Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
5,631 Posts
Although I personally wouldn't pay the premium price, Double Bull makes some GREAT blinds. But their Matrix costs $400! OUCH

·
just a no body
15,867 Posts
the only thing i dont like about blinds is it limits the scoot & shoot.

since i'm not privy to any place to call my own to hunt & I haul my decoys wherever I go.. its just too much hassle.

My girlfriends brother got one on sale stupid cheap at wally world ..it aint nothn fancy but it works.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I wish I could remember which one I baught. I want to say it is something like ameristar or ameristep or something along those lines. It is huge. Plenty of room to draw a bow back and enough room for 2 hunters. I blasted my turkey this year out of it while setting in one of those lounge chairs with a foot rest up (really roughed it that morning). Best of all it only cost $70. When I go home tonight I will look to see what it is actually called.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I used the the ameristep doghouse and penthouse exclusively to teach my boys how to hunt for deer and turkey with bows and rifles. It was a great tool for that. On the other, I left them out year-round and after two year they are discolored (red) and have holes in 'em. I can still use the frames to build blinds. If you get the ameristep, don't leave them out. I mostly used them as permanent blinds and wind shields but they really aren't made for that.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I have a ameristep doghouse blind.To me its just too much trouble packing everything out in the woods.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin just sets in a knot hole.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
I wish I could remember which one I baught. I want to say it is something like ameristar or ameristep or something along those lines. It is huge. Plenty of room to draw a bow back and enough room for 2 hunters. I blasted my turkey this year out of it while setting in one of those lounge chairs with a foot rest up (really roughed it that morning). Best of all it only cost $70. When I go home tonight I will look to see what it is actually called.
I looked at mine this weekend and I was wrong. Mine is a Yukon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really like the Ameristep Doghouse, too, as others have mentioned. They're great blinds as far as I'm concerned. Even 2 people can get in there comfortably if you use stools instead of chairs.

Another thing you might consider that is a little more convenient. Get 4 discarded aluminum arrows with field points, and a 2x6 piece of canvas. Attach the arrows evenly spaced with zip ties, to the canvas as stakes.

Put your back to a tree or brush pile, and place the little blind in front of you. Makes for a great concealment, and can be rolled up while in transit.

I either put mine in my turkey vest decoy pouch or carry it. The canvas and arrows should last a long time. The blind will even withstand leaving it set up at your favorite hunting spot year-round, if you choose.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
The only probem I have with blinds is the blind spots when inside. Sometimes this drives me nuts.

Jack

·
5,631 Posts
Originally posted by JackJr
The only probem I have with blinds is the blind spots when inside. Sometimes this drives me nuts.

Jack
That's why those DB Matrix 360s are all the rage right now. There are no blind spots. But again, I ain't spending $400!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hunted out of the double bull matrix if iit is the one with the 360 degree view and it is adjustable up and sown, and cn slose any side or front or back. It is the blind I would pay 500 for . Very user friendly and quiet

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire

Jack
That's why those DB Matrix 360s are all the rage right now. There are no blind spots. But again, I ain't spending $400!
YEAH! :hysterical: Problem solved! Jack, I don't like blinds for the same reason. I feel like I'm watching TV, not taking in the whole hunt, the whole surroundings of the experience. I SURE could get used to it if someone would drop one of these 360's off at my house tough!

Parker

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Originally posted by jmmcguire

Jack
YEAH! :hysterical: Problem solved! Jack, I don't like blinds for the same reason. I feel like I'm watching TV, not taking in the whole hunt, the whole surroundings of the experience. I SURE could get used to it if someone would drop one of these 360's off at my house tough!

Parker
Exactly why I don't use mine anymore....while shotgun hunting....If I were to bowhunt em, would be a different story....I am saving my pennies to buy a DB Matrix, just fo dat reason!!! And when that happens, I'll be sellin my ElCheapo Ameristep Penthouse Floppin in da wind blind!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am going to bite the bullet and get a Double Bull Matrix 360 this fall. My boys are getting old enough to go with me now and I want to make sure we have a quality blind that will be reliable. I also love the no blind spot feature with the Matrix 360. I am soo tired of ordering new poles and sewing my Ameristep up. I have the Ameristep Brickhouse and it was great at first but the second season it quickly went downhill. Poles were breaking everywhere and the hardware started ripping through the cloth. I have found out what I already knew. You get what you pay for! BTW I have a buddy that has a 7 year old Double Bull and not one problem. He also almost uses it exclusively, as he fell from a tree and has hip problems.

I am trying to decide whether to get the standard or the recurve model. I would be able to stand up in the recurve model and it is $40 more than the standard. I am calling today to see how much more the recurve model weighs. I plan on ordering it from onesourcedistributors.com and the standard is $399 with free shipping and the recurve model is $439. The standard is 67" tall and the recurve is 74". I am almost 6'2" and I know that it is only 74" in the center but I think it would be more comfortable, when hunting all day.

Do you guys think I should go with the standard or the recurve model?

My thoughts are what is $40, when you are spending $400. I am almost saving that much by not having to pay sales tax.

·
5,631 Posts
4.225% + local tax unless you buy online from a company out of state. But if you order from Bass Pro you'll have to pay tax cause it's HQ is in Springfield.

But I'm in motor vehicles so I couldn't care less if you paid it on anything but a vehicle or trailer!

·
5,631 Posts
I dont' get a lot of money. But I make sure the state does!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.