.

2. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    What would be the purpose of powder coating bullets?

Being a heat-activiated product, I would think powder coat would present some undesireable fouling in the barrel that might be difficult to remove when cleaning.

3. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I have used them from missouri bullet company, it's their hi-tek bullets.

It seems to reduce leading.

4. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    There is a lot of info about it on the "Castboolits" website, but I have resisted going that route just personal preference for the traditional lubes and I need less stuff to mess with rather than more stuff! It does seem to have a lot of good reviews though. :elmer:

sharps4590 likes this.
  5. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Sorry, duplicate post

6. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    From what I have read, it looks like a lot of work to coat your own. Would like to try it in a micro-groove 30-30. I expect to order some from MBC when my reloading shed warms up.

7. 76_michael

76_michael Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    I powder coat my cast 9 mm and 45 cal bullets . Less leading the barrel and shoot really good . And its very easy to powder coat them too

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    I'm in the same boat as huntinmo. I do know of several guys who PC their bullets and have read fairly extensively on the process and results. Evidently you can drive cast bullets a bit faster with PC over conventional lube methods but gas checks have always worked fine for me to achieve that end. I've never heard a bad report about it. Mostly it seems guys do it to get away from lubing one bullet at a time as compared to doing however many they can get in their oven. Interesting means of doing cast bullets but I doubt it's something I'll pursue.