Pop Up Ground Blinds

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by bovinahunter, Apr 28, 2006.

1. bovinahunter

bovinahunter New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Are turkeys skittish when around a ground blind? I have never hunted out of one, but I know deer spook easily when they see a ground blind. Can you just set it up in a field?

2. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I've seen turkeys walk right by them and never even look at them.

3. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    I've never used one turkey hunting, but from what I've seen and heard, you can throw 'em up anywhere and it doesn't seem to bother the birds. Wish I could speak from first hand experience.

4. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    These weren't. I was bowhunting and the gobbler wouldn't come closer than 50 yards, but the hens flew down into my decoys and pecked around for a half hour before moving farther into the field. Sorry the photo is blurry. It was shot through the mesh.

[​IMG]

I don't put my decoys out much farther than 10 yards.

[​IMG]

5. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    As others have said, does not seem to bother them at all. I use them also.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    USE the ground blind if you're working with hunters that move too much. Turkeys will walk right up to it, just as long as they didn't see you set it up from their roost tree.

The turkeys are only scared of movement. Don't use a blind when there's a lot of wind.

:cheers:

Parker

7. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    So deer get spooky around them? I havent ever used one but I am thinking of getting one to bowhunt out of this fall on public ground. I dont like the idea of having to pack a climbing stand in and out everytime and I'm not going to leave one of my stands out there for somebody to steal so i though maybe getting a popup ground blind might be the answer since it would be a lot lighter and I'd rather hunt from the ground anyway. But, if the deer get real spooky around them, I dont know now.

8. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Monday morning was the first time I have ever used one while turkey hunting and it worked great. Had birds all around me. I didn't think they would work that well, but I am a believer now.

9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    You should brush in a popup blind if you are hunting deer. This isn't necessary for hunting turkey.

10. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    the summit viper is the best invention ever for deer hunting!!! i have hunted out of ground blinds and the deer werent that spookish but they always kept an eye on it and they never did get close enough for a bow shot. the forest is a deer backyard they notice any change. even a fallen tree. so a ground blind sticks out like a sore thumb. if you do hunt out of one lean fallen or cut branches against it to break up the blind patten. from my experience the wariest ones to get real spookish from ground blinds are yotes. eveytime i seen a yote while i was in a ground blind he always circled around and never took his eye off my blind. if im not stalking deer im up 20+ feet in my treestand.