pond construction questions

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by JBMan, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. JBMan

    JBMan New Member

    Nov 16, 2004
    are there any cost share programs for the construction of a pond dam?:confused:

    just wondering cause im hopin to expand my little 1/4 acre pond into 5 or 6 acres...
  2. hunter7x

    hunter7x New Member

    Oct 22, 2002
    Can't speak for MO, but in Indiana they're pretty generous with it.

  3. BIG OL AL

    BIG OL AL New Member

    Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I'm pretty sure there are cost share programs. I have a buddy who has had several ponds made and has expanded one. I do not know the details except that he mentioned he had goverment help. When I talk to him next I will try and ask him. But by that time you probably will have gotten the answers you need. Good luck sounds like it will be a great pond!
  4. Snowman

    Snowman New Member

    Mar 8, 2005
    Here is the guy that was helpfull to me on pond questions in Morgan County. I would think he could get you to the right place for you.

    John Draffen
    E-mail Address(es):
  5. Hayzer

    Hayzer New Member

    Go to your local NRCS office or inquire with the MDC. They should be able to assist you.
  6. r2ahunter

    r2ahunter New Member

    Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
    You'll need to contact NRCS they are your federal soil management folks. It's been my past experience you'll need to get on a waiting list.(may take several years depends on the lenght of the list and $$$$ available) Your structure will need to be approved and have someone to layout the pond to their (gov) specs......once you do all the loops they will remiemburse you upto 75%. I had a pond built several years back and they will check to make sure you haven't done anything to the structure after its been built. ( I put a screen over the overflow pipe to prevent fish from exscaping....I had to change it to a terrace riser) hope this helps.
  7. deer-hunter

    deer-hunter New Member

    Apr 23, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Call the Missouri Department of Conservation, or go to their website and look under "landowner assistance programs". They also have helpful sections on the website or links to everything you want to know about ponds; building, stocking, vegetation, etc.:cheers:
  8. JB--Call your local nrcs for your county- I just got off the phone with our local nrcs office to set up an appointment to expand a pond on our property. I don't know if we'll get any financial help from them, but they seemed more then willing to come out and see what they could do.
  9. jason6517

    jason6517 New Member

    Nov 2, 2005
    Kansas City, Mo.
    I believe that the MDC on offers asssistance on new ponds and not existing ponds. I could be wrong though. I am on a waiting list for a pond and it is going to be 3 years!
  10. JBMan

    JBMan New Member

    Nov 16, 2004
    thanks everyone for your help! i hope i don't have to be on a long waiting list.:cheers::cheers:
  11. xxx

    xxx Guest

    Henry may have some insight on this subject. He was having one built oh his property this year and talked to me aobut it but I can not remember all the details.......... Keep after him.. :rotfl::rotfl: