Pop up advertisements

Discussion in 'From the Admin & Staff' started by Keef, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I know that's how the site makes money, but is there a way to remove them? If not, I can live with it.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Check your mail inbox at the top of the page. I sent you a message.

3. MWAdmin

MWAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Oct 11, 2013
    We don't do pop up ads here. We sometimes will do a newsletter modal...but that is for guests only.

4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I think Keef is talking about the ads that appear and not specifically pop ups and for $9.95 a year those can go away.

MWAdmin likes this.
  5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    You're right MM. Thanks for the info.

6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The moment I clicked on this thread, Ad Blocker Plus blocked 20 ads.... :wave1:

mwtABP.jpg

7. MOAdmin

MOAdmin Administrator

Dec 14, 2015
    There's no way. I'm showing four and I run full ads.

8. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Download adblocker or ublock. I don't see any ads. Ublock shows 3 ads blocked on this page.

9. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Adblocker and that did it.

10. MOAdmin

MOAdmin Administrator

Dec 14, 2015
    For the record ad blocker and things like it kill the site. MWT isn't free. There are costs associated with keeping it online and those cost are covered by ads.

I ask you reconsider your use of ad blocker and join our supporting member program to help keep this place alive.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/account/upgrades

11. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Good point Austin, will do.

12. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    My LG tablet was having problems with the site last night but iPhone didn't. Kept crashing on me every few minutes. It had the same exact problem a couple months ago before I disabled ads. Now that ads are back so are my problems. It's almost as if the site loads then as soon as a certain ad loads it crashes on me. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

13. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Serious question about this. Do the sponsors know if their ads are being blocked? or does the site make less money from them if the ads are blocked? I am under the assumption that the general site traffic and number of active members are what attracts sponsers to the site, not the actual delivery of the ads. In all honesty, I have already adapted to completely ignoring the ads so i don't require a blocker, but in reality, is there a noticable difference to the sponsor either way?

Mailman likes this.
  14. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I understand your point, but the majority of people who post on a forum, don't share your sentiment. Wanna drive the final nail in with the locals, force them to pay to use your site. I know I for one, will not pay to keep this site alive. You're selling advertisement to corporations to pay the bills. Membership participation, is what makes this site attractive to corporate sponsors. Loose membership participation, you loose your attractiveness to advertising dollars.

Sully, callaojoe and Wings Fan 19 like this.
  15. MOAdmin

MOAdmin Administrator

Dec 14, 2015
    When you block the ad we don't get paid. Google doesn't serve it, so it says nope, and we as the small business suffer.

Is that what you're asking me? Advertisers with Google buy impressions for the most part and google serves their campaign till it's complete be it here or on any other site based on the criteria that business selects. Google wins every time.

16. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    So you get paid a little bit every time an ad is on the screen, but then you make a better chunk if someone clicks the ad, correct? And maybe more if they buy something from that ad?

17. MOAdmin

MOAdmin Administrator

Dec 14, 2015
    Slow down there. If we wanted to put it up behind a paywall we would have done it. I'm merely suggesting an alternative that doesn't want to pay for their time on site with ads but also don't want to see the site suffer, which it will if we can't collect revenue. There's no such thing as a free lunch and as I've already said everything cost money. The way I see it is you can either be part of the demise of the site, or you can keep it alive, but Carbon Media keeps that choice yours. There are plenty of programs that block people's access who use ad blockers yet we use none of those. We're not the big bad guys you think we are, we're just a small business trying to stay afloat and we need the membership to do it.

Oh, and although participation helps, the majority of our traffic comes from, are you ready for this? Google. And what are they looking at? What's already been posted. New members help, and I'm here to help the community grow and flourish because believe it or not I want what's best for MWT and have for a very long time, but don't think you know what keeps us afloat and attracts advertisers. I've been doing this a very long time. I know what I'm talking about. If you have any questions on how internet advertising works please let me know, I'm happy to answer it, but I know far more than you. It would behoove you to listen and learn instead of assuming you know how this very complicated system works. I don't even know it all and I've been doing this for over a decade. I've run million dollar businesses. Yet for some reason, I keep coming back to being a community admin. Must say something about what I like to do huh?

18. MOAdmin

MOAdmin Administrator

Dec 14, 2015
    We get paid for the impression, if someone clicks the ad, and if someone buys something. Yes, that is correct. That's the reason for the tracking cookies. We're not looking to data mine, which is pretty evil, if you don't know what it is, ask and I'll explain, we're just looking to maximize profits from the ads we have to show to keep this place alive.

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I dont see any ads... are people who modified settings to exclude ads on the prior software somehow exempted from them now?

Maybe I shouldnt have said anything... maybe ads start popping up and I have to pay the piper.

20. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    I didn't used to get them but now I do. 2 on the right and one at the bottom. All relevant to websites I frequent.

rat likes this.