Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lunch break commander
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dove hunting was washed out so I took the kids driving around some of my old stomping grounds and was pleased to see a bunch of poults. Seen one good bunch with about 25 turkeys and it looked like 15 or more of them were young birds. Seen another group of about 12 and it looked like half were poults.

Reactions: jsr

·
Registered
46 Posts
That’s great to hear! Out checking cameras for bear season and came across these. There were about 8-9 additional poults off camera. Merriams in central Az. I’ve had a camera on my food plot in Stone County for over a month and no turkeys there yet.
The plot just got cleared about two months
ago so hopefully they find it soon.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I saw 2 hens with at least a dozen poults today working up at the farm! I love it when a good wildlife management plan using all tools available shows results!

Who needs snippets when the proof is on the ground. :LOL:

Reactions: SMPtrucking

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Last weekend I saw three hens with at least 6 banty sized poults.
Today driving back about 2 miles from the farm I saw 7 hens loafing in a pasture not a poult to be seen. Hatches are spotty but seeing any poults at all is a good thing!

·
Vendor
576 Posts
Last weekend I saw three hens with at least 6 banty sized poults.
Today driving back about 2 miles from the farm I saw 7 hens loafing in a pasture not a poult to be seen. Hatches are spotty but seeing any poults at all is a good thing!
Hard to tell poults and hens sometimes at this point. Thats why MDC doesnt add sightings of more than 1 hen with poults to the survey in August.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Hard to tell poults and hens sometimes at this point. Thats why MDC doesnt add sightings of more than 1 hen with poults to the survey in August.
That could be for sure. Like I said, the weekend before I saw hens with poults and they were a lot smaller… late hatch on them?

·
Vendor
576 Posts
That could be for sure. Like I said, the weekend before I saw hens with poults and they were a lot smaller… late hatch on them?
Probably. When they hatch over a possible 2.5 month period they can be all over the board. Grandpa shot a fall bird one year that I swear was maybe guinea hen sized, in October

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
I have yet to see poults on our place but I have seen them close by.

That whole area used to be lousy with turkeys and not that long ago. Bad hatches

1 - 13 of 13 Posts