po'd

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by DAWG, Nov 12, 2010.

1. DAWG

DAWG New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Marionville
    laying in bed last night watching Conan and hear two shots from a high powered rifle down by the lake right at 10:30...i can't stand people who think the rules don't apply to them :soapbox:

2. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    I'm more upset that you were listening to Conan.:D

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1893100&tid=131848&author=Hooks]I'm more upset that you were listening to Conan.:D[/rquote]
    It might have been the movie Conan.:D

4. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Maybe they was bottle rockets

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    He just didn't want to wait till the last minute to sight in his rifle.:D

6. Jeet

Jeet New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I call it "Hoosier's New Year's Eve". Idiots sighting in after dark with a shop light and a bud light.

7. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Sounds to me like you better get started then and get your deer before the poachers do :D

8. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Seems like that happens a lot, really get tired of it myself, and even after they catch em, they will pay their fine and be back at it next year

9. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1893160&tid=131848&author=fishshooter]Seems like that happens a lot, really get tired of it myself, and even after they catch em, they will pay their fine and be back at it next year [/rquote]

Cost of doin business. If our judges would only increase the cost, a lot of it would stop.:cheers:

10. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1893171&tid=131848&author=pinwheel][rquote=1893160&tid=131848&author=fishshooter]Seems like that happens a lot, really get tired of it myself, and even after they catch em, they will pay their fine and be back at it next year [/rquote]

Cost of doin business. If our judges would only increase the cost, a lot of it would stop.:cheers:[/rquote]

Agreed, I think we outta be able to introduce the cost of the plots, tsi, ect that go into trying to grow one, then set the price

11. MajorWyss

MajorWyss New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Audrain
    It's been going on around here a lot too, and gets worse every year. It's idiots like this who will be the ones that the libs will use as their example as they slowly jerk our rights away from us.

12. MidwestWhitetails

MidwestWhitetails New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, I have heard neighbors just about everytime I go out bowhunting shooting deer in the evening just before dark with a high powered rifle. They have a picnic bench set up and a pile of corn in a bean field and its known around my area. The MDC won't do a thing and I really don't worry about it anymore. Its gonna happen and there will be alot of deer killed illegally and so on. Nothing the MDC can really do since its so widespread. I'm expecting the neighbors to kill the big buck I'm after eventually once it gets cold enough that they need to go to grain to eat. I hope I can get him on the ground before then.

13. MidwestWhitetails

MidwestWhitetails New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I really hate poachers but I have given up on worrying about it.

14. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    [rquote=1893171&tid=131848&author=pinwheel][rquote=1893160&tid=131848&author=fishshooter]Seems like that happens a lot, really get tired of it myself, and even after they catch em, they will pay their fine and be back at it next year [/rquote]

Cost of doin business. If our judges would only increase the cost, a lot of it would stop.:cheers:[/rquote]

I don't disagree with the theory behind this, but people have to remember that maximum fine amounts are set by statute depending upon the classification of the offense committed. The judges can only legally set a person's fine so high.
    If this is the approach that is to be taken to deter people, it has to be changed with legislation, not the judges.
    If judges are fining less than the allowable amount then some attention needs to be given to the prosecutor who is making the offers to the offenders. Judges don't refuse many offers that are agreed upon between the prosecutor and the defendant. That is likely where the problem lies in a lot of cases. The prosecutor not taking it seriously.

15. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    At some point, MDC/legislature, whoever it is....

Needs to understand the value of a trophy whitetail, and place fines accordingly. If you stop and think about it, a nice 150-160" buck is worth about 3-4K these days.... So, when a poacher shoots one, they have stolen a 3-4K animal from the rest of us.

I am probably making this sound like I am a "trophy" big money hunter, but what I am trying to say... Is given what people spend on hunting, and the pursuit of nice deer.... The value of the animal has increased, so taking them illegally should get more of a fine. Other states have done this, and I think it would take some of the triviality of the crimes as they are seen today. Don't like the fine, don't do the crime.

No more different than someone stealing something from you that 30 years ago was worth $50, but is now worth $3000.....

Problem is, too many in this state still perceive it as "just a deer" no big deal...:shrug:

16. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

It is just a deer people...:scared:

17. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    some people have to make sure their night scopes are set to yah know:D

18. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    [rquote=1893425&tid=131848&author=coyotehunter]some people have to make sure their night scopes are set to yah know:D[/rquote]

You should practice your shots before taking them in the field you know. Even the spotlight shots... :whistle:

19. DAWG

DAWG New Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Marionville
    [rquote=1893420&tid=131848&author=curtism1234]It is just a deer people...:scared:[/rquote]

i'm not as upset about the killing of a deer as i am shooting a high powered rifle in the dark near my house!

20. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    [rquote=1893496&tid=131848&author=DAWG][rquote=1893420&tid=131848&author=curtism1234]It is just a deer people...:scared:[/rquote]

i'm not as upset about the killing of a deer as i am shooting a high powered rifle in the dark near my house![/rquote]

thats when i do a jonah hex imitation and strap my gattlin guns to my horse and fire in their general direction!:D:claphands::cheers: