Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Why. Is this a quail thread ? Am I trying yo have quail ?
I guess if trapping under current regs is working we dont need to expand trapping seasons.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Why. Is this a quail thread ? Am I trying yo have quail ?
Just figured with all your work for ground nesting birds, predator control, and being in North Mo you would have lots of quail.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Just figured with all your work for ground nesting birds, predator control, and being in North Mo you would have lots of quail.
No. Unfortunately I listened to guys like you and hawk and not killmode and others until it was too late. Quail were gone. I came to my senses before the same thing happened to the turkeys. Now the quail have a chance should they find their way back to the bottoms on my place.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
No. Unfortunately I listened to guys like you and hawk and not killmode and others until it was too late. Quail were gone. I came to my senses before the same thing happened to the turkeys. Now the quail have a chance should they find their way back to the bottoms on my place.
Thats odd... All we did was habitat work and have quail all over.

Seems the studies MDC have show the same thing...

Maybe Maconplc can explain it to you.
Screenshot_20210709-163532_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
A573854B-C35A-4CA5-B10C-A8F9AEC273AE.jpeg
A573854B-C35A-4CA5-B10C-A8F9AEC273AE.jpeg
3A3C3743-4D27-4165-984D-6A1DA34E8B57.jpeg

For those submitting numbers to MDC for everyone else’s observations(which is totally wrong) 9 hens this morning in Jefferson County with zero poults.
For Hawk since his new favorite snippet to post is the writing of the Macon PLC, I was told last year by our PLC that our farm is a 9 out of 10 for quality turkey habitat. The decline is not a habitat issue on this place.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
View attachment 221778 View attachment 221778 View attachment 221779
For those submitting numbers to MDC for everyone else’s observations(which is totally wrong) 9 hens this morning in Jefferson County with zero poults.
For Hawk since his new favorite snippet to post is the writing of the Macon PLC, I was told last year by our PLC that our farm is a 9 out of 10 for quality turkey habitat. The decline is not a habitat issue on this place.
9 out of 10 doesnt mean it provides good nesting and brood habitat.

How many did you guys hit cutting hay?

What type of grass is that?

Reactions: Str8 Killn

·
Registered
328 Posts
9 out of 10 doesnt mean it provides good nesting and brood habitat.

How many did you guys hit cutting hay?

What type of grass is that?
We specifically manage for nesting and brood habitat but good try man.
We held off our first hay cutting as long as we could like we do every year, this year we were able to hold off until June 18th on the first fields. On the approximately 400 acres of hay that we have cut we have only found one nest that had only 6 eggs in it. The field in these pictures is predominately alfalfa, clover, and orchard grass. We have all kinds of diversity in our hayfields, they are constantly full of turkeys and deer.
keep grasping for straws though, keep telling me you know the habitat and the turkey dynamics here better here than I do, it’s entertaining.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
We held off our first hay cutting as long as we could like we do every year, this year we were able to hold off until June 18th on the first fields. On the approximately 400 acres of hay that we have cut we have only found one nest that had only 6 eggs in it. The field in these pictures is predominately alfalfa, clover, and orchard grass. We have all kinds of diversity in our hayfields, they are constantly full of turkeys and deer.
keep grasping for straws though, keep telling me you know the habitat and the turkey dynamics here better here than I do, it’s entertaining.

Its a recurring theme. He has a dirty crystal ball. Lol

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
If they are constantly full of turkeys and deer you dont have a production issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If they are constantly full of turkeys and deer you dont have a production issue.
If I’ve seen hens nearly every day this spring and not a single poult you’re telling me there isn’t a reproduction issue? Real genius. Even in a severe decline we will always have turkeys here because we have the best habitat around, that doesn’t mean that we are having good reproduction. The 50 plus hens I’ve seen since June 1 without a single poult tell the story, you know science and stuff.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Sorry you don’t have any quail. They are fun to have around.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
If I’ve seen hens nearly every day this spring and not a single poult you’re telling me there isn’t a reproduction issue? Real genius. Even in a severe decline we will always have turkeys here because we have the best habitat around, that doesn’t mean that we are having good reproduction. The 50 plus hens I’ve seen since June 1 without a single poult tell the story, you know science and stuff.
Yes, thats what Im telling you.

If you have a production issue where did all the turkeys you are seeing come from?

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Btw, your pictures show a canopied forest and fields with no edge feathering or escape cover. You need a better PLC.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
So are blue birds. Sorry you don't have enough turkeys.
No need to apologize. I have plenty of turkeys around. I only have 73 acres now, they come and go in my place. But it is nice to see a hen with 9 poults passing through the clover and then hear a bobwhite whistle in the background. I even enjoy a raccoon waddling by from time to time. I appreciate all I have.

Reactions: Hawk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes, thats what Im telling you.

If you have a production issue where did all the turkeys you are seeing come from?
Surely a biologist like yourself would know that turkeys have a huge range, they spend the majority of their time in the best habitat for the time of the year, but surely you know that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Btw, your pictures show a canopied forest and fields with no edge feathering or escape cover. You need a better PLC.
You think you can tell by that picture what kind of forest and edge cover that field has? I invite you to come down anytime and have a look.

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
Surely a biologist like yourself would know that turkeys have a huge range, they spend the majority of their time in the best habitat for the time of the year, but surely you know that.
Oh. So you should have 250 instead of 50??

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
You think you can tell by that picture what kind of forest and edge cover that field has? I invite you to come down anytime and have a look.
Its your picture.... I see no edge feathering and a closed canopy. If thats not what you have get a better picture.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts