plot question for dom bucks

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by devoted, May 22, 2009.

1. devoted

devoted Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Clover Bottom MO
    My food plot has been in for 2 years. I spruced it up by making it bigger and lime +triple12 after checking the acidity and added several other forage vegitation. It is a decent spot with bucks on cam in velvet recently, and active salt block. What else can i do now to draw in bucks during the fall bow season? Any suggestions? It is a small plot in the woods. The soil is rocky but somehow i got the plot to take off. It was mostly cedar and oaks and i spent much time clearing it several years ago by chainsaw and burning.

2. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    What kind of plants do you have in the plot? How big is the plot?

3. cowboy

cowboy Active Member

if you want mature bucks there in the fall the i would try and attract the does and not shoot anything but a buck off of it. Make as little disturbance in and around it as you can so that the bucks feel safe there. If you know they are there now then they will still be in the area this fall. It sounds like you have the food for them so the next step is strategy. IMO. Good luck!:cheers:

4. devoted

devoted Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Clover Bottom MO
    Thanks for the advice JNH. I do like venison and i always shoot a couple of does. Maybe that is my problem. I will keep this spot as undisturbed as possible and will try and fill my freezer from another stand. It is hard not to pull the release sometimes but i need to learn patience.