Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a couple plot questions for those that have been doing this longer than I have. I have about 12 acres of open fields on my place. I planted 2ish acres on top where it’s flat. The rest of the open I would call gently rolling. The previous landowner lived out of state and had it enrolled in crp. Based on everything I’ve seen I don’t think he touched it once after the initial planting I assume he did. The 10ish acres I didn’t plot are currently absolutely worthless. Small briar patches here and there, ****leburrs, cedars, etc. I watched deer walk right through the trash many times last fall but never once stop and browse anything. I would like to start getting these areas cleaned up and growing something positive. I don’t have the time or equipment to do it all at once so my plan is to do half this year and half next year. Some of these areas are field edges so I want something that provides cover near them. What would you guys plant? Priorities are...

#1 erosion control.
#2 something/s that require little maintenance besides occasional mowing.
#3 Small game, quail, turks, etc are higher on the list for these areas than deer are. If deer like it too, all the better.

Ive already done a soil test and aside from a little lime and fertilizer it’s good to go. I don’t have ready access to a drill so everything planted will be broadcast. I do have my small tractor, small disk, tiller, and brush hog.

Second question is when/what maintenance do you guys do with established clover. I broadcast some stand alone cc last fall as part of my test to see what would grow and what the deer preferred. Last weekend we noticed it had flowered. Aside from some yellow rocket it looks pretty good. Initially my plan was to till everything in and start a new test run this fall but I’m now considering leaving this clover another year to see what it does. When do you mow it? How often? When is the time to apply fertilizer?

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
If its fescue now , killing it would be priority one for me. 02

Reactions: BC-Buck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I only plant clover in my food plot turn around areas and there edges not suitable to plant rye or turnip mixes. Only run brush hog through couple times a season to help control weed seed. Like said by Henry, killing off fescue will produce more tonnage of brows per acre than most food plots during growing season.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
CRP with native grass checks all those boxes. Not sure what kind of condition your crp is in but it may just take a timely burn or two with some herbicide applications. I wouldnt completely rule out what you already have.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CRP with native grass checks all those boxes. Not sure what kind of condition your crp is in but it may just take a timely burn or two with some herbicide applications. I wouldnt completely rule out what you already have.
I’m not sure what’s growing out there to be honest. I’d have loved to drop a match in it but I wasn’t prepared to do that when the timing was right. I’ll take some pics next time out there. I too thought some kind of native grass or something if I could find a good mix. I had a nice sized covey of quail out there but haven’t seen them since last fall

·
1,358 Posts
Clover/chicory on edges and slopes for roots to avoid erosion. I'd recommend paying attention to what's north facing and stays wet vs what gets cooked. Do you have clay? Sandy/loamy? All makes a difference for what grows, thrives, dies.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If you are unsure of what’s out there, might think about spraying the field with glyphosate after first frost this fall, then do an early winter burn and broadcast some native grasses and forbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts