Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me an idea of what it would cost per acre for some various plots? Assume that no equipment needs to be purchased. Also the ground is currently in fescue. What kind of time does it take?

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Here's a few guestimates for you.

Glyphosate=$10/acre per spraying. Probably need at least 2 sprayings.
RR beans= maybe $50/acre. About $35/50#bag @ 75#/acre.
Lime (if applicable)= if you can get someone to spread it, it runs maybe $15-18/ton installed if you can find someone to do it. If you need 3 tons/acre you are talking maybe $45-54/acre. Pelletized lime can get much more expensive.
Fertilizer: Wish I knew where to get something cheaper, but cheapest you can do in bag format is $8/40# for triple 12. If you want 200#/acre, you are talking $40/acre. That's about as cheap of fert as I've seen. Might be double that if you can't find some deals.

If can really add up so I try to see what I can skimp on, whether it be 100# of fert, only 1 spraying, free seed from the MDC or whatever. Best thing to do is spend money on lime if needed first.

Time depends if you've got the big boy equipment or not.

·
17,685 Posts
What if you don't have the equipment? How much do guys usually charge per acre from start to finish?

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
The last bunch I bought was $10/bag for 40# at Home Depot. I usually figure between $100 and $150 an acre for my clover and bean plots. Crops that need high nitrogen fertilizer will be more. The IW Power Plant I put in this spring ran me about $220 for an acre.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I try to find the cheapest and best seed, fert I can and I never really try to figure it too close but I would say with out a doubt I probably spend 1,000 per year doing my plots and this year I probably had 6-7 acres of beans 1 1/2 acre of milo grain sorghum and 2 -3 acres of clover and brassicas
that is not counting the cost of a tractor and equip which I already own, it aint cheap but what is and right now with 4 inches of snow, 16 degrees I think its worth it,
I really need to spend some more money of fertilizer this year and my understanding from my farm customers that fertilizer costs should be alot cheaper than last year,
I think Habitiat gave you some pretty good numbers to work from

·
Under appreciated
88,095 Posts
I think you can save on fert by planting leguminous crops... you'll get an N credit there.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Originally posted by hillbilly
What if you don't have the equipment? How much do guys usually charge per acre from start to finish?
It really just depends. There are so many variables. We look at the site, do some figuring to make it worth our time, and go from there. It isn't cheap to get equipment from one place to the next, of course, it is alot better than it was.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Originally posted by sparkie124
where do you get fert for 8 dollars for 40 lbs at
RMR found it at Orchelin's for that price. I still don't know if it is the same price now. Home Depot was about that last spring.

·
just a no body
14,533 Posts
this year I'll end up spending about $150 on my lil more than an acre..but thats a summer ( beans)& fall ( WW & turnip) thing

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
HD is 24 bucks for 40#'s of triple 13 nowadays. im sure it will be down some before planting time. im cheap when it comes to plotting.lime never done it,never had a problem with not doing it.i plant clover,wheat,oats,turnips and this year will be planting beans and maybe little corn in with them. will i lime those areas,probably not.ill put 150-200# of fertilizer out there and go from there.i got an idea this year for the beans and hoping the floods stay away:2thumbsup::2thumbsup:
as far as price i spent maybe 150 last year and all ill i need this year is enough wheat,oats and turnips and some fertilizer.bean and corn will be free fom MDC.clover will be good for coule years.RR will be extra for me this year although i still have 8 qts left from last year.work used to pay for all that

·
17,685 Posts
how do you get beans and corn free from the mdc
They used to give you food plots of your choice, don't know if they still do now or not

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Scott, I'm sure you've heard this before but if you would put down some lime your fert. will go MUCH farther!!:cheers::cheers: Lime instead of fert. for me every time.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Jay..he is just a hard headed kid...

Wait till he gets to be a preapprentice...HELLO real world! :stirpot:

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
how do you get beans and corn free from the mdc
Contact your county Private Lands Conservationist.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Lambeau Field say 200 million
Packers say 200 million
Turn da whole kickandkaboodle into a food plot for $10,000

So $400,010,000.00 Better than watching last nights game and ya got a good food plot eh!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts