Pop Up Blinds...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by cgebhard, Mar 27, 2006.

1. cgebhard

cgebhard Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Hi,

I bought an Ameristep pop-up blind after deer season on clearance. As I get older tree stands aren't as comfortable or as easy to get up in anymore for deer season.

Does anyone use a blind for turkey season?? Do you think it would spook the birds?

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm a rook turkey hunter and I am relying on the ground blind this year.. as long as I can put a nice one to bed the night be4 and get a primo flydown setup. Ifn you have turks in front of you, they'll not pay a bit of attention to your tent, in most cases... from what I hear.

Good luck and welcome!

3. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I see alot of advantages with popups for bowhunting turkeys, but it will make you ALOT less mobile if you are gunhunting...I tried my Ameristep a few times, and found it a waste of time, and labor packing it in and out....I just rely on good camo, a bit of cover, and shade if I can, and I leave the blind at home.

4. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    i got one that I plan on using this year. I'm planin on stickin one with my bow so I figure thats the easist way plus my son wants to go and that wil cover almost all the movement a 7 yr old can make.

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    They will make you a LOT less mobile, but they will hide your movement a TON, and movement is absolutely what turks key in on.

Just as long as they don't see you set the blind up from their roost, they'll walk up to your decoys with your blind in the middle of a cut beanfield. No need to brush the blind in unless there are a lot of deer in the area, cause they'll blow and spook.

Blinds are worth a WHOLE lot more turkey hunting than deer hunting. (not that they're bad for deer hunting....)

Parker

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Less mobile for sure fireman.. But, I would like to stick one and I am sure that being in the tent will allow me to draw, make movements, ect better than you pros. I want that 2X multiplier for the turk contest here!! lol

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Oh yea, no doubt in my mind, if I was bowhuntin em, I'd use the blind...and like someone said above...great for hidin kids in, my daughter has been in mine several times! Irreplaceable tool for the bowhuntin turkeys!!!!

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm loaning mine to my bro-inlaw and he's taking his little guy on the 8th. We'll have a blast and do some worthwile scouting to boot! I hope Zach kills a good'n.

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Yea, no doubt....I found out yesterday, that my daughter has a bball tourney the weekend of the yutehunt....gonna have to tell that coach to check my schedule...lol. But she'll be able to hunt a couple of hrs a day at least...this will be her last yute hunt!!!

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Hope ya'll bang a good'n!

BTW... talked to r2 tonight and we are planning opening weekend at armstrong. Hope you can make it!

11. MTRaised

MTRaised New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Grain Valley
    Blind will not bother them. My only suggestion is to put it up the day before while they are out of the field or where ever you plan to use it. The noise of walking in and set up in the morning will have them flying opposite way from roost.

I had mine in the middle of a bean filed last year and had hens come right up to the blind.

12. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    The blinds work just fine. I'm not as mobile as I used to be but if you know your area well find a struting area and set up. Do some "blind" calling and wait. They will eventually come. I kill most of my turkeys after 10 am. They are usually done with their first batch of hens but still come looking .

13. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I love them for turkey especially. :wave:

14. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    i like them alot for first thng in the morning and later in the day to.i try to have a couple out in different places for nothing else they arwe great to hide out in while it is raining