Poison

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by oneshot 1, Jan 4, 2018.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok Texas decided to use poison on Feral Hogs, for a short time I was hearing Missouri was considering it then I heard no more.

Heard yesterday from a Guy that works for the Federal Government, so this is hearsay but he said Missouri tried Poison on a small area and found it was killing everything which they had the understanding it wasn't to do so they quit.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is ok.

2. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
    Hear say

Tuffke and Chew like this.

3. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

IDK about Missouri, but the folks down in Texas are not happy about it.

4. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    The agent I talked to back in November said that a type of poison had been mentioned and was being debated being used. It hadn’t been used yet where we were at. Currently diesel soaked corn was being used in hog traps as the bait. Even with the diesel flavored corn other animals such as deer, elk, and bear would still get into and eat the bait which is what they were trying to prevent. He said the biggest risk of poison would be killing a non targeted animal such as deer or worse would be killing an elk that they had spent so much time and money trying to get established.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I doubt we see poison used here unless they turn into a huge problem.

Woods likes this.
  6. Jjones semo

Jjones semo New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I thought they were a huge problem?

7. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Not really just what the MDC says. Think about how many have actually seen, hunted or have had damage from Hogs in the state.

Right now no it is not a problem but it will be no matter what the MDC says or does.

oneshot

:D Put the Big Grin on the trail.

8. Jjones semo

Jjones semo New Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I thought Henry had first hand experience with the pigs in semo and knows more than landowners in our part of the state

Hawk likes this.
  9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
  10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    prophylactics

Heard some liberal suggested them.

11. henry

12. henry

No. I just take the word of the USDA, MDA, hog producers, federal wildlife officials, almost all farmers organizations , all wildlife departments in states with feral hogs . I know it seems foolish I would listen to them instead of some guy on the internet who just declared himself the world's foremost expert on anything everywhere , but I'm a rebel. Lol

13. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

Just commenting so I can get well informed on hogs from Oneshot throughout this post....Continue....

Chew likes this.
  14. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I will say this about the hogs where I hunt. It took less than 7 years to go from no hogs to they are a huge problem. Even with MDC trapping their numbers are increasing enough we see it each year. Until a person gets to first hand witness just how destructive and fast they can multiple I don’t think you can actually understand how big the probelm can get or as fast. Like all animals I’m sure some areas are hog heaven and will hold large amounts of them while others won’t suite them and they never will establish a population.

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'm sure there are pockets where they are a huge problem but MO is no Tejas by any means when it comes to hogs. Not saying we wont get there someday.

16. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Are you talking about warfarin? I dont believe thats considered "poison", and wouldnt impact other species, just hogs. It seems like a good option.

17. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I agree they are a problem and shouldnt be here, I also agree with federal wildlife officials that having a long, open season on hogs causes problems like people releasing hogs. And again, I 100%agree with federal wildlife officials that allowing MO hunters to shoot hogs during firearms deer seasons WOULD NOT provide enough incentive to release hogs in Missouri. It may not lower the population much, but it wouldnt hurt since MO doesnt bait and trap on public ground during deer seasons to begin with.

18. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Agreed. Any feral hog is a problem hog, IMO.

19. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    They are a problem, I've examined some corn fields that have 60-75% damage. Damage is just the opposite of deer, hogs will often leave the outside rows and go to the middle and work out. They knock down and destroy more than they eat. They enter a field when corn is at milk stage and stay until harvest. Some of the farmers in my area especially next to Ft. Wood and Mark Twain National Forest are having significant problems. Groups up to 100 being seen. USDA/APHIS has just added another trapper to the staff in our area. USDA had good results and pretty much eliminated the hogs south of Lamar. But I'm concerned how effective they can be with the large wooded tracts in our area.

20. oneshot 1

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Hogs here were eradicated so this corn just fell down.

004-23.jpg

oneshot

:D Hey the Big Grin likes Corn. :popcorn: