Please Report Dead Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by MDC Deer, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

[rquote=2534223&tid=152649&author=henry][rquote=2534220&tid=152649&author=Rack_Hunter][rquote=2534218&tid=152649&author=henry][rquote=2534196&tid=152649&author=normanvalleyoutdoors]not what i wanted to hear about tonight....[/rquote]

This was last years outbreak in a few areas. Little early for this year.[/rquote]

If you saw the Palmer drought index for Missouri, you might be surprised, most of the state is in severe drought

LINK[/rquote]

What I was refering to was that its alittle early for ehd deaths to start showing up. I think they are not likely to start popping up till late july at the earliest. Usually later august is more like it.[/rquote]

I guess it was unusually warm last winter and in May, bugs thrive in that kind of climate. I have never cut wheat before in May or been done on June 10th.

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

[rquote=2534230&tid=152649&author=Rack_Hunter][I guess it was unusually warm last winter and in May, bugs thrive in that kind of climate. I have never cut wheat before in May or been done on June 10th. [/rquote]

We will have to see. I think late july would be a few weeks earlier than normal. We found them in late august and early sept when we had that outbreak in our area 2 years ago.

3. Rack_Hunter

[rquote=2534238&tid=152649&author=henry][rquote=2534230&tid=152649&author=Rack_Hunter][I guess it was unusually warm last winter and in May, bugs thrive in that kind of climate. I have never cut wheat before in May or been done on June 10th. [/rquote]

We will have to see. I think late july would be a few weeks earlier than normal. We found them in late august and early sept when we had that outbreak in our area 2 years ago.[/rquote]

EHD was here last year in late August and early September, I seen some buzzards circling Saturday, no way I am going into the tick infested woods to look for a dead deer when the KDWP would not even come out and look at a poached buck in the velvet two years ago.

4. RDoucey

RDoucey New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    SW Missouri
    My great grandma is 93 years old and we live in stone county and she says she hasn't seen it this bad since the 30s.

5. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

A Guy I know mentioned someone around Cape County found a couple of Deer dead from no known cause...I told him the MDC wanted it reported but I don't know if He followed thru? :shrug:

6. Rack_Hunter

[rquote=2552922&tid=152649&author=RDoucey]My great grandma is 93 years old and we live in stone county and she says she hasn't seen it this bad since the 30s.[/rquote]

1980 was much worse here around Pittsburg, KS. It was so dry, we quit planting soybeans and never got rain to finish planting them.

7. MDC Private Lands Deer

MDC Private Lands Deer New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    [rquote=2534230&tid=152649&author=Rack_Hunter][rquote=2534223&tid=152649&author=henry][rquote=2534220&tid=152649&author=Rack_Hunter][rquote=2534218&tid=152649&author=henry][rquote=2534196&tid=152649&author=normanvalleyoutdoors]not what i wanted to hear about tonight....[/rquote]

This was last years outbreak in a few areas. Little early for this year.[/rquote]

If you saw the Palmer drought index for Missouri, you might be surprised, most of the state is in severe drought

LINK[/rquote]

What I was refering to was that its alittle early for ehd deaths to start showing up. I think they are not likely to start popping up till late july at the earliest. Usually later august is more like it.[/rquote]

I guess it was unusually warm last winter and in May, bugs thrive in that kind of climate. I have never cut wheat before in May or been done on June 10th. [/rquote]

We (MDC) has received reports of deer with Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD / Blue Tongue)-like symptoms, but we've have not confirmed it by virus isolation. Reports started in June, which is early, but given the warm winter/spring and drought conditions, it makes sense. Please still report deer that are dead near water or unresponsive and standing in water or apparently sick.

8. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
  9. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Well it looks like its hitting the meramec river bad between Allenton and Eureka. Several dead deer on the banks and saw one standing unresponsive on the bank.

10. MDC Deer

MDC Deer New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    [rquote=2570815&tid=152649&author=BackyardBandit]Well it looks like its hitting the meramec river bad between Allenton and Eureka. Several dead deer on the banks and saw one standing unresponsive on the bank. [/rquote]

Thanks for the reports gentlemen! If you see a deer freshly dead or near death please contact the county conservation agent. We would like to test the animals to confirm the cause of death.

Thanks.

11. blackwateroutdoors

blackwateroutdoors New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    jasper county
    I found a nice 10 pt dead about 60-70 yards from my pond I called but nobody ever came out to look at it and the other day I found a 3pt (just the head of the 3pt) in my pond as its lost a lot of water in the last few weeks I'm In Vernon county

12. MDC Private Lands Deer

MDC Private Lands Deer New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    [rquote=2592621&tid=152649&author=blackwateroutdoors]I found a nice 10 pt dead about 60-70 yards from my pond I called but nobody ever came out to look at it and the other day I found a 3pt (just the head of the 3pt) in my pond as its lost a lot of water in the last few weeks I'm In Vernon county [/rquote]

Thanks for the report!

13. Bloodtrail 1

Bloodtrail 1 Grand PooBah

Dec 11, 2007
    Missouri
    Dr Grant Woods is reporting on his website that he has confirmed EHD on his property down in southern MO on August 7. If you guys have never been on his website you should. He sends out a video report every week with some really good info on it.

http://www.growingdeer.tv/#/ehd-hits-home

14. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=2595204&tid=152649&author=Bloodtrail 1]Dr Grant Woods is reporting on his website that he has confirmed EHD on his property down in southern MO on August 7. If you guys have never been on his website you should. He sends out a video report every week with some really good info on it.

http://www.growingdeer.tv/#/ehd-hits-home[/rquote]

he is just pimping his new concrete pond mold prototype:D

besides this is just a dry spell with after a wet early Spring, nothing to worry about:innocent:

15. stlhawk

stlhawk Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Found our first dead buck today in water and notified MDC.

16. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Saw two dead on the banks of Lake Jacomo this evening. Another fisherman found a third one.

17. mobuckhntress

mobuckhntress New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Missouri
    EHD in Randolph?

Third year for finding dead deer in Randolph County

We were checking out an 80 ac tract Sun by ATV and found two dead deer (a velvet buck and a doe) and smelled (possibly) a third by a small pond.

:whinging:

[file]268353[/file] [file]268355[/file]

[Edited on 8-21-2012 by mobuckhntress]

18. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Had a buddy find a buck and smelled another in Monroe county.

19. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Dead buck found in STL county.