Powder coating bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by bulletman, Jan 5, 2018.

1. bulletman

bulletman Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    @sharps4590

Have any of you powder coated your cast bullets, or even heard of people doing it? I don't live in the cast world of bullets but did read an article regarding it.

2. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    What would be the purpose of powder coating bullets?

Being a heat-activiated product, I would think powder coat would present some undesireable fouling in the barrel that might be difficult to remove when cleaning.

3. vipershooter

vipershooter Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    carrollton mo
    I have used them from missouri bullet company, it's their hi-tek bullets.

It seems to reduce leading.

4. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    There is a lot of info about it on the "Castboolits" website, but I have resisted going that route just personal preference for the traditional lubes and I need less stuff to mess with rather than more stuff! It does seem to have a lot of good reviews though. :elmer:

sharps4590 likes this.
  5. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Sorry, duplicate post

6. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    From what I have read, it looks like a lot of work to coat your own. Would like to try it in a micro-groove 30-30. I expect to order some from MBC when my reloading shed warms up.

vonfatman likes this.
  7. 76_michael

76_michael Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    I powder coat my cast 9 mm and 45 cal bullets . Less leading the barrel and shoot really good . And its very easy to powder coat them too

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    I'm in the same boat as huntinmo. I do know of several guys who PC their bullets and have read fairly extensively on the process and results. Evidently you can drive cast bullets a bit faster with PC over conventional lube methods but gas checks have always worked fine for me to achieve that end. I've never heard a bad report about it. Mostly it seems guys do it to get away from lubing one bullet at a time as compared to doing however many they can get in their oven. Interesting means of doing cast bullets but I doubt it's something I'll pursue.

9. Bob58

Bob58 Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I have been thinking of trying it on cast bullets in my .45/70 Contender barrel, my mold casts them slightly undersize and I can get some leading. Powder coating can add a couple thousandths to the bullet diameter.

10. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    A couple guys on other sites whose opinions I respect have nothing but praise for it. Their results have been, if not impressive, certainly very interesting.

11. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Is there a special powder for bullet coating used in this process? I'm only familiar with powder coating as a finish for automotive/motorcycle parts.

12. vonfatman

vonfatman Member

Dec 31, 2006
    like mr. mule,
    if and when i try them, i'd buy not do it myself. for additional few dollars you save a big on-going mess....but that's just me.

next week, 38 super dies arrive!

bob

13. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    421, I looked around a little but without digging through a bunch of threads I couldn't find anything specific. Whatever it is it is obviously readily available and can't be very expensive.

14. Bob58

Bob58 Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I don't think it's anything special, some colors seem to work better than others.

15. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Lots of info on Cast Boolits website. Looks like most are getting the powder from Harbor Freight, or maybe that's just the cheapest. There's a variety of colors available.

16. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Don't use the black from HF. Very abrasive. Have played with it some. Certainly not rocket science. Lots of you tube videos out there. Lots of powder coat companies out there. HF is a good option if you want to get your feet wet.

sharps4590 likes this.