Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a fellar had some good fields that would be pretty productive food plots, yet were right next to the gravel roads would it be a bad idea to plant popular food sources so close to road hunting danger?

what say you?

i got a couple ideas but am afraid the road traffic and some late season doe groups in a field eating would be in danger
 

·
Baller, shot caller
Joined
·
11,063 Posts
Depends on how much poaching pressure you have. I know I sure wouldn't do it around here. My theory is why tempt people?
 

·
White Board Man
Joined
·
14,380 Posts
Originally posted by cummins5.9
Depends on how much poaching pressure you have. I know I sure wouldn't do it around here. My theory is why tempt people?
ditto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i hate to see the best soil go to waste.....well not waste but you know what i mean....

guess some cedars along the edge of road with tall switch grass would be ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,089 Posts
Negatory, I say. Never a good idea to put a plot next to a road or even a fence line if it can be avoided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by HabitatMD
Negatory, I say. Never a good idea to put a plot next to a road or even a fence line if it can be avoided.
should i just let the field grow up natural or should i even attempt to plant something
 

·
Confirmed Bachelor
Joined
·
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by ryanlowe02
Originally posted by HabitatMD
Negatory, I say. Never a good idea to put a plot next to a road or even a fence line if it can be avoided.
should i just let the field grow up natural or should i even attempt to plant something
If you're talking anywhere over on the east side from where we came in I wouldn't plant over there. I'd try to work up some "strip" plots way back in there. Just my .02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Heeler75
Originally posted by ryanlowe02
Originally posted by HabitatMD
Negatory, I say. Never a good idea to put a plot next to a road or even a fence line if it can be avoided.
should i just let the field grow up natural or should i even attempt to plant something
If you're talking anywhere over on the east side from where we came in I wouldn't plant over there. I'd try to work up some "strip" plots way back in there. Just my .02.
yeah thats the plan, but i was thinking alot about the fields on the north end
 

·
Confirmed Bachelor
Joined
·
10,482 Posts
10-4... I'm following you. I think you'd be better off doing the plots back in the thick stuff. Like I said, my .02 since it's not my $$$ going into it and the rewards there-of.:wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Heeler75
10-4... I'm following you. I think you'd be better off doing the plots back in the thick stuff. Like I said, my .02 since it's not my $$$ going into it and the rewards there-of.:wave:
oh those spots will have it too.......:peepwall:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
I agree w/ the statement that roadways and fencelines are never good ideas for food plots. I try to keep all of my food plots centrally located on our properties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
Another thought.....I have a friend in northern MO I hunt w/ occassionally and he planted pines and cedars as well as CRP as a buffer between the roadway and his plots against the woods. It worked awesome for him but is sort of an investment so to speak but has paid off big for him.

He always had deer frequent the field but seldom ever during daylight hrs. Now w/ the cover from the road not only are the wildlife protected but feel comfortable enough to visit during daylight hrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by alwyshntn
Another thought.....I have a friend in northern MO I hunt w/ occassionally and he planted pines and cedars as well as CRP as a buffer between the roadway and his plots against the woods. It worked awesome for him but is sort of an investment so to speak but has paid off big for him.

He always had deer frequent the field but seldom ever during daylight hrs. Now w/ the cover from the road not only are the wildlife protected but feel comfortable enough to visit during daylight hrs.
thats kind of what i was thinking.....something similar to that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
Tough call. If you're talking about that open field to the north of your timber, I wouldn't put a food plot in there unless you could tuck it in back by the trees and get something growing that will cover it all winter so it can't be seen by the road. It's unfortunate all the trespasser/poachers ruin it for all of us sportsmen, because I know that would be a great hunting plot if there was no threat of road hunters. But if I'm thinking of the same field, I think that spot would be all too tempting for the local road hunters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by buxNdux
Tough call. If you're talking about that open field to the north of your timber, I wouldn't put a food plot in there unless you could tuck it in back by the trees and get something growing that will cover it all winter so it can't be seen by the road. It's unfortunate all the trespasser/poachers ruin it for all of us sportsmen, because I know that would be a great hunting plot if there was no threat of road hunters. But if I'm thinking of the same field, I think that spot would be all too tempting for the local road hunters.
your right same field......and road traffic is high
 

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
Joined
·
69,835 Posts
Originally posted by cummins5.9
Depends on how much poaching pressure you have. I know I sure wouldn't do it around here. My theory is why tempt people?
I'm with Cummins on thisun.... I've got a 5 acre field like this...

Trying to turn it into one of the most gawd-awful thickets in the county... Put my plots in the interior of my place, out of sight....:peepwall:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,389 Posts
Originally posted by ryanlowe02
Originally posted by alwyshntn
Another thought.....I have a friend in northern MO I hunt w/ occassionally and he planted pines and cedars as well as CRP as a buffer between the roadway and his plots against the woods. It worked awesome for him but is sort of an investment so to speak but has paid off big for him.

He always had deer frequent the field but seldom ever during daylight hrs. Now w/ the cover from the road not only are the wildlife protected but feel comfortable enough to visit during daylight hrs.
thats kind of what i was thinking.....something similar to that
Yup, plant some SCREEN COVER first!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
I've got a good size field that is wide open to road traffic and is loaded w/ deer at night but hardly ever a daylight sighting. I am trying the buffer similar to what my friend has that I mentioned, but in the meantime I picked a spot in the field that equalled close to 1.5 acres that somewhat rolled off the backside. I planted sorghum and sunflowers in the front of the plot for my temporary buffer so I could hunt in from year to year until my trees and grass take hold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,089 Posts
Tall NWSG does make a great screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,904 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is deer/car collisions. If the road is heavily traveled. The deer may cross and get hit. I know that is an issue at our farm. Find 2-3 deer dead on the side of the road every year. If you plant a plot it may increase the number of deer crossing in order to get to the food. I am thinking let the land grow up into a thick mess and leave the plots in the center of the property. Good luck:)
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top