Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Im not anti trapping, Im anti bad management decisions"

These are former Grant Woods interns. Interesting that they say they have never seen some management practices work..

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an hour long. You responded after 9 minutes. Pretty sure I know why you are so lost on turkeys.

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: thwackaddict

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump for the morning crowd.

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone should see it this morning because we don’t have much to do out here in the turkey woods. I couldn’t hunt yesterday and this morning I heard a whopping 1 bird. The population is great!!
#getoutofthecity
My population is good. Heard about 7 birds sunday morning in just one area of the farm. No one else hunted but I suspect there were more birds around. I do know that the area that was logged heavily 3 years ago is holding a TON of birds now. Guess they like that habitat again....

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
I will give the video a listen. Funny thing happened....I went out to listen this morning before school and the same farm where i heard exactly two gobbles yesterday from one turkey (and he died) well....this morning there were two turkeys gobbling out of the same tree the dead turkey barely gobbled in yesterday and there a total of a minimum 8 birds gobbling on a farm that we have taken 3 birds off of this year.
My point is, and i mean this in a constructive way, is that there are almost always more birds around than we think there are. I have pretty much given up trying to predict mornings birds will gobble well. It is only on those rare mornings like this morning when they all seem to be gobbling that we get an idea of how many there are really there.
If you arent ever hearing birds, then my guess is you have some habitat issues that cause the hens to be somewhere else. This same farm that we have taken 3 and i heard a minimum of 8 birds did not have a single turkey on it for all of deer season and it hasnt for the past five years... but every Spring they are there.
Looking at the MDC turkey harvest map and looking at my county and knowing how many birds we have around and seeing that many counties have killed two and three times as many birds as my county, i feel pretty confident that anyone who is willing to do a lot of homework whould be able to find birds in all but a very few counties in Missouri.
If they arent where you are hunting, i can ji ust about guarantee they arent very far.

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will give the video a listen. Funny thing happened....I went out to listen this morning before school and the same farm where i heard exactly two gobbles yesterday from one turkey (and he died) well....this morning there were two turkeys gobbling out of the same tree the dead turkey barely gobbled in yesterday and there a total of a minimum 8 birds gobbling on a farm that we have taken 3 birds off of this year.
My point is, and i mean this in a constructive way, is that there are almost always more birds around than we think there are. I have pretty much given up trying to predict mornings birds will gobble well. It is only on those rare mornings like this morning when they all seem to be gobbling that we get an idea of how many there are really there.
If you arent ever hearing birds, then my guess is you have some habitat issues that cause the hens to be somewhere else. This same farm that we have taken 3 and i heard a minimum of 8 birds did not have a single turkey on it for all of deer season and it hasnt for the past five years... but every Spring they are there.
Looking at the MDC turkey harvest map and looking at my county and knowing how many birds we have around and seeing that many counties have killed two and three times as many birds as my county, i feel pretty confident that anyone who is willing to do a lot of homework whould be able to find birds in all but a very few counties in Missouri.
If they arent where you are hunting, i can ji ust about guarantee they arent very far.
But... but... but.... they used to always be on this 40 acres Hooks!!! By the hundreds.... every morning we heard 30 different gobblers.....!!!!!!

·
Under appreciated
86,796 Posts
Everyone should see it this morning because we don’t have much to do out here in the turkey woods. I couldn’t hunt yesterday and this morning I heard a whopping 1 bird. The population is great!!
#getoutofthecity
Good Try Paul 😆 😆 😆

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
But... but... but.... they used to always be on this 40 acres Hooks!!! By the hundreds.... every morning we heard 30 different gobblers.....!!!!!!

The sahara used to be a grassland.
Again, not trying to be a jerk, but things change and it sometimes takes a lot of work to make a property attractive for wildlife.
We agree on that, however; I will also kill every racoon and possum I see...maybe just because it makes me feel better!

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I slowed down and let one cross the road the other day. Didnt watn to dig him out of the undercarriage...lol

·
Under appreciated
86,796 Posts
@Hooks The sahara transitioning took several hundred centuries. Most of the folks I hear talking about turkey numbers being lower are talking about over the last 5-10 years. Habitat changes in that time no doubt, but enough to cut turkey numbers by 1-2/3rd? Ozark oak/hickory climax, glades, etc where farming doesnt encroach much hasnt changed much in a very long time on the Ozark plateau, an area that easterns are VERY well acclimated to. The birds are still there, nobody I know minds working harder... just curious how/what has happened.

Reactions: 20' and Grundy

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Hooks The sahara transitioning took several hundred centuries. Most of the folks I hear talking about turkey numbers being lower are talking about over the last 5-10 years. Habitat changes in that time no doubt, but enough to cut turkey numbers by 1-2/3rd? Ozark oak/hickory climax, glades, etc where farming doesnt encroach much hasnt changed much in a very long time on the Ozark plateau, an area that easterns are VERY well acclimated to. The birds are still there, nobody I know minds working harder... just curious how/what has happened.
The decline started well before that. As did the habitat issues in the Ozarks. Did it just show up in force in the last few years? Yes. has it been coming for a long time? Absolutely. I would point out that people were very happy with the turkey flock just a few years ago.

·
Vendor
62,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was talking to hooks.
No one cares.

Did you listen to the podcast? Why would 2 Grant Woods interns that saw all his HUGE successes call trapping " bad maangement decision"??

1 - 20 of 172 Posts