Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the attached photo.....would the setup be okay? The reason for that setup, is because I already have a 3/4" PVC underground, and running into the cabin. I'd rather avoid digging and installing another line, 1 1/4" if I can avoid it, but will do it if necessary?

[file]7796[/file]

·
Registered
481 Posts
im not captain plumber, but i would say that the 3/4" pipe will cause flow and pressure issues with the water heater, being that you have created a flow problem between the 1/1/4" and 2 inch. but it may work depending on the load you place on the hot water heater

ps. i'll consult w/ pa! he's perty good at plumbin

·
Registered
481 Posts
just got off the horn w/ pa, he said that you shouldn't notice any problems with that since the precharge tank will have a constant supply of water to pump into the water heater.

and after thinking about it, just make sure the pump solenoids are working so that pump doesn't run itself dry. it may take a little longer for the precharge tank to fill back up, but it will work according to his 30 somethin years of helpin buddies plumb houses backin it up

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell pa, thanks!! I know it's not the best thing, but it'll save me some time. Unless I get extra time, I'm may go ahead and put 1 1/4" in, if not, then I'll take pa's advice.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I wouldnt recommend it but i dont know the legth of said 3/4 inch line,a restriction is a restriction,yes it will work but in time it may cause you a headache later down the raod,I would put a flow switch in line to turn the pump off in case tank emptys or the 3/4 line gets fully restricted ,one day in the future you will be repiping this,maynot be for 5-10 years but sounds like a future problem,just my 2 cents

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pipe, is the flow switch electric, or non-electric to operate? and where in the line would I install it? I suppose my concern is if it does go dry, it would be nice to have something stop the system. But, I also plan to install a gauge on the tank in order to check the water level(s). I'd like to take the easy route, but I'm thinking I may have to intall the 1 1/4" from water tank to pump.

Another question: at the end of the hunting season (say Dec. 1st), I drain the system for winter. In the spring, when I recharge the system, and run the pump to re-charge the water system, it'll be running dry until the water is obtained and flushed through. Will this hurt the pump, or is it a givin, becuase that's what it purpose is? I suppose the main thing is that the pump is run dry all the time, correct?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
you can get one that is mechanical which breaks the hot leg of the pump usually installed in line before the pump,or you can get a float style in the tank and when the tank gets low it opens ,similar to a sump pump style switch

depending style of pump, you should never let it run dry,the seals will eventually dry out and leak,allways prime manually for best care unless pump is a self priming pump,remember a pump that runs dry for a long period of time gets hot and the heat travels through your shaft which causes seal failure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.