possible my best bow hunt ever

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by riverbottomhunter, Oct 28, 2010.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    With the full moon and strong winds I hadn't crawled into the stand for just over a week so figured I had better get back after it tonight.

Got to the woods around 4:30 tonight. Only had about a 70 yard walk to the stand I was going to hunt, but as soon as I stepped into the woods I jumped a buck up. Didn't get a great look at him, but pretty sure he was a shooter. Got to my stand, attached my bow to the string and started up the stand. Got half way up and jumped a small 8 pt up that had been bedded about 30 yards from the stand. Figured this isn't a good sign busting 2 bucks and I wasn't even in the stand yet.

About 5:15 I see a deer moving about 150 yards away in the timber. Put the bino's on him and see he is a BIG buck. I think he was one i got some pics of, but not for sure. I grunted, tried rattling and everything else I could think of, but he kept walking the other way.

About 5:40 I spot a doe moving about 100 yards away. Notice something behind her and there is a wide 8pt following her. Guessing he was between 18 and 20" wide. Once again, tried grunting and can calling but he wasn't about to leave the doe.

About 6:00 I hear deer running in a thicket behind me. Finally they ran through an opening and into a hickory grove in front of me. One doe, a small buck and a big 10pt. 10pt chased that small buck all over the place till he finally left. I gave him a grunt and he got fighting mad, but once again wouldn't leave the does side. Closest he got to me was about 60 yards.

Then to top it off, right before dark I hear deer running again. Then 2 small bucks ( 4 & 6 pt) run into my food plot about 70 yards away and started fighting.

It finally got dark and I snuck out of the woods.

All of these bucks were within 75 yards of my rifle stand so hopefully they stick around.

2. ImADoeBuster

ImADoeBuster New Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Jefferson City
    Thats an awesome hunt for sure as it isnt just about killing just being out there makes it worth it and then when we see things like that its just icing on the cake

3. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    he is a pic of the 10pt that was following the doe

[file]143767[/file]

4. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    Can't wait to get in a stand tomorrow.:cheers:

5. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Im not 100% sure, but i think this was the first big one I saw. Just got a quick look at him, but he was a stud

[file]143771[/file]

6. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1868688&tid=130084&author=hun10]Can't wait to get in a stand tomorrow.:cheers:[/rquote]

Me too. I am off work tomorrow, but got to get our duck blind ready. I will either have time for a morning hunt or an evening hunt. Haven't decides which to try, but I am leaning towards an evening hunt.

7. BustinBucks

BustinBucks I will use the report button

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
  8. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Sounds like an awesome hunt. It's gonna just keep getting better for the next 2 weeks.:claphands:

Jenny & I both had good action tonight as well. Unfortunately, she misjudged the yardage on her action.:whinging: She said he was bigger than her bowkill last year.

9. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    JB, Keep the post like these coming, Nice to hear they are still around! Good Luck when you go out again. :cheers:

10. BMoeller

BMoeller Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Awesome!! I'm gonna try to get my butt up a tree in the morning. Haven't been able to go for two weeks and I'm going freakin' nuts.

11. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
  12. rmr

rmr New Member

run some of them up north Josh, I saw one small buck tonight, think going to start hunting the plots.

13. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Got to love this time of the year

14. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

Now that is the kind of action I've been waiting to hear about!!!! I was already pumped for this weekend, but after reading your post....I AM REALLLLLLLYYYYY PUMPED!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a fantastic hunt!

:cheers:

15. Fur and Feathers

Fur and Feathers New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Parkville, mo
    wow. great hunt. good luck bagging one of those bucks. :D

16. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Sounds like a fun hunt Josh. :eek:: :claphands:

17. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :trophy: Man! That sounds like a great time! You ought to get a Primos Buck Roar and give it a try next time around. :D

Parker

18. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1868873&tid=130084&author=rmr]run some of them up north Josh, I saw one small buck tonight, think going to start hunting the plots.[/rquote]

actually each time they stopped to eat, it was on acorns. were picking them over my ww plot and a combined corn field right beside me.

19. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1869082&tid=130084&author=Parker]:trophy: Man! That sounds like a great time! You ought to get a Primos Buck Roar and give it a try next time around. :D

Parker[/rquote]

The first 2 big bucks didnt pay a bit of attention to my grunts, but that 10 pt sure did and he was mad about it.