Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
No need to apologize. I have plenty of turkeys around. I only have 73 acres now, they come and go in my place. But it is nice to see a hen with 9 poults passing through the clover and then hear a bobwhite whistle in the background. I even enjoy a raccoon waddling by from time to time. I appreciate all I have.
A lot of the poor feel the same way.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
A lot of the poor feel the same way.
Sorry you feel like you are poor. You seem to have a lot going well for you.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Sorry you feel like you are poor. You seem to have a lot going well for you.
I'm not. I'm just glad you have a good attitude about your low turkey numbers and seeing a waddling raccoon once in awhile. You're obviously a glass half full kinda guy.

·
Under appreciated
88,060 Posts
You think you can tell by that picture what kind of forest and edge cover that field has? I invite you to come down anytime and have a look.
He has diagnosed habitat for people before without even seeing pictures. He doesnt need to visit, he already knows your farm.

Reactions: killmode and Hawk

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I'm not. I'm just glad you have a good attitude about your low turkey numbers and seeing a waddling raccoon once in awhile. You're obviously a glass half full kinda guy.
Henry only owns 9 more acres than you and hes like twice your age. Dont let him try to act like hes some bigtimer

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
4 gobblers
4 hens
0 poults
7-11-21
Lawrence County

8 poults seen this Summer.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Going to say I guess it isn’t the weather afterall, but let wait and see what the ratio actually is
I got a bunch of pictures again this week. Thats very promising coming off a 2 week period with over 14" of rain.

Don't forget that part of what makes wet weather hard on the hatch is making predators noses more efficient. Fewer nest predators are less efficient than a lot. 👍

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I got a bunch of pictures again this week. Thats very promising coming off a 2 week period with over 14" of rain.

Don't forget that part of what makes wet weather hard on the hatch is making predators noses more efficient. Fewer nest predators are less efficient than a lot.
You built the habitat they needed, which you neglected to do for years.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Going to say I guess it isn’t the weather afterall, but let wait and see what the ratio actually is
Every year someone is going to occasionally see some large broods of turkeys. We talk to a lot of hunters in the shop and we oftentimes hear some good reports, but more often we hear people say they've seen several hens but no poults. Ultimately you start thinking it's possible the hatch might come in a little better, and then when the final numbers come out it ends up being poor again. I wouldn't bet any money on the final result.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
We are seeing large broods and small broods both. Those heavy rains took a toll on broods that hatched during them. On the up side around half the hens we are seeing on our place have poults.

·
Under appreciated
88,060 Posts
Do you have a wood burning stove, if not that is the issue!
This still is hilarious. 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Reactions: killmode

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Just saw a hen with 8 yellow fuzzy poults. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Reactions: Gamegetter

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Every year someone is going to occasionally see some large broods of turkeys. We talk to a lot of hunters in the shop and we oftentimes hear some good reports, but more often we hear people say they've seen several hens but no poults. Ultimately you start thinking it's possible the hatch might come in a little better, and then when the final numbers come out it ends up being poor again. I wouldn't bet any money on the final result.
Agree 100%.

I’ve now actually seen a couple hens with 1-3 poults this year which is a “improvement” from the last 3 years without seeing a single one. But really tough to have a decent PHR when you see a couple groups of 5-8 hens that are poult-less.

For the state, PHR is gonna be no better than 1:1 in my opinion. Probably less in several areas.

It does make me smile knowing that the few c o o ns and possums i trapped this winter never had the chance to eat a turkey egg and the few poults I have seen is a direct result of that. Henry is presenting
“Real World” proof that habitat improvements and trapping is a huge positive even with really bad weather. Gonna keep ramping up my fur bearer efforts next winter. Will smile ear to ear every time I put .22 long in the back of ones head.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
My cams only had cards in them for 4 days this week.
20210717_163126.jpg
20210717_163011.jpg

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I saw what i am sure is the same grouo of poults i saw a fee weeks back. They were closer to the road this time, but instead of 3 hens amd 8 poults this time i counted 3 hens and 12 poults. They had grown consistent with where they should be and werein the same field where i saw theother group. That puts me at 7 hens, 12 poults and 4 Toms for July.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts