Poast Plus...

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by PoisonSnake, May 26, 2009.

1. PoisonSnake

PoisonSnake Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    Will it pretty much kill all kinds of grasses in a clover plot? I've got a single patchy kind of grass that I cannot identify. Thick root systems and hard to cut. I want it gone. Clover looks fantastic otherwise.

2. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    If its a grass, it should work. If its a sedge, it won't. We've had pretty good success with Select (or Arrow).

3. PoisonSnake

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks. I hit it with Arrow last year but I don't think I had enough in my mixture. A buddy of mine gave me the last bit he had. So, I tried it. We've also got some Basagran for sedge. A friend of mine wanted that as well. I just wish I knew more about these grasses of which I speak. Like I said, if I took a picture of the plot, you would wonder why it is bothering me to have it in there. I just like the looks of a nice plot and am willing to go the extra bit to get it I guess. Funny thing, I don't even hunt over it.

4. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Anybody have any info on spraying Poast Plus on grass that has been mowed? I thought I read somewhere that its not as effective on mature grass as it is on seedlings, even though the mowed grass may be short. Any truth to this and if this is true is it pretty much a universal trait to grass/weed killers and their effectiveness.

5. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    PoisonSnake, remember this little ditty to determine sedge from grass: "Sedges have edges". Pull up a stem, and peel off the blades to get down to a bare stem. If the stem has edges, as in triangular shaped, it's sedge. Grass has a round or oval stem.

Jaytee, I sprayed Johnson Grass that was 5-6 feet tall and heading out with Poast Plus, and it died. It also works on mowed grass, because I mowed around my seedlings, and sprayed the regrowth. I'm not sure if it would work on fresh cut, because it might not make good leaf contact.

6. PoisonSnake

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks fellows. I appreciate the advice. I'm planning to take a picture of this stuff tonight. It has been mowed but just maybe one of you can figure it out. I've always called this stuff water grass. Not really like anything I have seen.

Like I said, I don't even hunt over this plot. If I showed you some of my game camera pictures from the last few years, you'd probably be wondering why though. Sometimes even I wonder. I guess I feel a bit guilty trying to kill my pets.

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Generally speaking on all herbicides, the more mature it is, the harder it is to kill. Once it starts heading out, it can be a booger.

For perennials, mowing, waiting a week or three, is always a great option if you don't get it when it just starts to green up. Annuals seem to be pretty easy to kill nearly all the time.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Read the label and add surfactant per the recommendations.
    Its important in this case.

9. PoisonSnake

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    I hear you. I plan to knock the piss out of this stuff this year. Last year, I believe my problem was that I had mostly surfactant and not enough herbicide. Also, as MD said, the grass was pretty mature when I tried to kill it. I may mow one more time before I hit it this year. I wish I could get it done this weekend but those cards aren't gonna play out it doesn't look like.

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    He's right... when a plant is in the middle of a reproductive cycle, control with herbicides can be very unpredictable.
    In the case of grasses, if you can top them and stimulate a vegetative flush you may get better control so long as you still get good contact.

11. PoisonSnake

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    Well then, as soon as things dry up would be the time to hit them right now. It is already regenerating growth. Too bad I can't get it sprayed right now. But, if I mow it down again and we get enough moisture, I may be able to whack it once and for all.